Exhaust leak (Read 112 times)
webbrob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

San Diego, CA
Exhaust leak
06/10/15 at 21:19:54

So, I've been riding a bit more these days. The bike is finally getting some mileage on her I hit 5K last week, after only putting 4k in the first 6 years I owned her.

Just the other day I discovered what sound to me like an exhaust leak. It appears to be coming from the exhaust hole, and sounds to me like she is becoming the Jetson's "space car" when cold.

I don't have a proper garage at this time, I will be getting my hands on a candle and trying to find a not so windy place to test for a leak. Any ideas on what the cause may be? I'm wondering if there is a hole or something inside the muffler causing this.

2008 S40
Castrol 4T Oil with ZDDP, K&N filter, Dyna Muffler.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Exhaust leak
Reply #1 - 06/10/15 at 21:26:06

Stock muffler tends to whistle/chirp.
Sounds like a VW sorta,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
webbrob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

San Diego, CA
Reply #2 - 06/10/15 at 21:43:01

I'll probably have to get a video on here, it is worse than the VW sound you speak of, and only recently started sounding this way. After a 20mile ride it goes away, only to come right back after shutting it off, if even for a few minutes.

2008 S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 06/10/15 at 21:49:38

Probably a good idea.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #4 - 06/11/15 at 09:23:21

It seems like OEM Savage mufflers are prone to internally rust. They will either get holes within the inner shell or an internal baffle will start breaking loose and vibrate, resulting in chirping or whistling sounds.

They are not worth messing with. Save yourself a lot of grief and get the Harley Dyna muffler that many people on this board use. They are cheap when bought used, They are good quality, they sound better than the stocker without being obnoxious and they are a pretty easy install when you get the proper one.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298689417

IP Logged
webbrob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

San Diego, CA
Reply #5 - 06/15/15 at 09:23:28

Got me a couple of dyna mufflers heading my way. Any one have a good place to get a decent clamp. I tried finding the clamp on the HD website with no luck. Summit and places like that don't really have the wider 1.75" clamp recomended in these forums.

2008 S40
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 06/15/15 at 09:35:38

In the post above yours there is a link to the muffler install and different part number clamps that people have used..

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/15/15 at 09:59:16

Rob,

Harley really only uses one exhaust clamp for most applications the part number is; 65296-95A

They are about $7.00 each for a brand new one.

Used Harley clamps are not a good deal as the heat from a Harley eventually destroys the threads on the bolt and nut.

Harley clamps are sold for use on Jeeps and all kinds of equipment. They are the best clamps made for our Savages.

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/15/15 at 20:12:04

Search

T-clamp

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:35:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.