old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: S40 vs 883
Reply #15 - 05/25/15 at 12:44:40

DesertRat wrote on 05/25/15 at 11:34:03:
which one would you folks prefer to ride freeway for extended periods or highway commute?

Well, its all in what you like, how its set up, or what you are willing to put up with.
I'll ride anything long distance.... just to do it.
And since I haven't ridden a sporty (883 version) long distance, I couldn't tell you or even compare it to the savage.
However, riding from Florida to Texas I was "ok" with the savage, and even better on the way home after buying the airhawkII (Thanks Neil).
My brother purchased 2007 883 and didn't make it 75miles on our first ride (I had a 1300VTX at the time) before his hips started hurting really bad. By the time our ride was over (about 250 miles) he could barely walk!
If you have neither and are wanting to know which to get, see if one of these guys that posted are close enough for you to meet and greet Smiley perhaps a ride would be in order Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #16 - 05/25/15 at 22:06:44

I would choose my Sporty over my S40 for an extended freeway ride because it feels
more stable in a crosswind and in wind buffeting from trucks.
However, I'm a relatively inexperienced rider and with more time in the saddle I might be
less bothered by the wind buffeting and more comfortable with the nimble handling of the S40.

In response to old_rider's suggestion above, I'd be pleased to let a Forum Member take my Sporty
for a ride if it would help him or her to make a decision on which scoot to get.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #17 - 05/25/15 at 22:20:44

I've got the 25 tooth pulley on my S-40 and it does the Super-Slab at 75 GPS (Speedometer 63) just fine.  That's about 4500 RPM/@/ 75MPH , The top speed didn't change any , just the "Cruse-ability".   The 883 w/(1200 primary-drive) will cruse at 80 mph easy but MPG at that speed will make you CRY !  Smiley Smiley   on either one of them !  Tongue

At 65 mph they both get about the same mpg.  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 05/26/15 at 07:36:27

Serowbot wrote on 05/25/15 at 11:47:39:
If bigger bikes are good for anything,.. that's the thing...
The Savage would win for everything else,... but not freeway, long distance...

JMHO...

Y E P

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #19 - 05/26/15 at 12:17:41

For me the savage is my preferred long distance bike. But it's not stock. I've built it to be very comfortable with the stretched frame and riding position. Once the sporty is hardtailed I'm sure it will be a coin toss at that point. Suspension wise even though the sporty currently has the stock setup TBH it rides about as rough as the hardtailed/dropped forked Savage. I've had 2 newer sportsters and an older evo and all of them rode pretty rough for stock bikes. The evo was a 91 with a 10 over front, 21" wheel and no front brakes with rabbit ear bars. It had a lot of flop and required decent arm strength to control so it's hard to say it was a "long distance" bike. That being said it definitely seen the most long distance rides of any bike I've see owned.

Gearing wise the savage now is geared for highway so it's more comfortable at super slab speeds. The 09 sporty I have now feels like it's gonna throw the engine from the frame anywhere over 75mph.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 18:29:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › S40 vs 883

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.