Harley Muffler Sound? (Read 90 times)
alienbogey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gig Harbor, WA
Harley Muffler Sound?
05/13/15 at 12:25:10

As documented on http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1431489495/0 we're working through the backfire issues on my wife's new to us 2007 S40.  We'd like to get it running right all at once, with no need to go back and do things over.

Her stock Suzuki muffler has road rash from the PO, and we've read the sticky on replacing it with a Harley muffler, either a Dyna, Sportster, or Softail.  

1.  This offers a freer-flowing exhaust which should lead to performance gains, assuming a properly re-jetted carb, correct?

2.  My wife does NOT want her S40 to sound like a loud, obnoxious Harley.  She is happy with how it sounds now, and does not want to swap mufflers if it will make her bike a lot louder.  How much, if any, does the Harley muffler swap increase the decibels?

3.  Of the three Harley mufflers in the sticky (Dyna, Sportster, Softtail), are any of them noticably louder or quieter than the others?  How about compared to the stock S-40 sound?

Thanks.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Harley Muffler Sound?
Reply #1 - 05/13/15 at 12:32:31

The Dyna muffler is louder than the stocker, but not,  imo, obnoxious, and the sound is deeper
There will be a performance gain, if you rejet properly, it may not be huge, but I'm assured it's there
the 3 muffs will all have the same sound, so far as I know, the Dyna is supposed to be the easiest to install

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #2 - 05/13/15 at 12:38:27

I replaced the stock muffler with a 27 inch EMCO that gives me an improvement in power with acceptable db. levels. (Louder than the stock, but not at all noticeable compared to any of the local Harleys. Best part is that I paid $70 for it on Amazon and it took me longer to sort my tools than it did to install it.)

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 05/13/15 at 13:22:21

I am somewhat of a traditionalist, but wanted something a little less 'chirpy' than the stock muffler. I went with the dyna. Easy to install (follow the guidance of this forum and you'll be fine). A tad louder, but not obnoxious. Makes it sound deeper and more like the motorcycle that it is and less like a VW beetle.

IMHO, I think from what you share that you'll be happy with the dyna.

If you want one to experiment with, I have one that is all scratched up and has the incorrect mount (to mount it permanently you'll need to make a bracket but it's fine to plug in and listen to). Pay for shipping and I'll send it to you...It's just collecting dust in my shop.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/13/15 at 15:44:46

Take her to listen to a stock HD Dyna..
That's two pistons..consider the difference.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
alienbogey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gig Harbor, WA
Reply #5 - 05/13/15 at 16:09:56

stewmills:  Thanks for the offer, but I can probably get one muffler here for not much more than the cost of shipping.

Along those lines, here is a craigslist ad for a pair of Dyna mufflers.  

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mpo/4993290998.html

The bracket isn't shown, so I can't tell if it's appropriate for the swap.  He did give the part numbers, though, and here is a link to HD:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/baloney-cut-slip-on-mufflers-pa-06-80104...

That's not a really clear look at the mount points, either, and I can't tell whether they match the recommended Dyna mufflers in the forum thread:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298689417

Can anyone tell if these are the magic Dyna mufflers for the swap?

I've emailed the guy hoping he'll sell just one.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/13/15 at 16:15:18

Buy both and sell one to the next new guy who joins. Been done before.
And look in the Marketplace, might be one for sale.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
alienbogey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gig Harbor, WA
Reply #7 - 05/13/15 at 16:30:30

Ah, good idea, I'll do that once it's confirmed that those are the right ones.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 05/13/15 at 16:43:17

Just a little warning,... Baloney cut mufflers may be louder...
Stick with stock Harley shorty mufflers if you want to be safe,... and make sure they haven't had the baffle punched out by the PO...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 05/13/15 at 17:15:55

I swapped both mine and my wifes LS650's to dyna's, and did not have to rejet... mine runs a little rich, but I don't think the dyna caused that.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
alienbogey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gig Harbor, WA
Reply #10 - 05/13/15 at 17:58:08

Serowbot wrote on 05/13/15 at 16:43:17:
Just a little warning,... Baloney cut mufflers may be louder...
Stick with stock Harley shorty mufflers if you want to be safe,... and make sure they haven't had the baffle punched out by the PO...
Wink...

Dang, I was so busy looking at the mounting bracket I didn't even notice the cut of the outlet.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 03:30:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Harley Muffler Sound?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.