Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
is there a way to mount solo seat without welding (Read 274 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
is there a way to mount solo seat without welding
06/04/15 at 13:39:14

My bike has the one-piece seat and I'm looking to put on a solo seat.  For now, I want to leave the stock rear fender cuz my bags are mounted to it.  I'll tuck the electrics somewhere out of sight; maybe up under the solo seat.

I found some bolt-on seat spring mounts but not sure how I would fab something up for those or if they might be able to go on the frame horns.

Anybody have experience with a solo seat but leaving the stock rear fender?  How did you support the rear springs?  La Rosa makes some nice solo seat conversion mount kits but they're for Harleys.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: is there a way to mount solo seat without weld
Reply #1 - 06/04/15 at 13:52:07

Of course if there's a will... there's a way.

I've met will... is way Chinese?  If so, I bought a pivot mount from him.

There's a clamp on solo pivot mount that's mates right up with the tank mount, so that takes care of the front.

For the back, the springs are usually mounted to the seat wider than the frame so you need to make a decision.  Mount it to the seat as provided and make a bracket for the frame.  Or vice versa.

The frame horns with regular springs will lift the rear of the seat a lot.
I had to shift the tank back an inch so the mounts for the seat are pretty close to the upper fender mounts.  I cut one in half and mounted the ends to the frame.  I may add a strap across the mounting of the seat to attach the springs to the seat.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 06/04/15 at 15:39:02

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1214704691

My rear mount was just bend/saw/drill.  I made mine, but http://www.lawbrotherscycles.com/Online-VTwin-Parts/index.php?main_page=produ... looks like it would be bolt on, with a little adjusting.

WWW   IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #3 - 06/05/15 at 19:17:25

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1423586396/0#0

If you want comfort an cruiser style,  650 Yamaha seat with mounts from the Suzi.  No welding required. Smiley

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Reply #4 - 06/06/15 at 19:44:29

I rigged one up with metal tabs onto the original mounts on the left and right side of the bike. its not the prettiest, but it does the job. I will paint the bike soon and I will probably use the stock rear. I bought a leather bib type cover of the taillight wires. Cant exactly remember what its called but it wasnt much. Had my bike like this for over a year now. its a biltwell seat, comfy enough for me. Maybe not for you, but it does prove you dont need to weld.

motorbike_2_copy.jpg
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 06/07/15 at 01:17:53

the horns are threaded from the bottom, but you can drill out the tops down about 3/8" and use 8mm bolts from the top. a cross-piece will take care of mounting your springs. easy-peasy.
just take it easy.
worked for me!  Cool

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 06/07/15 at 07:30:18

Thanks for the replies.

zipidachimp - I was actually looking at that and wondering if the holes on the top of the horns would work.  Great idea.

chanman - same thing; it looks like using the existing mounts would be a good place for a bracket.  I just wasn't sure about manufacturing something without welding.  Your bike actually looks great with that seat and the stock fender.  Do you find you have reduced leg room with the seat sitting lower than stock or were you able to mount it further back than stock so you actually gained leg room?

srotag - that looks like the way I would want to go.  I like the look better than the smaller bobber style seats since it fills that area so well.  Very comfy looking and suits the bike.  What model and year Yammy 650 is that from?  It will at least get me looking in the right direction for something that fits.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/07/15 at 10:00:35

I'd bet it's a VStar, Yamaha cruisers has good seats

Srotag you should do a tutorial on that, exactly how it was done

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:57:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › is there a way to mount solo seat without welding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.