Send Topic Print
opinions on handlebars (Read 333 times)
Matt_greatlakesstate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Midland, MI
opinions on handlebars
06/23/15 at 12:52:05

Hey guys i'm in need of some advice for a new set of handlebars. Stock 01savage i'm 6' tall 220lbs. I have the stock bars on there and they seem so uncomfortable if im on my bike for more than a half hour. I find myself leaning forward to keep my back straight and these buckhorn style bars almost hit my knees when i turn. In your opinions whats the most comfortable combo with the stock seat and foot pegs? Thanks

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Re: opinions on handlebars
Reply #1 - 06/23/15 at 14:34:34

I like my drag bars with the 6" risers because they allow for a longer reach, but...  I'm short (only 5' 8") and even still my drag bars were too close when I got my bike.  I had to reverse my pullback risers to give me more room and I still think they're a couple of inches too close.  You being 6' tall surely have a longer reach than I have so I'd go with z bars if I were you...probably 9" would suit you.  I might also consider extending the forward foot controls as well.  That will change your posture entirely.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #2 - 06/23/15 at 14:55:28

One of the first things I did to my 2003 Savage was change the handlebars. Those stock buckhorn pullback bars made me feel like my elbows were always hitting my ribs on turns.

I looked around...sat on about a dozen different bikes...and decided on a set of 1" Triumph Bonneville bars. These are very similar to the Harley 883 sportster bars but the straight "handgrip" area is a bit longer than the HD bars.

The difference was huge. I'm 5' 11" and these new bars are much more comfortable for me. I used the stock 1 1/2" Savage risers but I will be changing them to a set of 3 1/2" aftermarket riser soon. Even with the stock risers the bike seems a lot more comfortable especially at low speeds.

triumph_bars.jpg

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/23/15 at 14:59:48

I'm about the same height and wt. as you and what check says is about right.

But I'd go to an independent store and just pick out a set that you like.
You'll want about 30" wide and at least 6" tall to clear the tank.
Take a set in your hands and extend your arms like you're riding.
If the pull back fits your wrists, that's the one for you.

You don't need dimples, you don't need holes.
when you fit your controls, just file off the "pin" that fits into the bar.
the control will grip the bar tight enough not to move on you.

WWW   IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #4 - 06/23/15 at 18:25:29

Verslagen, I decided to drill out my bars for the little tlt in the control brackets. I was amazed at how easy the bars were to drill into. Somehow I was expecting the chrome to be "harder", but I was able to do it with a cheapo Harbor Freight cordless drill. Only took about an extra 10 minutes and it gives me a bit more confidence that the controls will stay put.

Btw, the hole for that dimple is precisely 7" from the end of the bar (if anyone is interested). The position on the bar depends on your riding position. Just make a line completely around the bar at the 7" mark with a Sanford marker and then put your controls on. Get them into the right position and then move them back and forth . The nib will "scratch" off the black marker in the correct spot. Then simply drill about a .200" hole.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Matt_greatlakesstate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Midland, MI
Reply #5 - 06/23/15 at 18:58:46

Thanks for the advice. I might stop at the store and just feel out some bars they have there. Might possibly do the forward controls as well.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 06/23/15 at 19:14:55

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 06/23/15 at 18:25:29:
Verslagen, I decided to drill out my bars for the little tlt in the control brackets. I was amazed at how easy the bars were to drill into...

That's cool that you managed to drill the bars without a problem.  I've had chrome peel on me while drilling.  I think I'd rather cut the anchor pin just to be on the safe side...plus cutting the pin would make adjusting them later easier if you needed to or if the bike is sold.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
markbacon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New Zealand
Reply #7 - 06/23/15 at 19:30:36

I used Norman Hyde M Bars and ditched the risers. I'm about 5'11". They've been very good, just have to watch the tank clearance.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/23/15 at 20:02:34

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 06/23/15 at 18:25:29:
Verslagen, I decided to drill out my bars for the little tlt in the control brackets. ...Only took about an extra 10 minutes and it gives me a bit more confidence that the controls will stay put.

Well, I did that too the 1st time, then I readjusted the bars and realized how useless that was.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 06/24/15 at 03:15:04

On Off-Road bikes...we always leave the controls just loose enough that they are snug but can rotate with some pressure.  It helps keep from bending or braking in a fall, as they can rotate if they need to.

I do the same thing on my street bikes.....I tighten them just snug enough to stay put when riding..

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 06/24/15 at 09:17:22

Dave wrote on 06/24/15 at 03:15:04:
On Off-Road bikes...we always leave the controls just loose enough that they are snug but can rotate with some pressure.  It helps keep from bending or braking in a fall, as they can rotate if they need to...

That's a very sensible suggestion.  I'll take that advice and do the same to mine this afternoon.

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #11 - 06/24/15 at 12:43:08

Something else to keep in mind that's not talked about often enough. Your risers/bars are held on by a bolt that passes thru rubber bushings fitted into the triple tree. The taller the risers/bars the more stress your putting on the rubber bushings. Over time these deteriorate and cause movement/slop in your bars. For me personally unless your going with a drag bar type or broom stick type (straight bar) that won't clear your tank try your best to get the rise required to clear out of the bars and not the riser. The closer the mount point of the bars are to the triple tree the less stress your putting on those bushings. You can also swap to urethane bushings that hold up better. To many times I've seen guys with 6+" risers and you can literally shift the bars around because it's over exerting force on the bushings.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #12 - 06/24/15 at 12:58:56

street-tracker bars, no risers! +1 Cool

IP Logged
Canadian_kiwi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/24/15 at 18:06:46

I use my drag bar and just turned the risers 180 deg and the extra reach is excellent for me as I have a very long upper body

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 06/24/15 at 18:23:58

Canadian_kiwi wrote on 06/24/15 at 18:06:46:
I use my drag bar and just turned the risers 180 deg and the extra reach is excellent for me as I have a very long upper body

That's what I did too, but 01suzsavage has the buckhorns currently so this really isn't the option for him.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:31:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › opinions on handlebars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.