Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tail light wattage? (Read 201 times)
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Tail light wattage?
06/19/15 at 18:04:39

Anyone know how many watts our tail light/brake light pulls?

I'm considering adding a pair of running lights to the rear end, and dont want to add power drain. I figured if I went with a good quality LED brake light, and 2 small running lights....it would work OK so long as the new configuration pulls about the same power as the original incandescent brake light bulb.

Any help would be, as always, greatly appreciated.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Tail light wattage?
Reply #1 - 06/19/15 at 18:23:16

Most places rear running lights must be red...

You'll need a solid state flasher if you go LED...
That's the only way you'll stay below stock wattage...

Cheap LED lights are not very bright, and very directional...

Dave knows some good sources for bright ones...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 06/19/15 at 19:48:54

Varies a bit by manufacturer but an 1157 bulb is around 25 watts for the bright(brake) filament and around 8 watts for the dim(taillight) filament.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/20/15 at 03:46:28

This is an excellent LED bulb to use in the tail light, it uses 1 watt on the running light and 3 watts on the brake light.  You can get it with a flasher that pulses 3 times when the brake is applied.....or without the pulse.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/car-strobe-modules/1157-led-bulb-w-b...

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-w-refl...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 06/20/15 at 07:24:11

Nice, I thought the bulbs would be higher priced

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #5 - 06/20/15 at 07:44:18

Thanks for the info and the links!

Ok, so if I drop the tail light/brake light to 3 watts max, I should have plenty left over to add 2 10-12 watt incandescent red running lights.

I picked up a beautiful set of zip-off saddlebags but the stock turn signals are in the way. I'm going to relocate them to the license plate area. I also have a very nice set of black mini-bullet lights with red lenses that use small 10 watt peanut bulbs that I was thinking of putting on the fender as red running lights.

So, the new bullet lights with an LED replacement bulb = 23 watts. The stock turn signals will stay the same, just in a different location.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/20/15 at 08:26:30

Well.....you are actually only reducing the 8 watt running light down to a 1 watt running light....and saving 7 watts.

The brake light portion of the bulb will be reducing the load from 24 watts down to 3 watts - but honestly how much of your ride is the brake light on........1% of your total ride time?  Same thing for the turn signals.....they are very little of the total ride time.  If your could find a clear or amber 1157 bulb to put in the front turn signals/running lamps you could save some energy....both front running lights are using 8 watts each.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #7 - 06/20/15 at 15:26:23

Duh Huh My helmet must have been on too tight that day lol. Thanks Dave.

Sooooooooo....rather than two 10 watt red running lights in the rear, I can use two 3 watt Cree LED bulbs in the running lights.

(another math attempt: this could get ugly)

tail light at 1 watt + two red running lights at 3 watts each = 7 watts.

Better?

I have tons of stuff lying around from years of electronic projects. LED's and ballast resistors and switches and dials and buttons and...well, you get it.

Right now I am still working on re-positioning the rear turn signals so the new bags can fit. I moved the rectifier to the low area just rear of the air intake so the saddlebag strap would lay flat. Going to mount the turn signals on the license plate with a home brew bracket.

I did have the Sportster seat on it but it just didnt feel right...and I hated all that open space under the seat. I may try heating up the plastic seat tray and bending it more to my liking. I'd give my left nut for that beautiful seat that Corbin makes for the Savage...but at $330 it aint happenin'.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 06/21/15 at 00:26:24

Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 06/20/15 at 15:26:23:
...I moved the rectifier to the low area just rear of the air intake so the saddlebag strap would lay flat. Going to mount the turn signals on the license plate with a home brew bracket...

I'm planning the exact same thing you're doing.  Are you at all concerned about heat with the rectifier?  The seat seems to have an molded airflow channel specifically for the rectifier to dissipate heat from the stock location.  

Also, when my rectifier recently went bad it produced an enormous amount of heat and after closer inspection I noticed that it had completely melted some nylon strings from my bags that were tucked under the seat.  If your rectifier goes out and it's sitting on, or close to other wiring I think it could possibly melt the casings.  

I removed my saddlebag yoke and replaced with two straps to avoid moving the regulator/rectifier.  I would really like to put the yoke back on.  Is moving the r/r forward safe?  If it is then I sure would like to see a pic of your relocation.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 06/21/15 at 20:32:56

Ok, now i'm confused.

If I lower the voltage of my lighting, my rectifier is going to burn up?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/21/15 at 20:43:22

The charge system output is only slightly less than the bike uses, leaving only a few watts to be dumped, in the form of heat.
Decreasing the amount USED increases the amount that the RR has to dump.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 06/21/15 at 21:33:24

OR

No, it won't burn up.  But, it will cause it to have to sink more power making it run hotter which will eventually kill it.

Shindengen doesn't provide data sheets. They say they manufacture for manufacturers only and contact your motorcycle manufacturer for specs.

From what little I have been able to find, our regulator is approx a 20A unit.  The Diodes will handle 20 amps. It should be able to sink around 20A with good ventilation and cooling. Begin derating at 40deg C.  I can't find a derating factor or formula though. The diodes generate heat switching as well as the heat being generated from burning off the excess power.

I have seen wattage quoted for our stator from around 100 to 180w.
I have no way of knowing which is right. 100w would be just over 8 amps at 12v or 7A at 14v. 180w is 15A at 12v and 12.8A at 14v.

I wouldn't load it much more with shunting than what it already is...especially considering the terrible ventilation mounted under the seat.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #12 - 06/22/15 at 19:56:33

I'm planning the exact same thing you're doing.  Are you at all concerned about heat with the rectifier?  The seat seems to have an molded airflow channel specifically for the rectifier to dissipate heat from the stock location.  

Also, when my rectifier recently went bad it produced an enormous amount of heat and after closer inspection I noticed that it had completely melted some nylon strings from my bags that were tucked under the seat.  If your rectifier goes out and it's sitting on, or close to other wiring I think it could possibly melt the casings.  

I removed my saddlebag yoke and replaced with two straps to avoid moving the regulator/rectifier.  I would really like to put the yoke back on.  Is moving the r/r forward safe?  If it is then I sure would like to see a pic of your relocation.

chzeckmate...I'm an electronic engineer by trade but I have forgotten anything I learned about closed 12 volt systems. The principles however, remain the same: Power (watts) is equal to the Amperage X the Voltage of the circuit. Even without knowing the exact resistance of the entire circuit, or the wattage rating of the rectifier/regulator...we can still come up with some nominal values.

I find it disturbing that your old Rectifier go so hot that it melted plastic. Normally a unit like that will fail OPEN. It is possible in your case, the alternator output (roughly 100 volts I think) was allowed to go straight to ground through the damaged rectifier/regulator. That would certainly turn the heat sink into a heater in a hurry. Not good.

The area just behind the air intake manifold does indeed have a lot of crap in the way. That is the area where all of the bikes wiring seems to meet up. Moving all of those wires and plugs/connectors out of the way isnt really possible. After reading your story, I started looking for alternative locations.

I have read somewhere that some Savage owners have relocated the R/R to the airbox. They bolt it to the plastic door/cover that covers the filter. Although I have a photo of a regulator set up like that, I have no clue how they did it. MY R/R is way to big and doesnt even fit inside that little plastic cover. The footprint is too large and the height of it makes it stick out close to an inch. Maybe I have an aftermarket R/R? Also, just stuffing the unit into the airbox in front of the air filter doesnt sound like a very good idea.

If I leave it where it is...bolted to the fender right behind the air intake, I suppose I could wrap all of the wiring that is nearby with heat resistant Fiberglas tape. It is rated at over 900 degrees F.

Another possible location would be to bolt it to the front side of the chrome battery box(under the carb). It actually doesnt look too bad in that location, although it does cover up a bit of the chrome. Of course, getting rid of the airbox altogether and going with a straight RYCA cone filter would free up tons of room....but I am not ready to go that route yet.

I'll update this as the week goes on...I'll be working on the bike all week. Anything that looks promising, I'll post pics.

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 06/22/15 at 20:33:18

Great!  I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.  I've seen the r/r mounted on top of the battery box on the right side (brake lever side) of the air intake hose.  Blue Collar Bobbers does it like that.  I don't like the way that looks though.  I've been thinking about the airbox delete but I'd rather not if I don't have to.  

Here's the BCB solution https://youtu.be/XsS7hNN4SQo?t=6m28s

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 06/27/15 at 21:15:38

I thought I'd revisit this just in case you're still working on your project or if anyone wants the info.  This is from the LS650 manual

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:21:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tail light wattage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.