Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
new to the forums and the Savage (Read 551 times)
Tomi
YaBB Newbies

Pas de voictoire
sans la guerre

Fairview Park, Ohio
Re: new to the forums and the Savage
Reply #30 - 05/31/15 at 08:07:53

Hey, boys.  I'm a newbie rider and Savage owner.  My 2006 had been stored/not ridden for at least nine months and ran the way you're describing - I actually laughed at the "can't tell the difference between a Civic and a semi" reference, because I had that, too.

Here are my personal observations so far:
    1. Changed the petcock to the Raptor.  IMMEDIATE improvement in performance - so much smoother - I was shocked!  Still does chug a bit when cold, but now the mirrors work properly.  
    2.  After studying the owners' manual and the newbie info on this forum, I realize that I was shifting too early.  It likes higher RPMs and I was just not used to them.  I am getting over my "clutch guilt" (used to a car's dry clutch) and becoming more comfortable riding it - which helps a LOT - as well as with shifting later.
    3.  I added Seafoam.  This happened at the same time as the petcock swap, so I don't know whether this is helping or not.  I've only ridden about 180 miles since starting the additive, but I'm hoping it smoothes out a bit more yet.

Good luck!

* Tomi

2006 S40, 11k, Raptor petcock, first 'cycle. Wish me luck!

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
  IP Logged
Daren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bartlett  NH / Boston MA
Reply #31 - 06/02/15 at 09:40:15

Thanks for all the info.

Yeah I replaced filter and oil. (I used Motorcycle Mobil 1 10W-40 Racing 4T, expensive but all I could find locally). Rotella T 15-40: is it "Shell Rotella T 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel Motor"? I did see it but I was not sure if this is for motorcycles and if its wet clutch safe.... Any additives need to be added to Rotella?  
(On the mobile 1 it said right not the container: motorcycle, wet clutch safe.)

Petcock came in and it is a genuine Yamaha in the box. I'll drop it in this weekend.

Tires; they look good but I think they lost elasticity; became more "chalky". Any good advices on which tires are popular/good. (I'm planning on changing them myself.) Will any tubeless tires work with inner tubes?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 06/02/15 at 09:57:24

Daren wrote on 06/02/15 at 09:40:15:
Rotella T 15-40: is it "Shell Rotella T 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel Motor"?

It doesn't say "Diesel" on the front of the bottles that I buy....however it is useable in diesel engines.  It is a Heavy Duty Engine Oil as stated just above the 15W-40 rating.  It is useable as is and is safe for wet clutches, some of us add a bit of Redline ZDDP just to be anally retentively satisfied.

rot2.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 06/02/15 at 10:42:00

I saw a SAvage with over 90,000 miles on the odometer. Looking at the bike left me believing it was only minimally maintained. If it got zddp added I'd be shocked. I didn't get to hear it run, but it looked like daily transportation to work, since it was in a Wal-Mart lot. The engine, reasonably cared for will last as long as the bike. Stuff does break, but it won't be because it's got Rotella in it.
Rotella runs in the pickup,backhoe,lawnmower and Savage.
I had 20,000 Miles on it, rode the snot outta the thing and it was running great when I sold it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Daren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bartlett  NH / Boston MA
Reply #34 - 06/02/15 at 16:25:02

Dave, thanks for the picture.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #35 - 06/02/15 at 20:06:29

Dave wrote on 06/02/15 at 09:57:24:
Daren wrote on 06/02/15 at 09:40:15:
Rotella T 15-40: is it "Shell Rotella T 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel Motor"?

It doesn't say "Diesel" on the front of the bottles that I buy....however it is useable in diesel engines.  It is a Heavy Duty Engine Oil as stated just above the 15W-40 rating.  It is useable as is and is safe for wet clutches, some of us add a bit of Redline ZDDP just to be anally retentively satisfied.

And Rotella is JASO (japanese motorcycle) rated, it says it on the back of the bottle, but you gotta read pretty close to find it

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #36 - 06/10/15 at 05:02:34

Ok, time for an update.

Earlier in this thread I talked about a vibration that was bad enough to cause my mirrors to be useless. I also mentioned that I had a "noise" when making left hand lean-turns at speed.  believe I have found the answer to both issues.

I bought a new set of Triumph Bonneville handlebars (they were perfect for my desired sitting position) and decided to dive in and put them on yesterday. I found:

-Clutch perch is badly damaged where the cable guide screws into the perch. Badly enough that the screw guide came completely out of the threaded part of the perch while I was taking it apart. I had never noticed it before because it was conveniently covered by a rubber boot. Clutch perch will need to be replaced.
-Left side handlebar riser mounting hardware is damaged. The riser itself is fine, but the large washer that sits under it (on top of the rubber anti-vibration grommet) is bent and needs replacing. The M10 bolt that holds that riser on is also bent.

It became clear that the bike had indeed been drooped. The seller had told me that the bent left foot peg had happened when her father bumped the bike with his tractor while it was being stored. The road rash on the clutch perch and the bent handlebar hardware tell a different story.
I went over the left side of the bike with a fine toothed comb. The lower drivebelt guard had a "scuff" at the extreme lower rear corner. I got the bike up in the air and saw the belt was only 1/16" away from the guard. Using a rubber mallet and a wood block, I bent the guard away from the belt. "Noise when turning left" solved.

So, I was pretty bummed but at the same time, grateful that I now had an explanation for the issues I had been having with the bike. I went ahead and replaced the stock grips with Kuryakyn ISO grips. Today I will install the Sportster seat I got off Ebay last week, and the light bar/driving lights I bought off Amazon. The new clutch perch, new matching chromed clutch/brake handles and the new clutch cable should be here by Friday, so I will have the weekend to install them. Should look great with the new ISO grips.

Bad news: my "like new" Savage with only 4,000 miles on it had been dropped.

Good news: I am MUCH more attuned to the small things to look for. I got my hands dirty and got rid of the fear of taking this "new" bike apart. The bike really is very easy to work on with the proper tools.

If anyone has a stock set of risers with all the hardware, I'd be interested in purchasing them. Otherwise, I will get the OEM parts from Cheap Cycle Parts.

I'll keep updating this thread if that is OK with the moderators. Perhaps it will serve as a "newbie" diary of sorts and help other newcomers.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 06/10/15 at 05:55:36

I probably have the parts you need - but I am leaving town for the Dragon trip for a few days...I will be back on Monday.  I have the risers from a 2001 bike, along with the clutch lever/perch.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #38 - 06/10/15 at 07:09:51

Stu, what Sportster seat did you go with?  is it from an 883 and what year?  Just wondering how easy they mount to our bikes.  

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
mibeaulieu
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 06/10/15 at 08:01:41

I bet most of these used savages/S40 have been dropped.  Probably the reason they've been sitting in barns so long.  The ol' drop and done... I just picked up a '98 with about 3k miles.  Tins look good but I'm sure it's been let down at a stop sign or two.

IP Logged
mibeaulieu
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 06/10/15 at 08:04:35

as I said above -- I also had to put in a new raptor petcock.  Crank case was loaded with gas and I'm lucky I didn't get badly burned with the amount of fuel pouring out.  A new petcock and a couple oil changes and it was back on the road.

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #41 - 06/10/15 at 12:26:38

Toscik, I'm more or less working off this thread http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1161011205

The seat is from an 05 883 I believe. Got it cheap, and it is in perfect condition.

mibeaulieu, I was specifically told this bike hadnt been dropped, hence my surprise at the evidence. Probably best...as now I have no excuses not to expiriment Grin

EDIT: seat used is Harley P/N RDW-92/61-0067 as mentioned in the thread.

« Last Edit: 06/10/15 at 14:45:40 by Boogie_with_Stu »  

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #42 - 06/10/15 at 14:49:19

mibeaulieu wrote on 06/10/15 at 08:04:35:
as I said above -- I also had to put in a new raptor petcock.  Crank case was loaded with gas and I'm lucky I didn't get badly burned with the amount of fuel pouring out.  A new petcock and a couple oil changes and it was back on the road.

I have the same issue. Couldnt figure out how the oil level in the window was ABOVE the circle. I was also having "rough running/bogging issues so I ordered the Yamaha Raptor (OEM) petcock. Hope to have the bike back together over this coming weekend.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #43 - 06/10/15 at 17:58:20

Welcome newbies, and since I didn't notice it mentioned, after you get your Savages going alright think about getting a forkbrace  for the front.
World of difference. Wink

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #44 - 06/15/15 at 20:38:13

Trippah wrote on 06/10/15 at 17:58:20:
Welcome newbies, and since I didn't notice it mentioned, after you get your Savages going alright think about getting a forkbrace  for the front.
World of difference. Wink

Trippah...you KNOW better than to make a post like that and not include a link Grin
It saves us from the "what is a fork brace and where do I get one?" posts lol

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:24:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new to the forums and the Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.