Send Topic Print
28 years old... (Read 101 times)
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
28 years old...
05/27/15 at 14:11:32

My bike is 28 years old this year... a 1987 Savage. And she's alive and well! Finally got all her issues figured out/fixed, got her insured, registered, plate on, and inspected. So far, I've put about 150 miles on the old gal and she's running great.

Thank you all for the technical help over this winter... and in case I'm not posting, it's because I'm out riding!  Grin

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: 28 years old...
Reply #1 - 05/27/15 at 19:08:34

Good, enjoy yourself, and the bike.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #2 - 05/28/15 at 06:37:53

Mine is also celebrating its 28th this year.... im planning on it being around for another 28..... Wink

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/28/15 at 07:52:47

I can't remember what you did, the mileage, nothing..
But if you are happy and it's running good, have fun.
I'm sure you saw the cam chain tensioner that spit its guts onto the gear..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #4 - 05/28/15 at 18:17:30

Thanks all, it's been a blast being on this bike... she's a whole lotta fun!

She was a nearly bone-stock 87 when I got her, only mods were a Raptor petcock, a Dyna muffler and a cone filter. She spent most of her life sleeping in a garage... she had a whopping 14,800 miles when I got her.

She'd had a battery leak and the battery box was toast. So, I built a new batt box, fixed some wiring issues, added a headlight cutout relay, relocated the ignition switch to the handle bars, Galfer SS brake line, new brakes front and rear, new mirrors, new clutch perch, pod filter, rebuilt master cylinder... I think that's all the new parts. Oh, just built a tail bag last night so I can carry my lunch to work.

After that, testing and tuning, pulled the brass plug out of the carb adjustment screw tonight and backed it out to 2.5 turns. She runs better already, less popping on decel. Next will be a trip to my uncle to have him hear her run and read the plug, then we'll break into that Lancer jet kit I have and adjust as needed.

I pulled the clutch cover and looked at the cam chain adjuster... I'll need to pull it and send it to Verslagen this fall when I've put her in the garage for the winter.

Ran her for an hour tonight taking a ride with a co-worker. We had a great time, and he wants to have his girlfriend try my Savage... she's 5'-3" tall and has issues with tall or heavy bikes, but the Savage or S40 may be just the ticket for her.

Beyond that, she's become my new daily transportation, and I'm loving it! If you see a guy on an old blue thumper who's got a smile hanging outside his helmet... that might just be me!

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/28/15 at 18:34:36

Thanks for the rundown. Good it's sorted and you're not gonna let it puke the tensioner.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 05/28/15 at 20:07:36

Glad to see ya riding!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:22:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 28 years old...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.