Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sigh... tires (Read 248 times)
Drey
YaBB Newbies

Seattle, WA
Sigh... tires
04/10/15 at 22:50:24

I've read enough tire related threads to know this is a maybe too popular question. But I'm pretty new to riding (bought my 2009 S40 late last May) and I need new tires and a little help.

I commute on my bike everyday rain or shine and it's Seattle so more often than not it's rain. I rode about 2000 miles in 10 months and I plan to take a bunch of longer trips this summer so I imagine I'll put putting more than that on in the next few years.

My bank account, recommendations here, and reviews on other sites make me think the Shinko 712 is a pretty good buy. My question is should I be looking at something nicer like a Michelin Commander II instead? It's a good deal more money but is it worth it in the long run?

I'm more about safety than speed. Please oh wise ones, bestow your vast knowledge upon me. What would you get if you were me?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Sigh... tires
Reply #1 - 04/11/15 at 08:08:56

I do like my Shinko 712 but,... I ride in rain 2 or 3 times a year, and never on purpose...
Dunlop 404's or Kenda cruisers look to have more center tread cuts for water dispersal...
If I were a PNW rider I'd look for deep tread patterns down the center of the tires... It'll cost you in tread life, but push more water away...

We do have several PNW riders here... let them chime in before making a decision...
Wink...

...and, welcome to the site... Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
botticelli

Custom Savage Build
Coming!

Boston
Reply #2 - 04/11/15 at 12:56:14

I will preface that I don't go out of my way to ride the savage in the rain.
It happens maybe 5-10 days a season for me when I ride to work and need to get home in the rain.

I use the Kenda Cruisers and have been satisfied with the wet performance.

I sure someone here might have more to offer.

Four wheels move the body, two move the soul!
  IP Logged
Drey
YaBB Newbies

Seattle, WA
Reply #3 - 04/11/15 at 13:20:06

Thanks for the advice so far and the welcome!

I'll definitely hold off on making a decision for a bit to see if any other PNW riders have any advice. If they mentioned where they get them installed too that'd be rad. I'm called Seattle Cycle Center today to find out about their prices.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 04/11/15 at 20:51:05

With the mileage you are putting on the bike, Metzeler.  Sticky tires and good mileage.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 04/12/15 at 00:12:13

PNW (Puyallup) born and raised. I ran exclusively Dunlop D404 out there. 44K (yes, thousand) miles in 18 months on a Kawasaki Vulcan 800A, and the tires still had viable tread when the bottom end of the engine blew up... multiple 140+ mph runs, twisted the speedometer cable apart, twisted the hub drive apart, twisted the gauge apart...

Honestly, as much as it pains me to say it, if they are still in business, Bent Bike. Carry your wheel in, buy a tire and tube from them, mounting is included in the tire price (or was when I worked there anyway). As is disposal.

Have to admit that the Cheng Shin 140/90-15 installed on my 98 LS650 back in 2000 is still on the bike, and is considered a "good to go" spare for my 2003 daily rider. Thousands of miles on it, and it is a bit dried out, but...

Have a new old stock Dunlop Qualifier (cruiser pattern, not sportbike, totally obsolete) on the 2003 right now. Second one in 2 years, and it is hammered. Looks like a square profile no newer than 1984 tire... even with scraping the floorboards (yes, I run boards on a Savage, hate pegs) regularly. Of course, the tire codes out to either 1994 or 2004...  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
FDM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

North Shore MA
Reply #6 - 04/12/15 at 06:09:49

The first set of new tires that I bought were purchased on sale and shipped free from a major internet supplier. I then discovered that no shop would mount them for what I felt was a reasonable rate because I hadn't purchased my tires through them. In the end I could have purchased a more expensive (and supposedly therefore a better quality) tire and had it mounted through a local shop for about the same price. So if you're looking for a shop to do this job for you try finding them first and then go talk to them BEFORE you go purchasing an on sale smoking deal steal off the internet and paying three times as much for mounting/balancing.

87 Savage currently receiving a total rebuild
79 XS 650 Special (stock)
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 04/12/15 at 09:40:07

The solution to that problem is mount and balance your own tires.  They are not hard to deal with like tubeless car tires.When you get tires, get tubes and rim strips too.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Drey
YaBB Newbies

Seattle, WA
Reply #8 - 04/12/15 at 09:51:40

Thanks everyone! I think I'm leaning toward the Dunlop 404s.

I want to eventually get to the point of doing this sort of thing myself but for now I live in an apartment with no garage. Doing it on the side of the street sounds like a nightmare! Local shop actually has them on sale right now and with the cheaper installation it's not a bad deal compared to buying online.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/12/15 at 10:08:44

there are a couple of portable tools you should look at...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Bead-Breaker-Tire-Changer-Lifetime-warrant...

http://www.angelridevideos.com/reviews/Mojo.html

you'll need to make a base for the changer, but that can be a couple of 2x4's to make a big X.
I stumbled across the mojo lever looking for the rim protector blocks for the HF tire changer.  Looks like it might be a good tool.

The D404 is a light tire and a good one to choose to learn on.

WWW   IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #10 - 04/12/15 at 12:58:55

I am sure that I will be proven wrong, but so far the IRC tires that came with my 2013 S40 appear to hold pretty well on dry concrete or black top roads.

I am have been low enough to rub on "The Chicken Strips" and haven't felt any signs of the tires slipping.

I will find out more when I get caught in the rain.

Kenny G

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 04/13/15 at 01:39:44

Kenny G, I ride in the rain if it catches me, I don't seek it out, while I never had slip issues with the rear IRC, I'm much happier with my Michelin Commander in spite of probably more unsprung weight.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 04/13/15 at 05:55:19

Kenny G wrote on 04/12/15 at 12:58:55:
I am sure that I will be proven wrong, but so far the IRC tires that came with my 2013 S40 appear to hold pretty well on dry concrete or black top roads.

Kenny G

The stock tires aren't really "bad" - but when you do wear them down and get new tires....you will be able to feel the difference and most likely the new tires will make a noticeable improvement.  When I bought my bike the stock tires were 5 years old but only had 262 mile on them.....and like you say they seemed to be fine....I didn't find anything to complain about.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 04/13/15 at 07:56:31

Paladin. wrote on 04/11/15 at 20:51:05:
With the mileage you are putting on the bike, Metzeler.  Sticky tires and good mileage.

Yep sir'ee !

I've got the Metzeler 880's on mine and they are sticky enough for me.
I did get a good deal on them from ebay and had a local Harley type shop mount them for me ... he wasn't all cranked up about buying from him, he was just a good dude and did work for me when I needed.

If anyone is ever broke down in the Columbia, SC area, this shop is:

76 Cycle Shop
803-932-9000
285-H Chapin Rd.
Chapin, SC

Chapin is 18 miles N. of Columbia, just off I-35.

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #14 - 04/14/15 at 15:50:43

I'm in Vancouver, BC. I ride in the rain all the time and I find my Kenda's are pretty darn good for that. Just thought I'd through my 2 cents in.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 15:36:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sigh... tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.