Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Success on 454 pulley mod. (Read 257 times)
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Success on 454 pulley mod.
06/09/15 at 19:24:58

So the pulley was picked up today from the machinist, there is a issue with not having enough teeth to get the lock washer to rest on the transmission shaft, He said he will fix that tommorrow for me.

I did have to slide the rear axel out to be able to get the belt over the rear pulley.

Adjusting the belt tension all the way out and moving the axel forward all the way it would ( its actually like 1/16 in past the forward most mark on each side.... is that bad could be bad for bearings? )

Anyway while it was up on stand strapped down, tension proper on belt and rear wheel alligned I throttled her up to see if there was any wobble in the belt and wheel and there is none in either.

Put on and removed for more grinding of the pulley cover, got all the grinding gone from that, throw on the belt guard, and final time for the pulley cover.

Last thing to tighten down before a quick test run ( was only going around the block do not want to go further without the lock washer ) the lower nut and bolt holding the left rear spring and belt guard in place.

So anyone have a spare to sell Sad or is the right side the same lenght as the left that I could take it to match at Fastenal or Lowes.

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Re: Success on 454 pulley mod.
Reply #1 - 06/10/15 at 05:04:18

wow I didnt explain that well at all last night.

The bolt connecting the rear of the belt guard and the strut to the swingarm snapped....

# 15 on this pic and # 18 nut.

Is the bolt on the other side the same size?  I am really in a bind now and may have to cancel my trip to the tail at the end of month. The OEM part stores are saying delivery around the 30th......

Is there a replacement that I could do that isnt OEM, fastener and spacer...  allthread and 2 nuts.....

pic_002.jpg

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/10/15 at 05:22:42

Sometimes it is just easier/faster to get a new part from the dealer.

Do you have a dealer nearby...the bolt is listed as $ 7.94 and the nut at $ 1.94.  If you got them to order it for you it would most likely be there next week.

You could order online - but most of those online dealer don't have parts in stock and order them from a warehouse....so it would take just as long as ordering form a dealer.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #3 - 06/10/15 at 08:46:43

Here it is with the new pulley on no nut. I did not have so cut the rear mounting for the cover plate or put the smaller pan head screw to the oil pan. It is not touching or rubbing either.

imgurl

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 06/10/15 at 18:26:45

Out of curiosity -- what year and model pulley specifically? I'm having trouble with mine and want to document specifically what is known to work. Mine was listed as a 1986 EN450 p/n 13144-1115.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #5 - 06/10/15 at 19:31:28

I had a horrible noise on mine as well, the belt was at the furthest line indicator forward for least amount of belt tension, and it was still too tight.

We strapped it to the lift and I pulled up on the belt as hard as I could while my pop locked in the tensioner. Then aligned the wheel.

Bear in mind I have yet to have it on the road yet,  or under load ,only to rev it while on stand to check alignments.

I did that from the noise there was marks on the teeth of the belt, just how you are describing like the teeth were not meshing together right, but only on the left hand side. Fixing the tension fixed the noise which hopefully fixed the teeth meshing together properly.

I can tell you I am a good 1/16 in past the stock indicators of the rear wheel alignment. And that at the factory markings the least tension mark was too much tension.

IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #6 - 06/11/15 at 08:52:41

So bike is finally back together, bolt replaced with one to ride with for now. And I have to say the gear change is very noticeable. I also did fine tuning of the idle while it was on stand brining it to 10mph with clutch out in first and no throttle.

I can ride it under load ( 160lbs of me ) in first and second without giving any throttle and clutch all the way released.

Dont know if the gear change had anything to do with it, but the bike is not backfireing on roll out either now, ( i do a cleaning of the air filter too )

Rode past a spot where I new there was a speed reader indcator for a high traffic area, 50 mph on speedo and the laser was telling me 54mph.

IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #7 - 08/01/15 at 06:40:03

Quick update,

About 600 miles after install still going good no wear on the belt other than pics I posted that were probably from a stone in one of the pulleys. Doing first long trip on bike since the change where will put some decent highway miles on it. NJ to Virginia ( anyone good at planning a route? Would like to stay off I95 )

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 08/01/15 at 09:54:21

I'm jealous!  Tongue

I tried forever to get rid of the belt noise on mine and just gave up. I tried "too tight" to "too loose" on the belt with no success.  Congrats on the mod! From what I hear, you'll love it on the highway!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 08/03/15 at 19:47:00

Could you possibly take some pics of how you have your adjusters set?

Maybe post a video of the belt turning as you spin the rear tire by hand? I'd like to hear what it sounds like.

I'm at my wit's end with this thing! I can't seem to get my pulley to be as quiet as stock. I want this to work and know it will considering others on this forum have had success with it.

IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #10 - 08/04/15 at 17:16:48

sure can will b a couple days though

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 08/04/15 at 18:06:41

Thanks! Greatly appreciated! I'm almost to the point of pulling my hair out over this!  Cheesy

IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #12 - 09/06/15 at 17:42:12

Kris I have 3 short videos of the bike on the lift but no idea how to post it here....  send me a email or a pm with your email I can send some videos to you

IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #13 - 09/06/15 at 18:01:36

https://youtu.be/3-2BzHN0bJs   Engine Running
https://youtu.be/jWcIlFE3Hrs     Spinning Belt by hand
https://youtu.be/Hfc2Q5IMdB8   Belt in Neutral from rev in first

hope this helps

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 09/07/15 at 19:25:17

I've played with my pulley so often I've grown tired of pulling it on and off. Maybe I'll try again when riding season comes to an end and I have one of those days I have to bond with my bike!  Cheesy

Mine is not nearly that quiet.

Thanks for the vids! It gives me hope!  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 04:55:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Success on 454 pulley mod.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.