Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Arizona cartoons...
Reply #60 - 06/01/15 at 11:36:56

HovisPresley wrote on 06/01/15 at 09:07:07:
Quote ArtWebb
"But how many counrties with very restrictive gun laws have murder rates far higher than the US, and those murder rates in the US get a lot smaller when you look at places with more relaxed gun laws (chicago murder rate far higher than Texas, etc)"

How about naming these countries? On a 'like-for-like' basis.
Say Canada, for example...

Comparing a city to a state is not a valid comparison to me.

I might add that I own 2 (legally held) revolvers, and can provide a list of fire-arms that I've fired on a shooting-range to anyone that's interested.

NB. The only country I can think of that it is compulsory to have a fire-arm in the house is Switzerland. Switzerland!

Good point
Chicago is in Illinois, 5.5 per capita
Texas 4.3

here's countries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
America is 99th on the list, but it's not compiled worst to best, we'd be 111th or 112th by number

Kenesaw Kentucky isn't a state, but they have compulsory gun ownership, unless that's changed since 2002 or so
The law was emplaced after a rash of home invasions, and after it was passed, the violent crime rate, in general, including, of course, home invasion, went down
(i probably misspelled Kenesaw

I had a Taurus Model 85 CH (.38) solidly reliable, but a 'lawyer trigger' for sure

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #61 - 06/01/15 at 12:42:01

The US is 13th on the list for fire-arm related death rate.

What's a 'lawyer trigger' ?

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #62 - 06/01/15 at 13:00:01

HovisPresley wrote on 06/01/15 at 12:42:01:
The US is 13th on the list for fire-arm related death rate.

What's a 'lawyer trigger' ?

A yet to be invented device that automatically fires a weapon any time it's aimed at a lawyer. I can see how it could be very popular.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #63 - 06/01/15 at 13:14:41

Quote:
A yet to be invented device that automatically fires a weapon any time it's aimed at a lawyer. I can see how it could be very popular.

Grin Grin Grin

A " lawyer trigger" is firearms slang for a trigger that is hard enough to pull that it makes an unintentional discharge( and the resulting lawsuits)less likely. The double action trigger pull of a lot of double action revolvers, for example. Quite s few police agencys specify that the  triggers on the handguns issued by them have heavier than normal pull weights. At one time the Glocks supplied to the NYPD were specially equipped with what was then known as the" New York Trigger". I don't know if that's still the case. Such a trigger unfortunately also make the gun more difficult to shoot accurately, which has the potential for causing another set of problems.

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #64 - 06/01/15 at 13:56:53

Ah, I see, thanks.

@ Justin  Grin nice idea.

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #65 - 06/02/15 at 06:11:13

http://www.wnd.com/2007/04/41196/

I've posted this before.

25 years murder-free in 'Gun Town USA'
Crime rate plummeted after law
required firearms for residents

As the nation debates whether more guns or fewer can prevent tragedies like the Virginia Tech Massacre, a notable anniversary passed last month in a Georgia town that witnessed a dramatic plunge in crime and violence after mandating residents to own firearms.

In March 1982, 25 years ago, the small town of Kennesaw – responding to a handgun ban in Morton Grove, Ill. – unanimously passed an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun. Since then, despite dire predictions of “Wild West” showdowns and increased violence and accidents, not a single resident has been involved in a fatal shooting – as a victim, attacker or defender.

The crime rate initially plummeted for several years after the passage of the ordinance, with the 2005 per capita crime rate actually significantly lower than it was in 1981, the year before passage of the law.

Prior to enactment of the law, Kennesaw had a population of just 5,242 but a crime rate significantly higher (4,332 per 100,000) than the national average (3,899 per 100,000). The latest statistics available – for the year 2005 – show the rate at 2,027 per 100,000. Meanwhile, the population has skyrocketed to 28,189.

By comparison, the population of Morton Grove, the first city in Illinois to adopt a gun ban for anyone other than police officers, has actually dropped slightly and stands at 22,202, according to 2005 statistics. More significantly, perhaps, the city’s crime rate increased by 15.7 percent immediately after the gun ban, even though the overall crime rate in Cook County rose only 3 percent. Today, by comparison, the township’s crime rate stands at 2,268 per 100,000.

This was not what some predicted.

In a column titled “Gun Town USA,” Art Buchwald suggested Kennesaw would soon become a place where routine disagreements between neighbors would be settled in shootouts. The Washington Post mocked Kennesaw as “the brave little city … soon to be pistol-packing capital of the world.” Phil Donahue invited the mayor on his show.

Reuters, the European news service, today revisited the Kennesaw controversy following the Virginia Tech Massacre.

Police Lt. Craig Graydon said: “When the Kennesaw law was passed in 1982 there was a substantial drop in crime … and we have maintained a really low crime rate since then. We are sure it is one of the lowest (crime) towns in the metro area.” Kennesaw is just north of Atlanta.

The Reuters story went on to report: “Since the Virginia Tech shootings, some conservative U.S. talk show hosts have rejected attempts to link the massacre to the availability of guns, arguing that had students been allowed to carry weapons on campus someone might have been able to shoot the killer.”

Virginia Tech, like many of the nation’s schools and college campuses, is a so-called “gun-free zone,” which Second Amendment supporters say invites gun violence – especially from disturbed individuals seeking to kill as many victims as possible.

Cho Seung-Hui murdered 32 and wounded another 15 before turning his gun on himself.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #66 - 06/02/15 at 07:03:25

Doesn't matter how many instances you demonstrate proof that more guns doesn't translate to more crime,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #67 - 06/02/15 at 07:50:12

Here's a little clip.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/pELwCqz2JfE?feature=player_detailpage

Unlike the Moore clip, that, HovisPresley posted.
(Full of out and out lies)

This clip, Actually, has those little thing called, 'FACTS' in it.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #68 - 06/02/15 at 07:57:58

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/02/15 at 07:03:25:
Doesn't matter how many instances you demonstrate proof that more guns doesn't translate to more crime,,  

Many times that is true.  
Because a a gun hating person, who is bent on taking away Freedom,
by 'INSISTING", you do it , 'his/her', way.

Very Frequently, Totally IGNORES, the FACTS.
And, Makes up LIES.

Yep, another old adage:
"Never mind the FACTS, my mind is made up".

But, if just one !

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #69 - 06/02/15 at 07:59:47

That clip compares gun ownership with homocides.

Not once does he give figures concerning homocides involving guns.

Fail  Grin

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #70 - 06/02/15 at 08:08:37

The US comes near the top of the table in gun-related deaths.

The youtube clip doesn't mention this.

A little thing called "FACTS" ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

And that just lists deaths, it doesn't list shootings where the gunned-down victim pulled through

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #71 - 06/02/15 at 08:16:17

For the last year I could fine, there were 8855 gun related homicides in the US. There is an estimated 310 million firearms in the US.

Using the same logic as you used when I was discussing the possible percentage of violent Muslims compared to the overall population, you really shouldn't care at all about gun related murders since they are "statistically insignificant."

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #72 - 06/02/15 at 08:21:30

So blowing someone's knee-cap off with a shotgun, for example, doesn't come into it?

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #73 - 06/02/15 at 08:25:37

HovisPresley wrote on 06/02/15 at 07:59:47:
... Fail ...  Grin

Apparently, you are looking at something, completely different.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #74 - 06/02/15 at 08:35:26

HovisPresley wrote on 06/02/15 at 08:21:30:
So blowing someone's knee-cap off with a shotgun, for example, doesn't come into it?

Sure it would. However, total gun crimes in the US is a harder figure to come up with. But lets say that number is 100 times higher than homicides, that percentage is still, to use your logic, statistically insignificant. Also, to be fair, to get a fair number of gun related crimes, I would also have to deduct the number of crimes NOT committed because the victim had a gun and defender themselves. Just this week in my state an old man shot two guys breaking into his house who themselves were armed. It's anyone's guess what would have happened to him if he had not been armed.

Also to be fair, the number of crimes not committed BECAUSE of guns is a political hot potato. I just read the number in 2014 was estimated at 300,000 which sounds ridiculously high to me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/07/24 at 22:53:46

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Arizona cartoons...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.