Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Arizona cartoons...
Reply #105 - 06/04/15 at 11:24:42

The founders were guaranteeing the right to have a single shot muzzle-loader, and a sword...

They might have wanted some refinements in that amendment if they had known what was coming...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #106 - 06/04/15 at 12:26:27

HovisPresley wrote on 06/04/15 at 08:06:53:
So the US being the 13th in the world for gun-related deaths doesn't tell you something?

Hovis *gun owner* Presley
(*provider of numbers*)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

It tells me that you couldn't back "guns cause crime, and getting rid of them will reduce crime" so you went back to "only shootings matter"
lowering three likelihood of being shot doesn't matter if the likelihood of being stabbed, beaten or brained with a rock goes up
and in America, restricting gun ownership doesn't lower gun crime, either

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #107 - 06/04/15 at 12:32:02

Serowbot wrote on 06/04/15 at 11:24:42:
The founders were guaranteeing the right to have a single shot muzzle-loader, and a sword...

They might have wanted some refinements in that amendment if they had known what was coming...
Huh...

No, I don't think so. In fact, had they known or imagined the advancement of firearms, they might have insisted citizens have equal access. Remember their intent: citizens need a method to protect themselves from a tyrannical government. With this sort of reasoning, why would they have ensured citizens would always be 5 or  6 steps behind government weapons?

They probably did not imagine future US citizens would so willingly cede control over so much of their freedom.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #108 - 06/04/15 at 12:35:40

Art Webb wrote on 06/04/15 at 12:26:27:
So the US being the 13th in the world for gun-related deaths doesn't tell you something?

(*provider of numbers*)

It tells me that you couldn't back "guns cause crime, and getting rid of them will reduce crime" so you went back to "only shootings matter"
lowering three likelihood of being shot doesn't matter if the likelihood of being stabbed, beaten or brained with a rock goes up

Where would the US rank if we backed out gun crimes related to inner city gang violence which is somewhat unique in America compared to other nations who do not have the race component we have here in the US. Take Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans, my town of St. Louis, Baltimore...remove them from the figures and see where we sit then.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #109 - 06/04/15 at 12:36:03

Huh...

Nope
The reason for the Second amendment, at it's base, is the prevention of tyranny
The founders had just fought a long bloody war to throw off a government they saw as tyrannical, and didn't want the citizens of the new republic to be subject to tyranny from the newly created government down the line, because they recognized that power corrupts, and any government will always seek to increase it's own power
The purpose of the 2nd is to give the Citizen the ability to combat that possibility, up to and including the throwing down of our own government
We'd look pretty silly going against an average infantryman with a musket and a sword
We'd look pretty silly doing it with a Pistol. too, but not near as silly as with a musket and a sword
The 2nd, as all the original 10 amendments, is about Libety

And the founders weren't guaranteeing squat, they were recognizing a right they considered god given, or, to non believers, basic human rights

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #110 - 06/04/15 at 14:11:52

[quote author=053730212637201F332039520 link=1432916418/105#108 date=1433446540]Art Webb wrote on 06/04/15 at 12:26:27:

(*provider of numbers*)

(WM) (bold italics mine)
Where did I say that?

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #111 - 06/04/15 at 20:31:44

You're right, you didn't
Color me embarrassed
I believe I must apologize

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #112 - 06/05/15 at 03:58:40

No problem, Art, my friend.

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #113 - 06/05/15 at 13:14:38

Huh...

'tis arguable.
"God created all men, but Sam Colt made them equal"
Our founding fathers intended that everyone may own a firearm.
If you say now, only the government can have multi fire weapons, I think you've just made the government superior to the citizen, never mind the outlaw.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #114 - 06/05/15 at 14:23:45

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

I didn't know that ever y touch added another, but, it was worth more than one,for sure.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #115 - 06/09/15 at 03:35:18

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #116 - 06/09/15 at 04:55:26

verslagen1 wrote on 06/05/15 at 13:14:38:
...I think you've just made the government superior to the citizen, never mind the outlaw.

They are, and always have been...

They have grenades, rocket launchers, tanks, F-18's, missiles, drones, battleships, cannons, and nukes...
You can't prevent "tyranny" with a pea-shooter...
You can die...  Waco?... Ruby Ridge?...  You don't win...

What you can do,... is hurt a lot of innocent people with a pea-shooter...
...but, defending against government is a joke...  All you'll do is die...

The Amendment was written at a time when America had no plans to ever have a standing Army...  It's citizenry were on call to defend at a moments notice.

I'm not saying we should all give up our guns...
...but, we do have limitations now,.. the question is, do these limits need to be reassessed?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #117 - 06/09/15 at 05:57:01

You are completely wrong on that account. Citizens can and do defend themselves against a warring government or when there is no government against an invading army. I would point to the French resistance in WWII for example, or look how the drug cartels in Mexico survive and thrive despite basically a war waged upon them. You could even point to the South in the Civil War given the huge disparity in weapon superiority the North had.

The difference is the government is not going to carpet bomb cities and bulldozing the remains over. Tucson is not going to be nuked into the desert.  A government takeover would be more like an escalated policing action.  Soldiers would show up house to house, ID cards issued, the ability to purchase goods would be controlled etc… That’s how a government takeover would happen. (you know, pretty much like the liberals want to do now…)

So a citizenry armed with available guns could in fact defend themselves and retain some semblance of our nation.

And your comments about the original meaning of the 2nd Amendment and militia are dead wrong as well. Read what Madison and many of the founders wrote at the time. They knew exactly what they were doing. Remember, they had just defeated the top military power of the world at that time. The price England would have had to pay to win that war would have been too much and certainly would have lead to yet another confrontation with France.

We should play a ‘what if’ game.

Imagine what would happen if Obama said, ‘you know what, I’m staying in office’. Imagine if the Joint Chiefs all agreed and a coup against the US Constitution occurred with the top military leaders joining in. What would happen? How many of the current military would ‘follow orders’?

Granted, it’s probably impossible right now that that would happen but 10 years from now when the government is even further in every aspect of our lives? Are you telling me that’s an impossibility?

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #118 - 06/09/15 at 06:05:02

[quote author=7066716C74616C77030 link=1432916418/105#116 date=1433850926]verslagen1 wrote on 06/05/15 at 13:14:38:
I'm not saying we should all give up our guns...
...but, we do have limitations now,.. the question is, do these limits need to be reassessed?...

Ok. Let's not out law the 2nd Amendment but let's set some guide lines.
I can get on board with citizens not owning nukes or Hellfire missiles, or even, call me a prude, F18's.

The government will remain an overwhelming powerful force because it has superiority.

Now, let's apply this to the first amendment.
Joe the chicken farmer has 5 dollars to flush down the political campaign toilet to influence his local legislature to vote in the direction he wants.
That's his right. That's his free speech as an individual. He can flush away as much as he wants... as much as he can afford.

Large Chicken Conglomerate wants to shut him down and throws $500,000 in the opposite direction. It's their right, because a corporation is an individual and there's no limit on free speech related to campaign dollars.

"The will of the people" doesn't stand a chance. I could tie this back to the TPP but I think I'd lose people if I start getting too tin foil-y.

--Steve

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #119 - 06/09/15 at 06:16:15

Quote:
They are, and always have been...

They have grenades, rocket launchers, tanks, F-18's, missiles, drones, battleships, cannons, and nukes...
You can't prevent "tyranny" with a pea-shooter...
You can die...  Waco?... Ruby Ridge?...  You don't win...  

Wow, I'm in full agreement with Serow on this one.   Huh

What is not in the front page is when they do implement martial law.  You may have caught a glimpse, but they went house to house during Katrina.  They also went house to house in Boston when they were looking for the bombers.  

Pea-shooter is correct, and they'll take that if they want too.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 00:51:11

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Arizona cartoons...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.