Send Topic Print
My Savage wont start!! (Read 176 times)
trevorw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

My Savage wont start!!
06/25/15 at 17:51:13

Hello! So last week I ran my bike out of gas and had to push the old girl home, it was great, hottest day of the year so far!!
SO here is the issue I am having,
I was riding down the road and the bike dies, i thought i had gas so I kept starting it up and it would start then when I would let out the clutch it would just die, the tank was on fumes.
So I kept trying to get er to start and eventually it wouldnt go, then the starter just stopped, when I hit the button there was kind of a clicking sound, I thought it was coming from the relay, so I replaced that and charged up my battery.
I hit the button and no go, all there is is a clicking sound coming from this thing that is under the gas tank, not sure what it is called, I am not a mechanic, but it just clicks when I hit the starter button.
I put my multi meter to the battery and when I hit the starter button  the battery goes down to like 6. something something, so I bought a new battery and its on the charger right now so hoping that is the problem, but if anyone has any ideas that would just be super duper.
Aaaaaaaaand yes I did do a search for this topic but could find nothing!
Thank fellow Savage riders!! Wink

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: My Savage wont start!!
Reply #1 - 06/25/15 at 18:21:15

So,... it sounds like you already know the problem...

You ran out of gas, and killed the battery trying to start it...

New battery,.. charge it fully (they usually come with a low or no charge)... then put gas in the bike...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/25/15 at 18:53:26

Well sounds like you did some troubleshooting and found the problem...Good job!  I might mention that clickety clickety from the starter almost always means bad/low battery.  I would venture to say you didn't need to replace the relay.  

Just out of curiosity, were you on reserve?  I mean if you were on reserve when the engine stalled then I think it would be a natural assumption you were out of fuel.  If you didn't know you were running out of fuel you might have the petcock set on the "prime" position.  You might want to check that.  

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/25/15 at 19:21:31

If you run outta gas, you've gotta put the petcock on prime and let the carb bowl fill up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
trevorw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/25/15 at 19:32:26

Thanks guys, I just wasn't sure if it may be something funky in the wiring as I have never heard that kind of clicking before! Thought possibly maybe something was shorted out.
I did not know about the prime thing, thats good to know, and it was on reserve, so from now on I will make sure its not on reserve, and if I go on any long trips I am taking extra fuel as I don't think these bikes get to make km's to a tank haha!
Thanks again brothers!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/25/15 at 19:45:57

The click is the solenoid. It chatters because the battery is too low on charge to hold the solenoid engaged . When it engages, its closing a switch, and that puts the starter motor in the circuit, drawing curent,lowering the voltage, causing the solenoid to have too few volts , it releases, opens, unloads , cycle repeats.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
trevorw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/25/15 at 21:00:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/25/15 at 19:45:57:
The click is the solenoid. It chatters because the battery is too low on charge to hold the solenoid engaged . When it engages, its closing a switch, and that puts the starter motor in the circuit, drawing curent,lowering the voltage, causing the solenoid to have too few volts , it releases, opens, unloads , cycle repeats.

Thank you for the info, I feel much better now and cant wait to hook up my battery tomorrow!

IP Logged
trevorw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/26/15 at 19:35:23

So I got the new battery in and whatta you know, what do i hear...."click"
so it wasnt the battery, if anyone has any ideas that would be sweet, maybe the starter? I did how ever push start it and it ran!!!!!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 06/26/15 at 19:48:00

trevorw wrote on 06/26/15 at 19:35:23:
So I got the new battery in and whatta you know, what do i hear...."click"
so it wasnt the battery, if anyone has any ideas that would be sweet, maybe the starter? I did how ever push start it and it ran!!!!!

I'll still say battery.  Check the voltage, check the terminals, cables, etc...

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 06/26/15 at 20:10:11

you did replace the relay, is it good?

sometimes they stick, give it a rap with a screwdriver.
check all the connections.

WWW   IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #10 - 06/27/15 at 02:36:56

I'm far from an expert, but that starter motor is not the greatest. The fact that you kept trying to start it over and over and over again...possible you seized the starter motor. The relay would still click because it is trying to do it's job.

I have never had my starter out of the bike so I have no idea if it is as simple as it looks (2 bolts), but if you can get it out...make sure it spins freely. Then hook a set of jumper cables to it and test it (for a very SHORT time). I'd advise having it clamped to a bench or a short piece of 2x4 when you test it...it may bounce around a bit.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 06/27/15 at 06:38:41

Save the wrenches.
Put it in Neutral
Jumper cables
Straight to the frame, engine block, something,battery ground,
Hot wire on starter terminal.
If it spins, aint the starter.

You can build smaller pigtails,if your jumpers are unwieldy,,get some cheapo jumpers from HARBOR FREIGHT or, hook up a battery charger, get 12 volts straight to the starter.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 06/27/15 at 10:03:12

Check all the connections... Battery to ground, battery to solenoid, to starter... etc...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
trevorw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/27/15 at 14:01:18

Thanks for all the tips, so here is an update, last night I figured it may be the starter so I did the old bypass everything and hooked up power right to the starter aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnd... NOTHING!!
So I took the starter off and checked it one more time hooking up some power to it and still nothing, so I took it apart which is super easy to do and voila, one of the magnets broke, there was pieces of magnet everywhere, so I took it all apart got all the old magnet out (there is four) and cleaned everything up. So now I know I will need a new starter housing, everything else was good in the starter, I put it all back together and threw it back in the bike and sure as shizubbles it started right up!
Thanks again for all your help!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/27/15 at 16:05:29

Ahhh, so, it was the old
Broken Magnet Trick, ehh, Chief?
Bummer, dude, but you figured it out...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:26:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My Savage wont start!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.