Send Topic Print
opinions on handlebars (Read 333 times)
Matt_greatlakesstate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Midland, MI
Re: opinions on handlebars
Reply #15 - 06/24/15 at 19:13:38

The stock risers? Drag bars are like 20 bucks on ebay its worth a try for the feel for that cheap

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 06/24/15 at 21:02:20

My opinion?
Like government, a necessary evil. Optimally,they would work more like arm rests, but, to herd the beast down the road, and control clutches and carburetors and stuff, dude, you're gonna hafta get ya some.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #17 - 06/24/15 at 22:20:26

Rylee wrote on 06/24/15 at 12:43:08:
Something else to keep in mind that's not talked about often enough. Your risers/bars are held on by a bolt that passes thru rubber bushings fitted into the triple tree. The taller the risers/bars the more stress your putting on the rubber bushings. Over time these deteriorate and cause movement/slop in your bars. For me personally unless your going with a drag bar type or broom stick type (straight bar) that won't clear your tank try your best to get the rise required to clear out of the bars and not the riser. The closer the mount point of the bars are to the triple tree the less stress your putting on those bushings. You can also swap to urethane bushings that hold up better. To many times I've seen guys with 6+" risers and you can literally shift the bars around because it's over exerting force on the bushings.

I found this post very interesting. When I put the new Bonneville bars on my Savage they felt very comfy...even though they are about 2 1/2" lower at the elbow than the stock buckhorns. Since they dont DROOP like the buckhorns, my hands are actually higher than with the stock bars and tank clearance is about 2". They are also wider from tip to tip than the standard bars.

I was thinking about getting those 2 inches or so back by going with a set of aftermarket risers. I searched ebay, Amazon, JP Cycles, BikeBandit...and there are a couple that look real nice to me. The problem is, they wont work with the stock riser hardware (M10 IIRC) Most have 1/2"-13 threads in the bottom. There is also the issue of our bushing/dress cap that I havent seen on any other bike. I havent had it apart, but it seems there are rubber bushings inside the triple tree with a chrome "dress cap" on the top and bottom. I looked for these items EVERYWHERE because one of mine is pitted...and could not find them. Just yesterday I ordered a triple tree set off ebay from a garaged 2004 Savage and the bushings, bolts, risers AND dress caps come with. They are all in like-new condition...for a price of $29 shipped. I was happy as a clam to find it.

Ok...after all that, here is the question: When adding aftermarket risers, do I have to use the stock bushings and dress caps? If so, the caps would need to be bored out to 1/2". There IS another option I found.

EZ-Locl makes threaded inserts (industrial grade) that screw down into a 1/2"-12 or 1/2"-20 thread and the I.D. thread is metric M-10! They cost a few dollars for a bag of 4. This would allow me to use any Harley or other risers and still use my stock Savage mounting hardware.

Here are the risers I am looking at...3" straight.

JP_risers.jpg

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #18 - 06/24/15 at 22:22:17

And here is what the threaded inserts look like. Made of carbon steel and have locking compound already added...

e-z-lok-thread-insert-carbon-steel.jpg

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 06/24/15 at 22:25:47

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 06/25/15 at 06:21:10

The little "dress caps" and rubber bushings under the risers are Suzuki parts.  If you want to find them you have to go to a dealer or an online parts seller.  Some of these parts are specific to the S40/LS650....and the only choice you have is to buy the factory part.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #21 - 06/25/15 at 10:42:03

Vers, I appreciate the ingenuity and creative flair that the guys here on the forum have....honestly I do, but I would prefer to have a solid one-piece riser assembly if possible.

If this bike was a junker/hobby/who care what it looks like/ bike, then the socket mod would be fine. I dont mind spending 40-50 bucks on a nice set of risers.

I would like to keep the stock hardware though...hence the reason for my post  Smiley

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #22 - 06/25/15 at 11:18:26

'SCOOTWORKS' have studs that are 1/2-13 thread on one end and M10 on the other. Work perfectly, you can use any riser, on any bike. Easy solution. Cool

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #23 - 06/25/15 at 12:34:08

zipidachimp wrote on 06/25/15 at 11:18:26:
'SCOOTWORKS' have studs that are 1/2-13 thread on one end and M10 on the other. Work perfectly, you can use any riser, on any bike. Easy solution. Cool

That's excellent.  Here's the link for that stud if anyone needs it http://www.scootworks.com/shop.cgi/page=partsstuds.htm/SID=1435259398.13084

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #24 - 06/27/15 at 02:39:14

Thanks for the link!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #25 - 06/27/15 at 11:42:14

Harley Davidson Evo era Road King bars. With 2" baby dog bone risers clamped in the stock risers. Biltwell grips, rubber with palm swell and gunstock checkering.

Have the same bars (Shovelhead era FLHP instead of Evo FLHR) in 6 inch rise dog bones (70s originals, AEE cast) on the other Savage. Excellent feel for a 6'2" 235 pound rider with a 34" inseam.

Have used 13.5" rise apehangers and 15" rise apehangers. Loved them, but they wear the stock riser bushings out quick fast and in a hurry, so, use fender washers instead.

Current set up:

Bike that had a fatal electrical meltdown:

Real dog bone risers and Shovelhead police bar: Yes, that fender and pipe, the floor boards and saddlebags are on the black one now.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #26 - 06/27/15 at 11:48:21

And yes, former HD chopper guy, here's what is left of my 1957 Panhead powered barhopper. Knucklehead frame, Shovelhead transmission, springer off an old Big Twin flattie...

Yep, real spool front hub. 6v kick only. 1200cc engine. Hydraulic rear drum, and that is a 1970s Acme tire on the back. 2 gallon (usable) fuel tank.

Had to leave it behind when we moved, the friend I got it from wasn't ready for it to go across country and reclaimed it.  :'(

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:21:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › opinions on handlebars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.