Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Cafe Racer, or Chopper Style Savage?

Cafe Racer
Chopper Style
Leave The Way It Is.

« Created by: Suzukisavvy on: 03/25/15 at 07:17:09 »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
CAFE RACER vs. B.A. CHOPPER (Read 275 times)
Suzukisavvy

You're Droolin,
While I'm Spoolin

Nebraska, USA
CAFE RACER vs. B.A. CHOPPER
03/25/15 at 07:17:09

I'm having trouble deciding what I want to do with this Savage. What do you think?  Cool

In my creepy robot voice.
  IP Logged
TNelsonFLA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sunny South Florida
Re: CAFE RACER vs. B.A. CHOPPER
Reply #1 - 03/25/15 at 07:31:24

I am going for a bobber style. To me chopper style makes me thinks of a raked front end. But voted chopper

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 03/25/15 at 07:57:59

I voted Cafe Racer, but I'm biased. This isn't something that can be decided by a vote. It's about what motivates you, your skill level, available resources and your commitment to the project. Once you have an honest conversation with yourself, the correct action will present itself.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/25/15 at 08:20:40

I didn't vote yet....but it all really just depends on what you want to do.

If you want to be comfortable, ride around and appreciate a motorcycle that gives you little trouble and miles of amusement and doesn't get too many folks upset....then just leave the bike pretty much as it came from the factory.  Fix the cam chain tensioner and head plug issues when they come around, install a windshield and bags if you want, add a Kawasaki front pulley if you want a little better gearing for the highway - then rack up miles like Youzguys who has 120,000 miles on his Savage.  Folks who need their bikes to commute generally choose to leave the bike mostly stock, as do those who have limited work spaces or tools.

Or.....if you want to fit in with the Bobber/Harley/Chopper crowd and go for rides to the local bar or on a 30 mph group ride now and then, go ahead and make a bobber/rat bike.  They are socially acceptable in some circles, and currently there is a strong "scene" that supports motorcycles in this form in most areas.  Bike shows have a strong attendance with this type of motorcycle....and knowing how to paint is not a necessity.  Long rides are possible - but I can't remember anyone on this forum who takes them on long rides regularly...although NickytheGreek has gone on long rides on his bike.

If you like to ride on curvy roads and have the ability to fold your feet up underneath you while you sit on a tiny seat - the Cafe' bike has a lot of popularity with folks..even ones who don't ride.  The more vintage you make it look the more support it gets from the general public....and a good muffler also makes it socially acceptable.  If you are in good physical shape there is nothing to keep you from doing 250 miles in a day.....but a lack of luggage space does prove to be an issue and you have to take a backpack if you want to haul anything.

And....if you don't know what to do - just ride until you get it figured out!  You have to decide if you want to spend your time working on a project - or riding.  For me the 60+ degree days are for riding, and the colder days (and winter) are for building or maintaining he bike.

« Last Edit: 03/25/15 at 09:31:27 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/25/15 at 12:27:10

I am a tall guy who likes a smooth comfy ride. Chopper all the way.
When I get a truck I am totally redoing my bike chopper style similar to this build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Yd2BrlDDI

Let me know what you choose and we can brainstorm on our builds and compare  Cool

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 03/25/15 at 13:00:10

Iceman4193 wrote on 03/25/15 at 12:27:10:
I am a tall guy who likes a smooth comfy ride. Chopper all the way.
When I get a truck I am totally redoing my bike chopper style similar to this build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Yd2BrlDDI

Let me know what you choose and we can brainstorm on our builds and compare  Cool

That's a good, clean looking bike. Raised handlebars, forward controls, what looks like an extended length RAASK header, and a full rear fender.
Very Nice!  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 03/25/15 at 14:35:13

Too bad that one's idling too slowly.
Oh yeah, I vote for bobber. 'Cause that's what I did so it must be right.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/25/15 at 16:35:06

I don't remember what you have said about how much you've ridden, how long you've had the Savage, how many miles IT has and how many of them are Your miles.
So,

I wouldn't change the look before getting it sorted out. I'd get the Verslavy tensioner in it. IF you're wanting more OOOMPH, then decide how to do that. What are you wanting from the bike? You wanna play Ricky Roadracer or you wanna cruise thru town low and slow?
First things first tho, IMO, get it running like you want, ditch the OEM,petcock, get the cam chain issues dealt with, and get at least one riding season on it and let how it feels help you decide.
Read the post on the Honda, think about why you want to change how it looks.
Master getting it in first gear and making distracted drivers see you and stopping aimed at a quick getaway so if someone rear ends the car in front of you,you're not dead..
And remember, as cool as they look without a front fender, there is a reason for them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #8 - 03/25/15 at 17:25:30

Everyone has pretty much said the same thing. You build what works for you. For me it was a bobber. Physical limitations make a cafe bike hard for me to ride for longer periods than about 30 minutes. Reconstructed right hip and rod in femur don't go well with knees in chest riding position. Even with the amount of stretch and basically "lazy" riding position I've built in I'm still only good for about 100 miles one way before I need an extended break.

Custom builds are head turners. With a cafe the more you go for vintage the more attention it gets. With a bobber/chopper minimalistic ideals save money. (There's no need for fancy parts = cheaper build) kits are easy to come by and brands like RYCA have the everything's included option or you can piece out just what you need/want.

Building a bike is just as fun as owning one and having one that stands out in a crowd is gratifying. Build it for you how you want it.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Reply #9 - 03/25/15 at 18:59:13

Most of all be safe and have fun! Smiley (My mom used to say the same thing. I told her to pick one or the other.  Cheesy  )
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #10 - 03/26/15 at 13:18:10

street tracker!   Cool

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #11 - 03/26/15 at 15:11:30

I voted Chopper. As tight as some of the Cafe's around here are, I just can't get past the rear shock location; it looks wrong to me for that style of bike. All of the vintage Cafe Racer's I've seen have a high backed frame with a higher shock stud location, so that's kinda a key part of the look for me. I'd love to see one with re-located, longer shocks....  

YMMV, o' course.  Smiley

In the end, do what ya want

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/27/15 at 03:33:57

Smokestack wrote on 03/26/15 at 15:11:30:
As tight as some of the Cafe's around here are, I just can't get past the rear shock location; it looks wrong to me for that style of bike. All of the vintage Cafe Racer's I've seen have a high backed frame with a higher shock stud location, so that's kinda a key part of the look for me. I'd love to see one with re-located, longer shocks..

Now that is really focusing on the details!

I am OK with the shocks being a bit more angled on a modern bikes vs. a vintage bike.

Vintage Triumph

Modern Triumph

What I am not "OK" with.....is the monoshock Cafe bike. That is just plain wrong.....Yuck! :-

[

« Last Edit: 03/27/15 at 05:26:03 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 03/27/15 at 16:14:03

Fossilize it. The electrical system and brakes were state of the art in the early 1970s. The engine is a mildly updated 1940s British bike. So, a build in the styles of the 50s, 60s or early to mid 70s is "right".

As cheap as Savages are, build a couple of them. Just make sure you have a back up bike before you start cutting. Was without a working ride for 4 years (12/10 to 4/14) and trust me, it sucks. Going from 30-40 thousand miles a year on two wheels, to none, and getting stuck commuting in a mini truck, is eat your gun time...

My late (as in deceased) 1998 that gave up a bunch of parts to my 2003 (that I still need to take a pic or two of).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
FDM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

North Shore MA
Reply #14 - 03/28/15 at 04:09:32

Everybody here is right. Some of the best advice here is from WD when he says get another bike to ride before you start chopping. If I've learned anything by building this bike it's that it will always take considerably longer than you plan to accomplish anything. I'm 16 months into my build and it will realistically be 2016 before it's ready to go (I hesitate to say finished). One of the best decisions I made so far was to buy a rider. I no longer stress out over how long my build is taking which makes the process much more enjoyable. The best part is when I finish the bobber I'm working on I have a running xs650(the current rider) to build a cafe! So then the question becomes, what style of bike to build first?

87 Savage currently receiving a total rebuild
79 XS 650 Special (stock)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:25:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › CAFE RACER vs. B.A. CHOPPER

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.