Wiring Help (Read 131 times)
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Wiring Help
07/06/15 at 06:34:12

Im wiring a cat eye taillight to my bike, and don't understand the wiring diagrams on the tech page... My new light has two wires and the factory harness has three... which one is the positive, negative, and ground???

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Wiring Help
Reply #1 - 07/06/15 at 06:38:11

"IF" you could provide us with some wiring colors on your aftermarket tail light.....that could help. (Are you sure your new light is a brake/tail light with two filaments in the bulb....and not just a tail light?).

Most STOP/TAIL lights that only have two wires use the body of the light for the ground.....this only works on light that are made of metal.  Generally the "red" wire is the brake light....the other wire is tail light....and the ground wire on the bike needs to be attached to the bolts that attach the light to the bike.

You can use the wire diagram to figure out which wire color on your bike is the ground (generally black and white dots).  The brake light wire is white with black dots, and the running light is brown).

So you would attach the black wire on the bike to the bolts on the tail light.
You would attach the white wire with the black dots to the red wire on the tail light.
You would attach the brown wire on the bike to the "other color" wire on the tail light.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #2 - 07/06/15 at 06:45:10

One red, one black...

2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/06/15 at 06:47:59

savagerider87 wrote on 07/06/15 at 06:45:10:
One red, one black...

Are you sure you bought a brake/tail light with 2 filaments?

Red is generally connected to positive, black is generally connected to ground when you only have 2 choices.

If the light truly is a brake/tail light....then I would connect the red to the brake light, black to the running light, and the housing to ground.

Can you provide a link to the light you purchased?

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #4 - 07/06/15 at 06:52:03

2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/06/15 at 07:14:44

Says it is dual element...so red would be the brake light, black would be running light, and housing (bolts) are the ground.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/06/15 at 07:15:22

both leads are positive, the red most likely is the brake lite.  should be the brighter of the two.
hook the ground wire (blk/wht) to one of the bolts.

WWW   IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #7 - 07/06/15 at 07:19:21

Thank you guys! I really appreciate it!

2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #8 - 07/06/15 at 13:16:52

verslagen1 wrote on 07/06/15 at 07:15:22:
both leads are positive, the red most likely is the brake lite.  should be the brighter of the two.

If both available leads are 'hot", then NO wire shoud go to one of the bolts...no?

A cheap multimeter or auto test light will tell you all you need. Take the bulb out, there should be TWO contacts in the bottom of the bulb socket. Check continuity from each of the contacts to the stripped end of each of the wires. If each of the contacts goes to one of the wires, then red is the brake light (brighter) and black is the tail light(dimmer) and the ground is provided by the mounting hardware.

EASY test. Hold one of the mounting screws up against the negative terminal on any 12 volt battery. Touch the red, then the black...to the positive. The red should be brighter, the black dimmer.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/06/15 at 13:28:04

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 07/06/15 at 13:16:52:
verslagen1 wrote on 07/06/15 at 07:15:22:

If both available leads are 'hot", then NO wire should go to one of the bolts...no?

Both available leads are for "hot" to come in.  One is to supply voltage to the running/tail light.....the other one is to supply power to the brake light.  The mounting bolt is the 'chassis ground".

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 07/06/15 at 16:04:53

I'd wire it this way.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 07/06/15 at 16:30:57

If you have a battery charger and some wire, set the charger up, wires in the clamps. Negative, strip it back long enough to wrap around the base, or, clip the negative charger clamp straight on it, touch the wire from the positive to one of the buttons on bottom of the light, then the other.
Or, use an ohm meter. Learning this stuff is intimidating, but once you get it, you're gonna be shocked that you didn't understand. You hang in there, don't get impatient or discouraged.

Hold the bulb up and look. If you see two filaments, then one is brake, the other is turn.
Look at the stock bulb, see how it's wired, which filament gets lit up when you hit the brakes?
If the mounting bolts are the ground, make sure that they are grounded, not insulated by paint. You can even run a No Kidding ground wire from chassis to the mounting bolts.

http://www.elecdirect.com/catalog/crimp-wire-terminals

Or, solder a wire to a washer.. Buncha ways to skin this cat.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 07/06/15 at 18:42:50

I am not sure why....but Suzuki seldom runs the ground to the chassis.  The starter ground, and negative battery terminal are grounded to the chassis - but everything else obtains the ground from a wire.

For the things attached to the forks that makes sense....as the steering head bearings may not be good at reliably passing current.  (Headlight, running lights, turn signals).

The horn, rear turn signals, tail light, brake light, speedometer and instruments lights.....all are grounded by a wire.  I suppose it is an attempt to keep a good reliable ground - anyone that has ever owned and old trailer with lights knows that eventually the chassis ground becomes corroded...and your lights won't work anymore.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/06/15 at 19:17:47

That's why I suggested running a ground wire from the mount bolt to a dependable ground.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #14 - 07/06/15 at 21:01:56

The large LED light I had was a 2 wire setup since it was a trailer light. I just put an eyelit butt connector on the factory ground wire and slid it over the mount bolt when installing. Worked without having to sand down a painted surface. That's your best bet for the install.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 13:43:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wiring Help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.