Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tail light wattage? (Read 201 times)
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Re: Tail light wattage?
Reply #15 - 06/30/15 at 22:49:40

Thanks chzeckmate...copied and pasted into my 'things to know" Savage folder Cheesy

I'm having "issues" Undecided

Currently I have the bike partially torn down as I am trying to do 5 things at once. The seat mod caused me to need to move the regulator, the new saddlebags (which are just flat out gorgeous) caused me to need to re-locate the rear turn signals so I am fabbing a mount for that and extending the wiring, I am adding 2 small bullet running lights (red, LEDs, 3 watts each) to the rear fender just behind the chrome pillion handles, I have the tank off, the battery box out and  side covers off.

My issue is that I am having trouble getting past the "it's MY darn bike and I can do whatever I want to it...including drill holes!" mindset. It's not that the bike is, or ever will be, a showpiece. It was cheap to begin with do it's not like I am "ruining" a $12,000 Harley. I guess I am just trying to make sure I "do no harm" like drill holes in the wrong place, pinch wiring, change airflow, bla bla bla. The bike has been in this condition for 5 days now. THREE of those days, we had T storms that were pretty nasty at times, so outdoor work wasnt an option.

So, I did what any red-blooded American motorcycle enthusiast would do. I bought another bike to play with while I work ever so slooooooooowly on the Savage.

Saw this bike on GL fo $1,400. Called the lady and she told me it had sold.
She called me back 3 days later and said the sale had fallen through, she was moving and the bike HAD to be gone that day. I got it for $800.

2007 Honda Nighthawk 250 with under 5,000 miles. Drove it home yesterday and it rides perfectly. New tires, center stand (aftermarket, still in the box), new battery and all maintenance done locally by Team Powersports in Garner NC. Bike is fun to drive and will serve as my MSC training bike.

my_nighthawk.jpg

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #16 - 06/30/15 at 22:50:24

I'm HOPING you guys wont disown me!

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #17 - 07/01/15 at 00:00:50

That's a pretty good deal you got there.  I'm looking for something like that for my daughter.  She'll be old enough for her first bike in four months.  Maybe you'll decide to sell it after you get the Suzuki fixed.  Anyway, keep us updated.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 07/01/15 at 02:49:48

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 06/30/15 at 22:50:24:
I'm HOPING you guys wont disown me!

Naaah!  Many of us stray in times of no running bike, and we all need something to ride when we are running to get parts for the Savage.  I bought a 250 Ninja with a blown engine last year, and it is a blast to ride.  I am sure many folks look at is and figure I must be a beginning rider - but the darn thing runs and rides great....it can run faster down the superslab than the Savage and gets 70+ mpg! It is also the bike I ride when there is a chance of rain, as I really don't care if it gets wet or dirty.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 07/01/15 at 05:42:46

Bike is fun to drive.

Not exactly a full ride report. Certainly a good price . I know enough about the Ninja,,,  if I was still a rider, ohhh yeah, Git me onna them. Its a little twin,
Howzabout a bit of a write up on the Honda?
And, BTW, you'll notive FSO members. Once a member, always a member, till you decide to not come back.Unless we dont get a good write-up,then we take a secret vote, thru PMs,  bwahahaha,,,,  Yeah, scary,

Vers, how do you take a pic, then add arrows and labels?
Ohh, never mind,  im not doin it, just,   thats cool.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #20 - 07/01/15 at 08:01:50

I am so jealous
I've wanted a Nighthawk for AGES, but when I see one, it's either overpriced, or I'm too broke

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #21 - 07/01/15 at 20:15:02

Just got back from a 10PM "gee, I'm bored and it's nice and cool out" ride on the Nighthawk Cool

First impressions:
I'm almost 5' 11" tall and 190 lbs and I "sit" better on the Hawk than I do on the Savage. The forward controls will fix that eventually.

It isnt much smaller than the savage...just standing back and looking at the side by side, but it is a LOT lighter. Tires are thinner and smaller. It feels smaller in ways like..the handlebars and grips. Definitely going to go for a larger diameter grip for my big monkey paws.

It rides a bit like an enduro or dirt bike with street tires on it. Extremely nimble and handles like a bicycle at low speeds. It's no wonder a lot of schools use these for MSC training. I could do cones slower than a walking pace without putting my feet down. Really, a 14 yr old could easily and safely ride this bike.

5 speed tranny and shifts very clean. Chain drive is super smooth. Gets to 45-50 in a hurry...after that, it's a bit more work. Wide open in 5th she does 70 on a flat road. Hunch over the tank and pull your knees in, shell get to 75-76 mph. You can lock the throttle wide open and drive like that for hours at a time...the motor seems happy as a clam. I drove a 5 mile stretch of twisting country road last night in 5th at full throttle and never had to throttle down. She leans really easily and the tires bite very nicely for such a light bike.

The bike never sounds like it is "working". The little twin just hums along. Jumping on the throttle in 4th gear doesnt do much. Passing a cager at 35 is easy...at 55? It takes a bit of forethought and planning.

All in all the bike is completely pleasant to drive. It will not challenge anyone with it's power or speed, but I find that driving a slow bike fast...is more fun than driving a fast bike slow Smiley It will never be competition for the Savage, but it is doing exactly what I bought it for. Just jump on, no choke or warm up, and go. Comfortable enough to drive around town or even for 1-2 hour drive's...as long as you arent on the freeway. Seat and sitting position are very much like the standard bikes of old...the Kawi 350, honda CB series, etc.

I've been on a rebel and to me...the Hawk is much more comfortable and stable platform. Cant say anything about the Nighthawk 450 or 750 models, but I am curious as to whether or not they have the same comfortable feel.

That better J_o_G?

« Last Edit: 07/03/15 at 10:15:39 by Boogie_with_Stu »  

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 07/02/15 at 21:36:12

IMO they would, I have always found standards more comfortable than cruisers, or any other type of bike, for that matter, aside from maybe a tourer (most of which are standards with a lot of tupperware tacked on, or were, at first)
A standard will never beat a sportbike in the twisties, but it'll out sport most non sport bikes
It won't tour as well as a dresser, but it'll out tour most non tourers, and it'll cruise, too
heck, I used to take mine 'soft roading'

I love standards, I wish they were still the most common bike

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:27:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tail light wattage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.