Leveled out my seat (Read 232 times)
dontwannapickle
YaBB Newbies

Woodbows and sharp
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Leveled out my seat
03/13/15 at 15:14:01

Flattened out my seat for comfort. Cut salvaged packing foam that's about two inches thick for the deepest part of the seat and had a hump in the middle after recovering with the stock foam and cover. Peeled up the front and cut a wedge-shaped piece to fit and stapled the cover back down. Sat on it and kind of liked the new, smaller dip that was a bit further back than original, but after a short test ride I pulled the back staples and shoved another wedge of foam under the original foam. Once again, I stapled the cover down and this is where its at now. Sliding back to where I can just feel the seam between seats makes the bike fit just right. Good thing about recovering is you can just try and try again and finally get it adjusted just right. Don't be afraid to pull the staples to adjust it several times until its done the way you like it.

'04 Savageless
I don't wanna pickle. I just wanna ride on my motorsickle.
And I don't wanna die, I just wanna ride on my motorcy...cle.
-Arlo Guthrie
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Leveled out my seat
Reply #1 - 03/13/15 at 17:21:18

Looks really good. That's probably a better idea than raising the front of the seat with shims. It's probably stronger than "propping up" the seat on shims to be level.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #2 - 03/13/15 at 17:50:50

Pickle,

Is that the original cover on the drivers seat?

If so it looks like it stretched quite a bit to accommodate the additional foam.

I want to elevate my seat to the height that you have yours.

Kenny G

IP Logged
dontwannapickle
YaBB Newbies

Woodbows and sharp
Rocks!

Huntsville, AL
Reply #3 - 03/13/15 at 20:57:40

Yes. Original seat cover. It stretches quite a bit. Keep it straight by sinking staples at the centerline at an end then only a few staples in each side opposite each other as you go. Kneeling on it while stretching and stapling is what works. The original foam on top of added foam keeps it smooth. Heating the vinyl with a heatgun (or Texas sun) helps it stretch more but I did it on a cloudy 70' day. 1/4" staples are the right size.

And I did raise the front with #7 stoppers and 50mm bolts before I redid the seat. Still couldn't stand the back of the seat against my tailbone.

I did nothing to the rear seat.

'04 Savageless
I don't wanna pickle. I just wanna ride on my motorsickle.
And I don't wanna die, I just wanna ride on my motorcy...cle.
-Arlo Guthrie
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #4 - 03/13/15 at 21:09:08

Pickle,

Thank you for sharing the information.

I recently bought a second seat, the front half of a 2004 seat to experiment with. I planned on using polypropylene to build up the seat pan and then put the factory foam on top of it. I would also like to extend the seat just a little bit longer.

I am trying to figure out what to do with the factory fender so it doesn't look so bad when I am done with the seat.

Kenny G

IP Logged
AnalogMan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/02/15 at 13:19:13

Looks nice! I've been wanting to do something similar to sit a little further back.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 04/02/15 at 14:27:40

Kenny G wrote on 03/13/15 at 21:09:08:
Pickle,

Thank you for sharing the information.

I recently bought a second seat, the front half of a 2004 seat to experiment with. I planned on using polypropylene to build up the seat pan and then put the factory foam on top of it. I would also like to extend the seat just a little bit longer.

I am trying to figure out what to do with the factory fender so it doesn't look so bad when I am done with the seat.

Kenny G

You could try to do something like what Strangeling67 did with a fender bib on his...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1214359375/68#68

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #7 - 04/02/15 at 17:21:38

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1423586396/0#0

Kenny G... link above shows my fender bib.  Made by Mustang for a Sportster.  The back bolt hole lines up perfectly on the one piece seat models (05 up) and the rest is attached with industrial Velcro.   It formed to the fender nicely.  They come studded, plain, etc.

Might be what you are looking for...  Cool

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #8 - 04/02/15 at 17:38:12

EJID & Srotag,

Even Amazon shows the Mustang Fender Bib on their site. I am thinking that you probably have the Mustang Model #78030.

EJID,

That looks good. Your whole bike looks really good.

Is that the standard Suzuki solo seat you have, or is it something different?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #9 - 04/03/15 at 07:54:29

Thanks for the kind words...looking for old style cruiser look, fits with the old grey beard.  Cool

Seat is Yamaha 650 (04-08) comes in studded, or plain. Ebay about $40 if you watch.  Pretty easy to mod.   Very comfy can run a whole tank easily and not get off like you were riding a bronco.  Grin

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/07/24 at 21:10:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leveled out my seat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.