Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are torque cones enough? (Read 125 times)
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Are torque cones enough?
03/25/15 at 00:06:07

Trying to switch up the bobber exhaust and haven't really had any luck finding something ore-made. My 2 options are use the ryca header and custom turn down the backside of the clutch cover to a bias exit or take a stock exhaust and extend the down section between the clutch cover and foot controls then turn back from there. The issue is the ryca bobber hard tail is in line with the stock exhaust routing so I either have to extend that section to get below it or have the exhaust end in a bias before where the tube for the hard tail mounts.

Both of these options creates a baffle problem as there's not enough straight length for an insert. I've red up a bit on torque cones on a few exhaust makers website and they all state "good for creating backpressure in straight piped applications. Anyone have any real experience and know if it's gonna be enough for the bike to run right.

Bike is currently running a ryca header to short cone. Elbow with K&N cone filter and one step on the jets. I have more jets and can easily jet up for a more free flowing exhaust just concerned about adequate back pressure.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Are torque cones enough?
Reply #1 - 03/25/15 at 00:12:19

I've never heard of a torque cone before. You learn something every day. Thanks Rylee.
If you considered doing a straight drag pipe like you can see on the Blue Collar Bobbers savage, you could use one of these kind of things:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-1-2-x-8-UNIVERSAL-MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-CAR-CHROME-EXH...
My mate had an iron head sportster with straight pipes and these just took the edge off the noise a little and made enough back pressure for it to run ok. Still a pile, tho.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 03/25/15 at 06:18:19

You do not want a straight  pipe on this engine, whether you have a torque cone or not; it just does not run well with a straight pipe.
If you just HAVE to have the straight pipe look then look for one of the straight pipe looking muffler designs made for the big twins.  There are some that are made as slip-ons.  As mufflers they are "minimal" but at least are better than just a straight pipe.  
Just a suggestion.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 03/25/15 at 08:36:46

I imagine you are also a member on chopcult, but if not, dfinnegan is also on our site posting occasionally about his build.

Here is the link...
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34440

And a couple of pics that might give you a new idea or two...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/25/15 at 09:19:13

Dfinn must be snowed in....he hasn't posted anything in his build on this site for nearly 6 months.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1386084421

His exhaust system looks really nice - but we really don't know how well it is going to work.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #5 - 03/25/15 at 10:15:29

@Lancer. You are correct I do not wanna run straight pipes. I do however want to build a minimalistic exhaust that is baffled properly for the savage.
Unfortunately there is no bolt on application other than what is currently on the bike offered by RYCA. The issue is the hard tail kit bolts up directly under the oil view window which is in the original exhaust systems path. To get around this I can take the stock system an add length to the down turn that runs between the clutch cover and foot controls thus allowing me to get under the hard tails tubing. Issue there is now I'm running exhaust pipe below the lowest point of the bike which isn't very far from the ground to begin with.

Other option is to use the existing RYCA header and turn down the back side of the clutch cover towards the ground and bias cut the end outward. Both of these options create an issue of not enough "straight" length to insert a baffle. That's why I've been looking at alternative options such as torque cones.

I've seen packing and a crumb cup used to create baffled/back pressured systems and will look into that some more but it's still a bandaid.

I'm sick of burning holes in the underside of my pants legs on long rides or while dealing with traffic around town when she gets hot. I've wrapped the muffler on it now as far back as I could and it's helped a lot but it's not a fix.

image_225.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/25/15 at 10:28:54

correct baffling will do nothing to fix you burning pants issue Pinocchio.
If you can't reroute the pipe away from your leg, then insulation and heat shields is what you need.

I can get you various diameters and lengths of tubing but you'll have to make your own bracketry.

WWW   IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #7 - 03/25/15 at 12:05:39

verslagen1 wrote on 03/25/15 at 10:28:54:
correct baffling will do nothing to fix you burning pants issue Pinocchio.
If you can't reroute the pipe away from your leg, then insulation and heat shields is what you need.

I can get you various diameters and lengths of tubing but you'll have to make your own bracketry.

Routing it away from my leg is the plan. I'm just running into the issue of how to properly baffle a short system that's gonna be more bend than straight from start to finish.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/25/15 at 12:11:41

We've seen someone build a heat shield with sufficient distance between the header and it to actually Work...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #9 - 03/25/15 at 13:00:20

Ok so we've established heat shields and wrapping the exhaust will cut down on heat. Not what the topic was originally started for though. I'm not trying to cut down on heat from the existing exhaust I want to relocate it all together. The muffler is inches away from my thigh and no amount of heat shield or wrap is going to prevent the heat created from being a bother. I started this topic to get some insight into proper baffling custom exhaust. I'm not gonna be able to buy a slip on. There's no system other than what RYCA provides for the bobber build. It's going to have to be custom. So it's going to need baffling because I can not nor do I want to run straight pipes.

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 03/25/15 at 13:12:18

I'm thinking you could have an angle adapter made to attach to the header and extend it at an angle so that you could put the same megaphone exhaust still on it, but at an angle like so...

Adapter = RED
Muffler = YELLOW

image_225-e.jpg

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #11 - 03/25/15 at 13:27:58

@EJID ya that though ran through my mind. The current reverse cone that's on there is 21" in length. The "short" version is 17" and though it may work length wise I'm not sure I could do it without kicking it out a little to clear the hard tail tubing on the bottom.

That idea was pretty much what I wanted to do but with just pipe. RYCA sells a DIY tube kit I was gonna grab since I have welding equipment t but not a bender. I bought some flexible exhaust pipe from the auto parts store for a mock up to see if I could clear everything and it fit in nicely. I just can't for the life of me figure out how to properly baffle for sound and backpressure. Samson offers baffles in 4,6,8" lengths and I can possibly fit a 6" in the straight section of the header before it will make the turn down the back side of the clutch cover to exit. I guess I'm just gonna have to make a few mock ups with cheapo pipe from the auto parts store with varying baffle lengths and see what works

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:22:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Are torque cones enough?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.