Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
brake lights flash with turn signals (Read 96 times)
JohnsonLager

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

brake lights flash with turn signals
06/30/15 at 08:47:29

When I activate either turn signal, both turn on and the brake lights flash as well.  I have replaced all the switches on my bike with after market.
I suspect that I have a wiring issues.  I'm going to check my flasher today.  Does anyone have any advice where I should start?   Why would my brake lights be flashing with my turn signals?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: brake lights flash with turn signals
Reply #1 - 06/30/15 at 09:23:31

If it worked properly until recently, then I would suspect you have a problem with a pinched wire or two....or maybe someplace the turn signals and brake light have a common ground that has come loose.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 06/30/15 at 14:53:50

I would also suspect a grounding issue on this one.

When you put power to the bulb, it comes out the other side to go to ground.  If there is no ground, it will feed back through anything it can  until it does ground.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #3 - 07/02/15 at 08:54:46

I'd have to look closer at the schematic, but although I will certainly bow to those who have a greater knowledge of this specific bike...seem a bit weird to me that a loose ground would cause that.

In a series circuit, all of the bulbs would be in series, connected to the same hot. I would THINK that each of our bulbs gets it's hot from a specific place, i.e., the turn signal switch, the brake switch, etc. If all the lights are coming on when you use the turn signal, it would seem more likely that when you wired them up you used the same hot for all of the bulbs.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 07/02/15 at 11:01:12

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 07/02/15 at 08:54:46:
I'd have to look closer at the schematic, but although I will certainly bow to those who have a greater knowledge of this specific bike...seem a bit weird to me that a loose ground would cause that.

In a series circuit, all of the bulbs would be in series, connected to the same hot. I would THINK that each of our bulbs gets it's hot from a specific place, i.e., the turn signal switch, the brake switch, etc. If all the lights are coming on when you use the turn signal, it would seem more likely that when you wired them up you used the same hot for all of the bulbs.

Who knows what these folks did to put different handlebar switches on?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #5 - 07/02/15 at 16:03:22

I did notice that he said he swapped all of his switches out with aftermarket parts.

Ours is a pretty simple circuit, but if you dont know electricity or wiring then it's never a good idea to swap out all of your parts at one time, then close it all back and see if it works.

When you turn on the left turn signal (on a stock Savage), ONLY the left front and rear turn signal "hot" wire should get voltage from the blinker relay. They each have a specific hot lead.
If say, you tapped into that wire to use for a hot for all of your lighting, then yes..the blinker relay would be more than happy to flash every light on the bike.

Personally, I think you have a "hot" problem, not a ground problem.  You are sending power (through the new aftermarket switch) to all of the lights on your bike (except maybe the license plate bulb...as I believe that is a different circuit entirely) at the same time, causing them all to blink.

Do they blink at the normal speed? (I would think they blink slower ).

If you take all of the lens covers off and remove one bulb at a time starting with the front left turn signal bulb(they get hot, turn off the bike between bulb swaps) then try the turn signals, left...then right.
If removal of any one of the bulbs causes you to lose ALL of your lighting, then you grabbed the wrong wire to use for voltage to your new switch setup.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:23:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › brake lights flash with turn signals

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.