RC Stuff (Read 143 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
RC Stuff
04/25/15 at 14:36:58

Anyone fly RC?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: RC Stuff
Reply #1 - 04/25/15 at 16:54:49

Hell yes. If I could only have one hobby,passtime what have you,rc gliders would be it. Also done a bit of power flying,helis and quads (drones to you ).

IP Logged
dontwannapickle
YaBB Newbies

Woodbows and sharp
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #2 - 04/25/15 at 17:35:37

Not RC, but while teens my brothers and I used to fly u-control with .049 powered batwing planes. After we got good enough we flew combat. Put a ribbon of crepe paper on the back and stood side by side trying to cut the other brother's ribbon. Short ribbon lost. Had some very spectaculr collisions, too. Wish that stuff was still available.

'04 Savageless
I don't wanna pickle. I just wanna ride on my motorsickle.
And I don't wanna die, I just wanna ride on my motorcy...cle.
-Arlo Guthrie
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 04/25/15 at 18:03:34

Im pretty sure that you can still get UControl stuff. I have an Enya35, gas tank and handle, no wires, from 40years ago.
I'm not sure about what I want. I've flown an RC plane. I got good quick. Another radio accidentally,coff,coff, got turned on..  same frequency, even though I had a flag on the pole Showing I was on that frequency. Jealous rage, I was flying circles around the guy and he had been flying about 3 months, me, about a month..
I'm Thinking I want to try the helicopter. But the glider idea has triggered a thought... Since the decision making skills have changed, alarmingly, I either want to do what challenges and hopefully sharpens, maybe even , well, darn words are not coming,  kinda therapy... I'm not comfortable driving in the last coupla months. So, maybe a glider is a good idea, but I think I need something more challenging.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/25/15 at 18:16:40

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/25/15 at 18:03:34:
So, maybe a glider is a good idea, but I think I need something more challenging.

I don't know what's available to you in your local, but I like slope soaring.
With a good breeze you can stay up all day doing acrobatics that'll make even the power boys smile.
and on a calm day the challenge is to stay up on a breath of air looking for thermals, chasing hawks and whatever comes your way.

WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 04/25/15 at 18:32:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/25/15 at 18:03:34:

So, maybe a glider is a good idea, but I think I need something more challenging.

The challenge is where you find it. I'm in same boat as versy. I love slope soaring, in big wind with heavy sleds doing massive half pipes and big aerobatics. The icing on the cake is dynamic soaring with the world speed record at over 500mph, just gliding and no power. It's great fun and a massive challenge flying a glider through rough air, 10' off the deck at 100's of MPH. Check RCSpeeds.com to know more.  thermalling is great fun, discus launch and winch launch style and is a whole nother game to play.
as for CL, that stuffs all still available and Brodak is still in business. Good luck whatever you choose

Check this one. My favourite DS vid on youtube. This model is doing about 200, 250 mph and the noise isn't a jet engine, just the airframe making the noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY41yVq88mc

And Daboz doing his record 505mph at the same hill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7gL9uA-McY

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/25/15 at 19:11:25

Ohh, that is cool. Ill hafta check out the hobby shop and see if there is any of that here. We don't see kites on sale in the Spring, like W. Texas does.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 04/25/15 at 20:19:44

Im looking at discus launch gliders.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 04/25/15 at 20:36:18

There's a pretty strong DLG scene in TX, so you could find some local crew to show you some models, how it works and the rest. Maybe they'll have an old beater they can sell you cheap to get you started. And DLG flyers are good people.
If you can find a copy of Lift Ticket, Directors Cut, it's worth watching. A bit dated now but still fun and a good insight into what makes glider flyers tick.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/25/15 at 20:45:19

Thanks for all the help,guys. I never woulda guessed that I could get interested in something that doesn't even have a motor.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 04/25/15 at 21:29:03

Hmm, look what I found,, it has a motor.
http://www.raidentech.com/4vedi4marfgi.html

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #11 - 04/25/15 at 22:17:02

D'ya know what? If you haven't flown in a while these things are not too bad:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17227__Phoenix_2000_EPO_Composite_...

Cheap, ready to fly, really robust, fly well and did I mention cheap? Looks like a POS but you won't cry when it takes a dirt dive.

The big scale models are more of a commitment. They need to be flown well, don't tolerate mistakes (fragile) and can be a handful to manage. Most of those big cheap ones are made in China to pretty low standards, as well. They're known as "chinese eggshells" for a good reason.

Don't skimp on the radio, either. Get something that you can grow into, or you'll be forking out for an upgrade sooner or later, assuming you stick with the hobby.

As always, IMO, YMMV etc.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 04/26/15 at 11:39:40

Phoenix looks like a great start up. I have a friend who is a lot like me, only still driving... I'm hoping he will get interested. Looks like a pretty inexpensive hobby,as most hobbies go.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 04/26/15 at 17:29:01

I saw a video of a plane that had a camera on a carbon fiber tube taped to the wing. It stayed in place, through the wind and force of a loop.
I'm interested in such a small camera. Id like to be able to see what is on the place. I know we have deer, but being able to film , and if they can be aimed, then, wow, I could fly a slow pass and pan back and forth.
If I could get one that could communicate with the ground and I could see what it sees in real time, shazzam..

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #14 - 04/26/15 at 19:13:09

This:
https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/

Flying with a video feed back to LCD goggles or monitor screen is no problem, easily eachievable and not very expensive these days. Takes some good pioloting skills tho. It makes me feel motion sick when I've tried it. Can put it on fixed wing planes or quadcopters and can get 3 axis camera gimbals, image stabilisers, GPS autopilot and all kinds of cool stuff. Search FPV (First Person View) . check out what Team Black Sheep is up to these days.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 19:40:23

General CategoryThe Cafe › RC Stuff

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.