Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question re: oil leak at speedometer cable (Read 35 times)
Tomi
YaBB Newbies

Pas de voictoire
sans la guerre

Fairview Park, Ohio
Question re: oil leak at speedometer cable
06/07/15 at 10:09:01

On checking the bike over after returning from a road trip, I noticed an oil leak that seemed to source from the Speedometer cable.  Examination revealed that the connection was not snug; I must not have finger tightened it on reassembly after the petcock upgrade. (I'll deflect your first question here:  No, I didn't lose the seal.  It is there, quite safe and sound.  We won't talk about how close it came to living in the driveway, though...)

Generously, I've put maybe 500 miles on the bike since the upgrade.  I didn't observe any oil in that area when I checked the bike before setting off on my trip.

Other than tightening that down, and checking my oil level, is there anything else I should do or double check?  Oil level seems adequate at the window; I was going to change out the oil and filter when I have put about 1k miles on the bike.  (Side note: the leaked oil smelled fine - not burnt or anything - which makes me happy.)

Thanks in advance for letting me tap into your collective wealth of knowledge!

* Tomi

2006 S40, 11k, Raptor petcock, first 'cycle. Wish me luck!

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Question oil leak at speedometer cable
Reply #1 - 06/07/15 at 10:26:33

To tell you the truth, mine leaked when I purchased the bike, found out the seal was missing so I made one out of some heavy rubber I had laying around.
Before my trip to texas and back (from florida) I changed my home made one out for an OEM one.
Now it leaks again! No matter how snug I make it, it comes loose and leaks (at 65 or higher speed), and I threw away my home made one.
Back to the drawing board for me.
Some folks have had good luck with an "O" ring, search speedometer leak or cable leak, you should find a few posts.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Tomi
YaBB Newbies

Pas de voictoire
sans la guerre

Fairview Park, Ohio
Reply #2 - 06/07/15 at 11:40:50

I don't have the problem of the missing seal; the connection was just loose. I'm just wondering whether I should be looking for any problems caused by the leak or any other checks or adjustments I should be making.

2006 S40, 11k, Raptor petcock, first 'cycle. Wish me luck!

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/07/15 at 11:55:58

I agree, the design just screams Finger tight.

I cheated, chanel locks, small ones, just a touch tighter, not Lug Nut tight, just more than my hands will do.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:30:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question re: oil leak at speedometer cable

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.