Lube the clutch cable. (Read 88 times)
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Lube the clutch cable.
05/10/15 at 14:45:39

It is like getting used to a front tire as it wears down, and then getting a new tire and discovering what it should feel like.  If you haven't lubed your clutch cable for a couple of years, you may be in for a very pleasant surprise.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Lube the clutch cable.
Reply #1 - 05/10/15 at 15:14:15

True, and of course routing matters.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #2 - 05/11/15 at 10:49:00

I just got this Lube kitin the mail yesterday!  What lube did you end up using?  They just use Lithium Grease at this motorcycle shop next to me but I wanted something that was gonna break up the current dirty first so I decided to go with this lubricant.

« Last Edit: 05/11/15 at 12:17:09 by nickythegreek »  
WWW   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/11/15 at 11:11:42

You're right about cables.  I was in a bike shop a couple weeks ago and they had a new S40 on the floor and I couldn't believe how easy the levers and throttle worked.  I decided that cable lubrication has got to go on my things to do list.

When I was a kid I just used motor oil because it was cheap, it worked but I am also wondering if there is something better.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/11/15 at 12:14:05

I bought my cable luber at the local motorcycle shop, and it included the cleaning/lube spray and the attachment for the cable end.  Attach it, give it a 3-5 second spray.....job done.

http://www.protectall.com/cablehowto.aspx

Also, you should remove the lever, clean the pivot bolt and bushing in the lever, then put a small amount of a light grease on the parts, and put them back together.  Same with the lever on the master cylinder for the front brake, and the rear brake foot pedal, cable and shaft in the rear brake pedal....and the foot shift lever and linkage.

These parts are often overlooked.......and you really should be cleaning and lubing them once a year at a minimum.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 23:04:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › Lube the clutch cable.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.