Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
More "Net neutrality" or reporters are stoopid (Read 27 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
More "Net neutrality" or reporters are stoopid
05/18/15 at 20:16:11

So its a Yahoo "news" thing:
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/t-stunningly-shameless-net-neutrality-161701534....

That you can read for yourself ( or not)...
The reporter seems pretty smug about "catching" AT&T at some position change... wrong  The way I see it.. AT&T PAID the reporter and yahell to print this crap...
the REAL story???

AT&T (and Comcast)  NOW have to compete with anyone else who wants to enter the once (nearly) locked market... so while they SAID they would not invest if it went title II.. the truth was/is.. now that it has gone gone title II they now HAVE TO invest or loose market share. Which is EXACTLY what I said in my post. (What I said was.. let them stop investing .. so what.. they just loose market that IS a cash cow to someone else)

NAILED IT

AT&T is already very much into two tier market with their name-sake moniker being their premium product. (Cricket Wireless is also owned by AT&T) I suspect they will attempt to keep this tiered idea by hoping to raise their speed (only as much as they have to) to keep their price up and let the bottom feeding noobs push out lower speeds at reduced prices. (I really should not call them that... I want the new ISPs to enter the market).
Comcast will do the same. While the FCC will not allow two tier internet within a network.. they can't stop Comcast from creating a very high speed network and charging a premium to play on it.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: More "Net neutrality" or reporters are stoopid
Reply #1 - 05/19/15 at 09:37:05

For what I understand... now that 4G is hitting the international market, companies who intend to survive will have to invest and upgrade their networks to 4G, else be pushed out of the market by those who have invested.

The details are not clear to me but it appears that fixed and mobile phones use the one and same numbering system, based on the residency of the owner of said number (whoever pays the bill).
This means that, i.e., a person based in Arlington, VA., will have two phones both starting with "703".
This makes it easier for anyone local company to gradually work its way into said local market, until there is a virtual monopoly in that area.

Europe is vastly different: not only do mibile phones have different numbering systems, so that you can tell if a subscriber is using a mobile or fixed phone simply by the number he's providing you, but the market is a network of confederated companies.

Vodafone comes to mind: although Vodafone UK, Vodafone FR and Vodafone IT are officially three different companies based in three different Countries, when you're abroad (roaming within Europe) Customer Support and System Support numbers are the same, and you can have assistance wherever you go.

Everybody's been advertising 4G for months now, and since you can buy unlocked phones for reasonably affordable prices (Samsung Galaxy S3 at €249 with 3G, Apple iPhone 6 64GB at €649) people generally buy the SIM chip alone, not a locked phone.
This makes for cheaper phones and companies are doing whatever in their marketing power to steal each other's customers.
Currently I have a "Family Contract" for three 3G SIMs + one 4G data SIM at €40/month, 2GB/each and unlimited calls and SMS.
BUT
Who uses SMS these days anyway, when you can send pics with WhatsApp and Skype calls to friends and family overseas ?
Cool
So, while I do not call this "deregulaiton" because the rules are there and they are quite clear, I must say that if the Government imposes too many limitations the market will suffer.

Remember the 1980's, when one could choose whether to use a PC running DOS+Win3.1, but also Apple Macintosh, Commodore Amiga and Atari ST1024?
It was an all-out battle, and Microsoft had to invent "Win95" or else lose the market to the competition running Motorola68000-based hardware.

The same is now, if you can't cope and upgrade to 4G, you're out.
And you can't force a company to "upgrade just a little bit", because the same people will lose out, again.
Not the Yuppies working in "Metropolis" but the country folk who are still struggling with dial-up and ETACS phones (are there still any out there?) because nobody is willing to deliver UTP cable or fiber optic to one Homestead 50 miles from Nowhereville, KS...

So, it's 4G and broadband or nothing...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/08/24 at 00:35:16

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › More "Net neutrality" or reporters are stoopid

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.