Send Topic Print
Airbox mod (Read 156 times)
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Airbox mod
05/17/15 at 04:46:47

I thought i remembered seeing it now i cant find it. On how to eliminate the airbox and convert to a cone/round filter and what materials would one need

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Airbox mod
Reply #1 - 05/17/15 at 08:03:43

I wish someone would run before and after Dynos on that.
Decreased surface area to draw air thru, I spent several hours reading about intake theory, since intake relies on suction, an obstruction is a bigger limiter of air flow through the motor than the same obstruction in the exhaust, because the piston is pumping air passed it.

Optimum intake design has sufficient volume between filter and carb to fill the cylinder. Careful work CAN create a pressure wave standing in the intake just waiting for the intake to open, but that would, unless variable, enhance a small RPM range.
The science of intake design has only barely been approached on this forum..
I don't remember what all I learned, but I increased the volume of the air box. I had a Stage one cam, Supertrapp with 14 disks ,jetted carb,
Zero to sixty times were ever so close to six seconds and I had not lightened anything.
I did use a KN filter but wouldn't again,,, money wasted IMO.
I would not spend the money on a Supertrapp, unless someone does dyno runs proving the Trapp IS sufficiently superior to justify. $400.00 vs. $20.00
money for a muffler. Besides, the Trapp is ugly and the Dyna looks good.
Of course, dyno runs or timed runs, something besides Seatof the pannts,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
spearheadss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wylie, TX
Reply #2 - 05/17/15 at 12:23:57

2001 Suzuki Savage. Screaming Eagle exhaust. Raptor Petcock. Routy's Forward Controls. 150 Main and 50 pilot.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/17/15 at 15:06:51

efficient air intake design for large single cylinder engine

Ever try to drink a malt through a skinny straw?
The more square inches the air filter has, the easier it is. Remember,intake isnt Shoved in. Exhaust is Gonna happen, but intake can easily be restricted.
The manifold volume between filter and carb , for best results,, according to what I have read and can't find now,  needs to be at least the volume of the cylinder. Or, as we see on competitive stuff, very low restriction.
If looks is the goal, just be aware that some aftermarket filter mounts can block important passages on the carb.
Several here know what works, sorry, that is all I know.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #4 - 05/17/15 at 17:42:45

Depends on the design. I am looking to extend the pipe. I would just fit a velocity stack but in the morning on my way back from work i ride through MANY large community of weird flys to the point it feels like rain lol. Maybe once i take off the carb il measure the opening and maybe get one of the customs shops to fabricate me an intake pipe and lead a filter to a non low pressure zone and see if a 'ram air' will do and good lol

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/18/15 at 03:22:55

Neilap wrote on 05/17/15 at 17:42:45:
Maybe once i take off the carb il measure the opening and maybe get one of the customs shops to fabricate me an intake pipe and lead a filter to a non low pressure zone and see if a 'ram air' will do and good lol

Ram Air will sure confuse your carb....unless you connect the vents to it as well.  Most ram air/scoop setups on cars places the entire carb in the housing for the ram air so the entire carb is under the same pressure.

Get too much pressure.....and you will be pushing the fuel back up into the gas tank on this gravity flow system! Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 05/18/15 at 05:23:43

Neilap wrote on 05/17/15 at 04:46:47:
I thought i remembered seeing it now i cant find it. On how to eliminate the airbox and convert to a cone/round filter and what materials would one need

Is this change for looks or for performance? If it's for looks, you can use rubber plumbing adapters and your favorite shape K&N (or knock-off).

If it's for performance, don't waste your time or money. The stock airbox works fine and is not a restriction of air flow to the carb. A good clean filter is all that is required to flow the proper amount of air.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #7 - 05/19/15 at 19:49:11

It is mainly for looks. The only 'performance' thing id like to do is get the pipe made out of metal to look nice and stay cool. As we all know black absorbs heat and shiny rreflects. But as for myself i have never felt rubber actually get really cold. I am a very strange thinking individual lol.

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #8 - 05/19/15 at 19:51:36

Ram Air will sure confuse your carb....unless you connect the vents to it as well.  Most ram air/scoop setups on cars places the entire carb in the housing for the ram air so the entire carb is under the same pressure.

Get too much pressure.....and you will be pushing the fuel back up into the gas tank on this gravity flow system! Shocked [/quote]

Ventings as a vent hole in the intake to allow excess air to pass through while its not on an intake stroke? That and keep it fromt forcing pressure and as you said basically blow air through the pilots and killing the venturi effect?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 09:36:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Airbox mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.