Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
new to the forums and the Savage (Read 551 times)
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Re: new to the forums and the Savage
Reply #15 - 05/28/15 at 03:02:35

Tires look fine...not cracks, flat spots and pressure is as per the manual. I cant speak to whether they are balanced or not.
If it is engine vibration...shouldnt it go away if I coast with no power? Havent tried that and it poured all day here today. Maybe get her up to 40 mph or so and let off the throttle, pull in the clutch and see if it gets better?

Any suggestions on tires if I have to go that route?

I'm no expert of course, but it feels like a motor issue to me. The only other bike I have owned was a 2 cycle multi-cylinder and it ran like a sewing machine. Quiet and smooth. This engine just sounds rough to me, but that could be my lack of experience with thumper motors. At any rate, I did notice it got worse as I accelerated when I rode it last.

I'l check for loose bots/hardware and go over the tires closely when the weather breaks.

Thanks again guys.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #16 - 05/28/15 at 04:04:59

Which set of pegs are you using, the "forward ones" or the standard ones? Are the forward ones tight?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #17 - 05/28/15 at 09:13:13

jcstokes wrote on 05/28/15 at 04:04:59:
Which set of pegs are you using, the "forward ones" or the standard ones? Are the forward ones tight?

Hmmm....I dont see what the front pegs have to do with my mirrors vibrating. Controls are stock at the moment though I plan to get a 4" extension kit soon. The left front peg is bent backward due to a low speed (about 2mph) collision with a John Deere while the bike was parked. The pegs on both sides move of course. I am assuming that this is to help prevent the pegs from snapping off/digging in in the case of a very low peg-dragger turn. They move upward, spring loaded, about 1" of travel.

Looked at the tires this morning and they are the original IRC's. I put the bike up on blocks and carefully inspected the tires for cracks, flat spots, hard spots, bulges or any sign of dry rot. The tires look brand new. 4mm worth of tread depth and still have the little nibs from the tire mold. I also called the woman who sold me the bike and she said she never had any vibration issues, and that the bike was driven at least a couple of miles every season....so it's not like it was sitting under a tarp for close to 2 years in the same exact position.

That being said, the tires ARE old and need to be replaced. I just dont see them as being the culprit here based on the information I have.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 05/28/15 at 09:18:05

verslagen1 wrote on 05/27/15 at 15:26:09:
Boogie_with_Stu wrote on 05/27/15 at 14:57:45:
Got to ride the bike yesterday for really the first time. It definitely needs some carb work/cleaning/adjustment. Vibrates badly enough that I cant tell the difference between a honda civic and a semi in broad daylight. Forget about at night...everything is just a wobble-show of unidentifiable light.

Check the engine mounting bolts, there's a set under the tank and a few along the bottom of the frame.  If these are loose (read extremely tight) you'll feel vibes in the footpegs and grip/mirrors.

WWW   IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #19 - 05/28/15 at 17:05:06

[/quote]
Check the engine mounting bolts, there's a set under the tank and a few along the bottom of the frame.  If these are loose (read extremely tight) you'll feel vibes in the footpegs and grip/mirrors. [/quote]
[/quote]

Took the bike in for state inspection today at my local Pep Boys. The guy who did the inspection is also a rider (ninja style crotch-rocket) and I asked him to take the bike around the block and give his opinion. He said it seemed to be running "rough". I had assumed that the bike sounded like that due to it being a single cylinder/4 stroke. We checked all of the engine mounting hardware...all were VERY tight.

The sound of the engine is like a milder version of what the bike sounds like when you are going too slow in 5th gear and try to throttle up. It doesnt bang, or kick, or backfire or anything...it just sounds...I dunno, like it is working too hard. Also noticed today that I get slight variations in RPM's when cruising in high gear....without me moving the throttle. It isnt much......actually hard to notice but it's there. Like it isnt getting a steady flow of fuel or air (checked the filter...its fine).

Anyway, it passed inspection so it's all legal now. Got my drivers learning license and have signed up for a MSC at our local community college. I also took the advice offered here and took the drivers LH peg off, pulled the rubber off and beat it back into a reasonably straight shape...put it back on. Feels MUCH better when shifting.

Thanks for being patient with me guys. I feel like such a nooblet with this bike...it's a completely different animal than the Kawasaki I rode 24 yrs ago.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 05/29/15 at 04:39:46

I wonder if maybe your stock petcock is going bad, and allowing some fuel to flow into the vacuum line and cause the bike to run too rich...and run rough.

Try this....Remove the vacuum line at the right front side of the carb and cap the nipple and block the hose with a golf tee (if you see any traces of fuel in this hose.....that is a sure sign of a problem).  Then set the petcock to "PRIME" and go for a ride and see if the bike runs any better.

Sorry if I missed it...but where do you live?  Having another forum member ride your bike might help you to know if the thing is normal....or needs help.

NOTE TO ALL NEW MEMBERS......You can go to the "My Center" icon at the top of the page and adjust your settings so your town/city/state shows up in your Avatar......that is nice to know and sometimes gets you hooked up with local experienced help.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Daren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bartlett  NH / Boston MA
Reply #21 - 05/29/15 at 13:52:32

I'm basically in the same boat. Just got 2003 Savage with 1600 miles on it. Just test drove it, picking it up tomorrow.  Bike will run only with petcock in "PRI". Needs more choke then it should. Looks brand new!
I ordered Raptor petcock from Amazon (~20$) and I plant to use sea foam to clean the carburetor.. Will see if it works. The tires are probably original (how to check the date?), they don't show any kind of damage either.
With 1600 miles but 2003; what should be checked or replaced??
BTW: this is my first post here so go easy on me Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 05/29/15 at 14:53:25

I hope you get a real Raptor petcock. The over the counter,in the box,genuine thing is under 30.
Several have
Saved some bucks
and bought cheap, less than desirable units online. Some have been okay, you're not necessarily shafted, even a shady ,cheapo petcock is better than a dead Savage unit.
I don't know how long it sat, how it was stored.
Tires can get unsafe even though the tread is good.
It's just barely broken in! I would change the oil.
Rotella T 15-40 ,cheap and high quality.
I'd drain the carb bowl and tank and put fresh gas in.
I'd want to do that before I took it home.
I don't always get what I want.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #23 - 05/29/15 at 15:37:11

Daren:   The tires may look good, but they have been on the bike for 12 years already....  
When I bought my '06 w/39xx miles, I found the carb floats "sticky" from old fuel. I ended up cleaning and rejetting the carb as well as flushing out the tank. (I also cleaned out the air box and replaced the air filter too.)  JOG2 is right about the oil/ filter change.  Try to get the owner's manual too. It will save a good of head scratching.
Good Luck and Enjoy. Smiley

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #24 - 05/29/15 at 17:03:41

Thank God I'm not "the new(est) guy" here anymore  Wink Welcome aboard Darren.

I got this bike for a very good price. I knew when I bought it that it had been sitting, but I know the woman who sold it to me through some friends and had every confidence that everything was kosher.

There is no doubt that the price of the bike "picked me" rather than me going looking for a specific cycle....but after doing a boatload of research on the savage I was convinced it was the right bike for what I intend to use it for. The Vulcans are too darn expensive and the VLX is a big, fat, heavy tank. Same with the V-Stars.

I'll get the bike to where I want it, I'm confident of that. It's just a matter of taking the time and getting the right info.

Btw guys, took the bike out for a 40 mile ride this evening (got the license plate today) and along with the other things mentioned in this thread already, I noticed I have a noise coming from the left rear side of the bike in the general area of the tire....that happens ONLY when I am making left hand lean turns. Also, speed has to be above 35 or so to hear it. The more aggressive the turn is (lean angle) the louder the noise is. Sounds like the tire or where the drive belt goes around the rear sprocket. Its very hard to tell with a helmet on and all the wind noise.

So, Tuesday it goes in to Ray Price for a set of tires (Dunlap) and a 5,000 mile check. I'll ask about the price to take the carb apart and clean/re-jet it....but at $85 an hour I may need to tackle that myself.

IP Logged
DaveLKN
YaBB Newbies

Lake Norman NC
Reply #25 - 05/29/15 at 20:45:09

Welcome to this forum. It's an invaluable resource that let's me work on my 98 myself.

I just pulled the carb outa mine since I let it sit for a long while without enough stabilized fuel in it. It was no big deal using the instructions and suggestions here. Using the correct Japanese Philips screwdrivers (they really exist- BUY THEM) I pulled it apart, cleaned out the crud that Seafoam never will, and reinstalled. Runs correctly again. Now just like you, I'm off to the DMV for a renewal.

Using the tech section you'll know more about this bike than those guys at Ray Price HD will. The previous owner of mine took it to a local Hawg Shop for oil change and "tune-up" and ended up with an oil filter install problem they had to pay for. If they knew this bike like the owners here do, it never would have happened.

BTW I was in Raleigh/Youngsville Monday. Got lots of in-law family in Wake & Granville Counties.

1998 Savage LS650
1998 Marauder VZ800
member- Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 05/29/15 at 20:56:05

oil filter install problem

Read

PRO feshunal me kannik put the filter on Bakkerds...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DaveLKN
YaBB Newbies

Lake Norman NC
Reply #27 - 05/29/15 at 21:16:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/29/15 at 20:56:05:
oil filter install problem

Read:

PRO feshunal me kannik put the filter on Bakkerds...

Yup-yup-yup....then tightened the cover down....so I'm told....

1998 Savage LS650
1998 Marauder VZ800
member- Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #28 - 05/30/15 at 02:55:40

Boogie with_Stu, give the back of the belt guard a bit of a shake and ensure it's not loose or broken.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #29 - 05/30/15 at 08:23:39

A little vaseline on the sides of the belt will tell you (temporarily) if it's the belt dragging agains the side of the pulley making the sound.

Also, check the side of the tire to make sure it isn't dragging on a bolt or something under the fender and it only happens when the suspension is compressed in the turn.

Upper and lower belt guards are good sources for noise.  As mentioned, check them to make sure they are tight.

Check the tech section.
There is info about belt tension.
There is info about belt alignment.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:16:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new to the forums and the Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.