Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb/Petcock/Dyna Muffler Upgrades - Plan/Links? (Read 58 times)
alienbogey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gig Harbor, WA
Carb/Petcock/Dyna Muffler Upgrades - Plan/Links?
05/25/15 at 13:28:10

After reading tons of threads with sometimes conflicting advice I'm hoping for a current-best-thinking summary of how to go about upgrading my wife's S-40.  We have gathered together the parts and are hoping to find a day off together to grit our teeth and tear the bike apart, put in the upgrades and, hopefully, put it together and find that it not only runs, but runs better than before.

The bike:  2008 S-40 with 20,000 miles.  We live and ride at sea level.

The carb:  brass plug on idle mixture screw removed by prior owner.  We did the white spacer removal (two washers in its place) per http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1431489495/6#6

Status:  Still backfires under engine braking and upon shutdown.  Wife pulls the choke out for a few seconds before shutdown as a workaround.

The parts:  Jet kit from Lancer, Raptor petcock, Dyna muffler.

•  Can anyone point to a good link with pictures for carb cleaning, preferably the S40's?

•  Given sea level riding and the new Dyna muffler, what size jets and where would be best?

•  Can anyone point to a good link with pictures for the re-jetting?

•  Given that we already removed the white spacer and replaced it with two washers, and given the cleaned, re-jetted carb and Dyna muffler, should we change the number of washers?

•  There appears to be nothing wrong with the stock petcock, but after reading about problems with it and the Raptor upgrade I ordered one just to try to make everything right in one go.  Any difficulties to install, or is it just remove and replace?

I know I'm kind of asking to be spoon fed all this how-to, but we're not wrenches and it's difficult to pull all of it together from numerous threads, especially when some offer conflicting opinions.

The the most important data points we need are which jets where and how many washers so we hopefully get it right the first time.  Also, a good carb tuning tutorial once everything is back in place would help.  

I say we're not wrenches, but we do have the tools and some basic ability, and with good instructions/Youtube videos we can usually puzzle things out.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Carb/Petcock/Dyna Muffler Upgrades - Plan/Link
Reply #1 - 05/25/15 at 14:25:51

All good choices...
Carb cleaning..
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985
Try a #150/#50 main/ pilot
Changing jets is so simple it don't need a how-to... Once you take the floatbowl off for cleaning the jets are right there... (they are brass, so don't crank them down like they are going to hold yer' wheels on)...(if you've already managed the spacers... you can train yer' cat to swap jets)...
Raptor swap is simple too... two bolts, direct swap, and connect the fuel line... block the vacuum with something fuel resistant.
Here's a video...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1315418285

The one thing you're missing is a modified camchain adjuster
Read up here..
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191167029

The Tech Section has all the standard info, and a table of contents... Wink...
Read up in there,.. then post any questions in here...

Peace, Serow

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/25/15 at 15:13:29

I've been wrenching on stuff for over forty years. I would never, on my best day, even dreamed of doing all that you're considering in a day. A weekend, maybe.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 05/25/15 at 16:05:41

If you're happy with how the bike runs, I wouldn't change the jetting at all. Jetting won't solve the backfiring issue. It may decrease it, but it won't eliminate it. I think my bike is jetted spot on, yet I do get occasional backfiring during chopped throttle operations.

Embrace the backfiring, it's part of the bikes personality.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/25/15 at 17:13:49

Quote:
I know I'm kind of asking to be spoon fed all this how-to, but we're not wrenches and it's difficult to pull all of it together from numerous threads, especially when some offer conflicting opinions.

You'll always get conflicting opinions, nobody starts at the same place.
You'll just have to be prepared to try different options.
This is seat of the pants tuning, you'll need to try this and that and pick what's best.  not happy with that?  find somebody with a dynometer or at least an air/fuel meter.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/25/15 at 17:27:40

My first step would be to inspect the cam chain and see if it's time for the Verslavy. A mortally wounded engine is useless no matter how well tuned the carb is.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 22:35:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb/Petcock/Dyna Muffler Upgrades - Plan/Links?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.