Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
lag after opening up throttle (Read 241 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: lag after opening up throttle
Reply #15 - 06/01/15 at 21:44:57

Matt_greatlakesstate wrote on 06/01/15 at 14:42:30:
I have an 01 savage 26,000 miles jardine slip on. I have a question about the throttle response on my bike. It seems to be mostly in 3rd and 4th gear. Whenever I crack the throttle wide open to pass or catch up if I'm behind the group it seems to lag for about 3 seconds than i feel the power kick in. I can't tell if its revving up than grabbing or if its just lagging to take off. It almost seems like the clutch slips for a second but i cant tell. Other than that the bike shifts and runs great! I just got this bike a couple months ago and i love it. Thanks

Your slide might be sticking.
a dose of seafoam will do the trick.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #16 - 06/02/15 at 01:19:53

If this is a new condition, it could be a clogged main jet or as suggested above a sticky slide. Either way a good cleaning will resolve the issue. If this condition has alway existed, you have a lean main or needle (depending on how wide you are opening the throttle). At what throttle setting 1/2, 3/4, full) do you notice the lag?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Matt_greatlakesstate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Midland, MI
Reply #17 - 06/02/15 at 04:32:03

Only at 3/4- to full throttle

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 06/02/15 at 05:01:49

Actually......you should not get in the habit of "cracking" open the throttle - but rather rolling the throttle on.  When you instantly open the throttle the vacuum in the venturi drops drastically, and the ability of the carb to pull fuel through the jets is compromised.  The CV (Constant Velocity) carb is supposed to help keep the engine running well when this condition occurs by sensing the drop in the vacuum and it drops the slide/needle to keep the air flow high enough to sustain the vacuum.  So....when you crack open the throttle the slide drops, and gradually raises as the engine responds and builds up adequate air flow to allow the slide to rise up to the full throttle position.  Should this take 3 seconds.....probably not in an engine that is jetted properly - but there is some lag in the CV carb when you make an abrupt change in the throttle position.

In a non-CV carb the drop in vacuum sometimes can result in so low of a vacuum that the fuel flow stops - and the engine just coughs and stops running until you let up on the throttle a bit.  This is especially true on modern engines that are jetted really lean to comply with the emission requirements.  The CV carb design is used to help make a smoother running engine, and correct for an over-aggressive application of throttle (just like ABS brakes correct for too much braking or Traction Control correct for too much power).  However the CV carb is mechanical and not digital electronics....so there is a bit of a lag to be expected.  (Proper jJetting could however help to shorten the lag).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #19 - 06/02/15 at 15:10:33

Matt_greatlakesstate wrote on 06/02/15 at 04:32:03:
Only at 3/4- to full throttle

Go up one size on your main jet. While you're at it, clean the carb.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Matt_greatlakesstate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Midland, MI
Reply #20 - 06/02/15 at 17:03:19

Thanks for all the advice Wink

IP Logged
HellOnWheels
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Florida
Reply #21 - 10/11/15 at 14:42:02

Im trying the seafoam method on my '87 savage right now. Bike rode fine last night but when i parked, i left the raptor petcock on  Huh and 3/4 of the gas leaked out. Put new gas in, rode home perfectly, and parked in my garage overnight (with the petcock off). Took for a ride today and throttle response was horrible.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 10/11/15 at 14:56:34

Kinda depends on the gear/rpm you're at when you nail it. If you're just rolling along and at the lowest speed you can be at IN That Gear, You might wanna drop a gear and pin its ears back. .but the Seafoam treatment for a coupla tanks won't hurt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 10/11/15 at 15:11:32

Hell, I hope checked your oil level.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #24 - 10/12/15 at 04:58:17

I'm with Versy.  I hope the oil was checked.  Could be an engine with a gallon or so of gas in the oil and very little lubrication.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
HellOnWheels
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Florida
Reply #25 - 10/12/15 at 15:55:35

So I put a splash of seafoam into about a 1/4 tank of gas last night. Today after work I went for a ride and the the throttle was still not very responsive, until the seafoam worked its way through the carb. Now its more responsive than ever

IP Logged
HellOnWheels
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Florida
Reply #26 - 10/12/15 at 16:00:52

Oil level was and is good. Just changed over the weekend

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 10/12/15 at 16:10:10

You haven't addressed the point I made about the speed and gear when you want to accelerate. It's not gonna Hop when the gas gets poured on If you are at the low end of the speed you can be in in third. If you're rolling along in third, just going fast enough to not be lugging it and decide to accelerate and you want it to get up and go Right Now, it's not gonna do it. Once the RPM come up, Then it will start accelerating hard. Try dropping a gear if I'm describing the way things are going.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 01:16:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › lag after opening up throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.