Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Preparing Fuel Tank for Storage (Read 129 times)
Igggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Las Vegas, NV
Preparing Fuel Tank for Storage
06/06/15 at 15:31:07

Not too far away from having to cover and store the S40's for the summer here in the desert. My questions is: After completing draining the tank and carb bowl, what, if anything would you put in the tank? Looking at about 4 months of storage.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Preparing Fuel Tank for Storage
Reply #1 - 06/06/15 at 15:34:54

Lemme' guess...
You live in Yuma?... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #2 - 06/06/15 at 15:40:25

personally, i would not leave it dry ... it gets too darn hot here and you could dry out all the o-rings and thats a PITA come riding time ... STA-bil the fuel, shake and run a few minutes ... every couple weeks head out and start it up just to keep things lubed up

*edit to add GREAT link: http://www.bikebandit.com/community/guides/how-to-winterize-your-motorcycle

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 06/06/15 at 15:49:24

I rode today,.. and I'm planning on 80 miles Monday...

Jes, keep wettin' yer' shirt... and drinkin' a lot... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #4 - 06/06/15 at 15:56:34

Serowbot wrote on 06/06/15 at 15:49:24:
I rode today,.. and I'm planning on 80 miles Monday...

Jes, keep wettin' yer' shirt... and drinkin' a lot... Grin...

ya, you're in TUCSON, you can head to the hills  Wink lol

yuma is HELL fire hot in the summer, not that it's much different than tucson, but ther's def a diff ...

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #5 - 06/06/15 at 17:15:49

Rat,

If you want to keep the tank and the carburetor wet use kerosene.

Back in the olden times, in the North East, when we would store a bike over the winter we would fill the tank and carburetor with kerosene to prevent the seals and o-riings from drying out.

In the spring we would drain the tank and carb and use the kerosene in the space heaters that we used to keep our garages warm when we worked on the bikes. I am guessing you have no need for space heaters in Arizona.

I have been told that kerosene is very expensive in some areas, and may be cost prohibitive. In that case I would investigate using diesel fuel for this purpose.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 06/07/15 at 04:20:10

Diesel will eat some rubber compounds that are used in gas fuel systems.  I don't know for sure if the savage has any rubber parts that would be susceptible or not.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/07/15 at 04:41:54

If you have a local airport that will sell you Avgas 100LL....fill up your tank with that.  It won't gum up your carb or do anything weird, and you can just ride it and use the fuel up when you are ready to go again.  It has more octane than you need....but will run just fine for a tankful.  You can add Sta-Bil to it....but most likely there is no reason to for a couple of months of storage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #8 - 06/07/15 at 08:54:31

i'm wondering if octane boost could sub for the AVGas

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #9 - 06/07/15 at 09:47:53

the recommendation for avgas isn't to raise octane, it's because avgas is ethanol free and doesn't go over like regular ethanol gas
Aren't the temps lower at night there? (I know they are in Tucson)
Just do an evening ride once a week, that'll be enough to keep the carb from gumming up
And I agree, I would not leave a tank or carb dry in Yuma, AZ

I ride here in Tx when it's 113f, just use leather to block the wind (when the temp is that high wind 'chill'works in reverse)

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/07/15 at 09:52:01

DesertRat wrote on 06/07/15 at 08:54:31:
i'm wondering if octane boost could sub for the AVGas

Avgas evaporates and does not leave any kind of varnish or gum behind when it goes away.  Some airplanes are stored for extended periods and you can't take a chance of having a cruddy carb - so the fuel is made to help with long term storage.  It also is kind to rubber and other fuel system parts.

IP Logged
Igggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #11 - 06/07/15 at 15:03:18

Thanks. Av gas it is.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 06/08/15 at 04:18:33

Avgas can be somewhat hard to get at large airports.  Find a small airport and you will likely have good luck.  The small "county" airport near here has self serve pumps and a credit card reader....you just take your fuel can and a credit card and buy as much as you want.

And don't worry about using the Avgas...it does not burn hotter, it is not more explosive, and other than the cost there is nothing bad about it.  Your bike will run a little bit richer and will most likely not have as much backfire when you let off the throttle or shut the bike off.  One member on this site uses the Avgas in his bike all the time - however he has a good source for it and there is no reason to do that if you have to buy it.

NOTE:  The Avgas 100LL does have lead in it.....so don't use any of the leftover fuel in your catalytic equipped vehicle.  You will notice your tailpipe will turn light brown/tan while you are using this fuel...that is the lead being deposited in the exhaust system.

ALSO......You know anyplace that you can store the bike that is air conditioned or at least insulated?  Somebody with a bit of room in a basement garage?  Anything you can do to reduce the temperature extremes and fluctuations helps.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 06/08/15 at 08:02:55

I have to ask
How hot is too hot
for riding?

I was in Nevada, the car had no AC, AND when we rolled the windows down, the hot air blasting through the car Hurt, we rolled windows up and baked,
We were on the cement roads, runway, taxiway, at Nellis, I think 76, yea, 76, working on the ILS, since the runway was closed for repairs, after  104 exploded and crashed. So, they used the equipment to hold a training seminar.

Ohh, the Jerry Lewis telethon was going on. I wanna say it was 104,but may have been higher. Of course it is hotter on asphalt and cement, IDK,  is it hotter standing on cement or asphalt?

Anyway,, firefighters, in full firefighting gear, standing, arm straight out, witha boot, in intersections, taking donations.
I was young, twenty, twenty one, but I knew what they were doing was hard.. now im sixty, I Know how hard it was.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #14 - 06/08/15 at 08:17:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/08/15 at 08:02:55:
I have to ask
How hot is too hot
for riding?

my dad came home one day, mid-summer, YUMA, from work on base. no gloves. he had second degree burns on his hands and parts of his exposed face from riding home.

most folks on here park for the winter, we park for the summer unless night riding, and then it's still 110° at 9:00 pm.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:15:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Preparing Fuel Tank for Storage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.