Tropical Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lauro de Freitas-Bahia-Brazil
SPOKE SET
10/11/15 at 06:51:39

Hi everybody,

After 15 years riding close to the beach and almost 215.000 km I need to replace the front wheel spokes that are awfully rusted. As usual the set is too pricey at my Suzuki dealer. I'd like to know if it's possible to use spokes from another brand/model.

Rgds

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: SPOKE SET
Reply #1 - 10/11/15 at 07:14:03

I don't know about any other models having spokes that are interchangeable.  Ebay has some sellers that provide spoke sets that are aftermarket and come from Asian sources - not sure of the quality of if they make a set for the Savage.

I buy stainless spokes sets from Buchanan's Spoke and Wheel in California.  They are about $ 110 a set....I am not sure how they would get a set to you in Brazil, or what it would cost.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/11/15 at 15:50:14

Have you considered hunting junkyard for a wheel? Unless you're experienced with lacing and truing wheels, you're heading into at least frustration, possibly worse. The Marketplace might be a resource. If you're really gonna do it, and it's rusty, start with the penetrating oil a few days before you start the job. And if the nipples are ugly, and threads are rusty, buy new ones and just cut the old spokes .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tropical Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/12/15 at 05:37:38

Thanks for the replies guys.

Importing is out of the question because I'd have to pay 60% over the C&F price.
As for junkyard hunting I'd probably find gold before I find a wheel. The bike has not been sold anymore in Brazil since 2004 and sales have never been a hit.
As we have several local industries that produce good quality inox spokes I'd preffer to buy new ones. I contacted several of them but none was able to say for sure if their products can fit the Savage.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 10/12/15 at 09:18:58

What a fine deal. We can't export to Brazil because of, what?
Why do you have to pay SIXTY percent over, what was that? C AND F price? Cost and freight? Then Who gets the sixty percent and what trade deal created that?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/12/15 at 12:32:32

Is it 60% tariff on parts from anywhere....or just the US?

Does this count if the parts are sent as a gift?

How about Jewelry?  (I could string up a necklace made from spoke nipples!)

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 10/12/15 at 16:00:22

What IF you got a package, not from a company, but an individual?
You could save a ton. You can find the spokes, get the price, someone else can order them, then repackage and ship to you, for a donation to their favorite charity. Your check goes to a private party, and the package to you is relatively small and from an individual,requiring some patience And a good bit of trust on everyone's part. Now, if any of that is illegal and would get anyone involved in trouble, then, giggle at the idea and forget about it. But, if you want to consider it, you Might just find someone here who is relatively close to a spoke supplier who would help you out.

IP Logged
Tropical Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/12/15 at 17:12:52

60% is the tax rate for any product over US$50 received by mail from an individual from anywhere. The customs are usually not sticklers and allow parcels sent by companies but the 60% tariff stays over the product value + freight. If the products come without a commercial invoice, the customs arbitrate a value based on similar products or require a proof of the price.
Welcome to the Third World :'(

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 10/12/15 at 18:03:33

Well, maybe it takes more than one shipment?
Find out what the spokes cost.

IP Logged
Tropical Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/14/15 at 04:57:16

I'm Lucky I found a manufacturer that's going to custom make the spokes.
Thank you all for the help.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 19:21:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › SPOKE SET

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.