Send Topic Print
is this true? (Read 132 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
is this true?
06/03/15 at 09:55:04

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/20985-self-defense-in-the-uk-...

I'm gonna need to hear from you guys who are or have been there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: is this true?
Reply #1 - 06/03/15 at 10:30:42

Probably is,...  I think it sounds more restrictive than it is...

A cricket bat, tire iron, kitchen knife, sharp pointy stick,.. are not "defensive" weapons... but, they are legal and can be used for defense...

Here, in America, you can't own brass knuckles, but you can wear heavy rings... can't own a switchblade knife but you can own a flick-knife... you can legally own a shotgun, but you can't saw off the barrel to less than 18"... etc...

Here's another quote from the same English website regarding defending yourself from an intruder... rules are very much the same as ours...
Quote:
In the heat of the moment it is not expected that you should make fine judgements as to how far you can go. What you honestly and instinctively believe is lawful and necessary self defense of either yourself, your family or your property, even if you use a weapon could constitute reasonable force.

You do not have to be attacked first to be able to use reasonable force in self defense.

Even if the intruder dies, provided you have used reasonable force in the circumstances described then you will not necessarily be prosecuted. If, having disabled the intruder you then go on and inflict further punishment then this would be deemed to be excessive and gratuitous force and you could be prosecuted.

I have a camera monopod, with a heavy weight attached to the end,.. that I keep by my front door...  I bring it along when I hear a suspicious noise outside...
...(don't want anyone messin' with my bikes, ya'know?)...  Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/03/15 at 11:21:09

On another forum (one dealing with martial arts and self defense) I was told by an Aussie that putting a baseball bat by the front door would be illegal, as that was 'intending to use it as a weapon'
There was a whole thread dealing with this, what you could or couldn't have or carry for self defense
It was a tiny list, and most 'legal' items were determined as to legality according to 'intended use'
for example, you could carry a flashlight if checking out darkened areas at night (not while looking for intruders, but, say, looking for keys you dropped) but having such a light for regular carry, would be considered carry for use as a weapon (especially mag light style flashlights)
If he was telling the truth, your mono-pod could be illegal, there

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #3 - 06/03/15 at 15:11:28

Quote:
You do not have to be attacked first to be able to use reasonable force in self defense.

Even if the intruder dies, provided you have used reasonable force in the circumstances described then you will not necessarily be prosecuted. If, having disabled the intruder you then go on and inflict further punishment then this would be deemed to be excessive and gratuitous force and you could be prosecuted.

If you turn someone's head into a canoe you will have to justify your actions.  Which is to say if their is not an enormous amount of circumstantial evidence to support your claim, you will have to go to court to prove your innocence.  It will be your word vs: some one else's.   

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/04/15 at 06:06:41

Serowbot wrote on 06/03/15 at 10:30:42:
...(don't want anyone messin' with my bikes, ya'know?)...  Wink...

Or crates.  Grin

--Steve

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #5 - 06/04/15 at 06:13:57

Is this true?
Yep, pretty much.

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #6 - 06/04/15 at 08:44:35

"Self Defense" is defined on a case by case basis by the local Judiciary (read political influence).    At least that has been my observation over the years....

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/04/15 at 09:21:43

HovisPresley wrote on 06/04/15 at 06:13:57:
Is this true?
Yep, pretty much.

This comes from someone who knows.
Anyone else who has experience over there?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #8 - 06/04/15 at 15:00:17

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #9 - 06/04/15 at 15:37:41

It said he killed a "traveller" that was in the act of robbing him.  Is this Hollywood's rendition of a "traveller?

https://youtu.be/ySyBMTo-1sc

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 06/05/15 at 12:27:35

HovisPresley wrote on 06/04/15 at 15:00:17:

And you thought we were messed up.

Quote:
He was sentenced to life imprisonment, with a recommended minimum term to serve of 9 years, reduced to 8 years by the Lord Chief Justice.

For killing Quote:
Fred Barras, the dead youth, had accumulated a lengthy criminal record, having been arrested 29 times by the time of his death at the age of 16, and had been sentenced to two months in a young offenders' institution for assaulting a policeman, theft and being drunk and disorderly. On the night he was killed, the teenager had just been released on bail after being accused of stealing garden furniture. Barras' grandmother, Mary Dolan, stated: "It's not fair that the farmer has got all the money and he is the one that took Fred away.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 06/05/15 at 14:28:02

Rather than congratulate the old man they punished him.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 06/07/15 at 11:08:45

Fred's grandma sounds like thug grandma's here in the states.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #13 - 06/07/15 at 21:53:48

thug grannies are thug grannies everywhere, same with thug mamas
"It ain't right my boy is (your choice, locked up, dead, on the run, in the hospital) he's a good boy"
Never mind he assaulted the guy that put him there
While trying to rob him
While drunk (and underage)
and on drugs

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 06/11/15 at 17:25:23

We had some trouble with some bad teens hanging around in our condo complex a few years ago. A police consultant told us to carry a big metal flashlight, like a six battery Mag light, and to always have it turned on. If it was turned on legally it was a flashlight- if not the courts would consider it a weapon. We finally hired off duty police to patrol two nights a week (at $50 an hour each) and the bad kids moved on.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/02/24 at 20:55:21

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › is this true?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.