Send Topic Print
Bar End Mirrors (Read 136 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Bar End Mirrors
03/30/15 at 11:37:58

I need to get some mirrors on my bike. I purchased a pair of RYCA's $15 bar end mirrors, p/n RM-0248 (http://shop.rycamotors.com/bar_end_mirror.html) when they were on sale for just $12 each.

I've read that some have had some trouble with these mirrors. Is there anything that I need to know or do to make these mirrors work? Has anyone used different bar-end mirrors with success. I understand that these types of mirrors can be a challenge on a thumper.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Bar End Mirrors
Reply #1 - 03/30/15 at 11:59:31

For the last 2 years I have been using these Napolian bar end mirrors.  They work great, offer a lot of vision, and didn't seem to vibrate a lot except when under full throttle.  The fit 18mm-20mm ID bars, and can be just a bit finicky to get the mounts in...but work well after that and they stay put.  Not sure how they would fit in the 1" RYCA bars.  Price is around $ 34....this place has them listed a bit higher.  The only thing I don't like about them is they look a bit funky sticking up when you are not riding the bike.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/black-authentic-japanese-napoleon-style-bar-end...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/tbird/mirror/mirrors.htm

For this year I am going to try the Joker Machine bar end mirrors to clean up the look of the bike a bit.  The mirror area is small, about half what the Napoleon mirrors have.  The glass is convex so maybe when I get it outside the vision area will be similar.  The glass swivels in all directions....a few guys posting reviews evidently just didn't push hard enough left/right to see that they actually do swivel that direction - but I loosed the adjustment screw before I discovered it.  They look much more streamlined....not sure how well they work yet.

http://jokermachine.com/products/concealed-bar-end-mirrors-smooth.html

« Last Edit: 03/31/15 at 06:46:49 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #2 - 03/30/15 at 16:55:40

Hope they work for you.  They look just like my Emgo bar ends, but black.  I suggest you replace the inner expander fitting with rubber compression plug or washers and maybe a rubber disk or washer between the end of the handlebars and the mirror boss to further isolate them and reduce vibration.  You can also get black oxide round or button head bolts that look sleeker than the shiny hex bolt if you care.

I don't think these will fit into the stock bars with the welded plugs.  See my earlier bar end for stock bars post, and about vibration.  JMHO...

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 03/30/15 at 17:08:39

wakosama wrote on 03/30/15 at 16:55:40:
I don't think these will fit into the stock bars with the welded plugs.  See my earlier bar end for stock bars post, and about vibration.  JMHO...

Not using stock bars. Using one inch clip ons. But I will take your advice on replacing hardware and using some rubber washers. If the $24 Emgos don't work I'll have to splurge for something much more expensive.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 03/31/15 at 06:32:36

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/30/15 at 17:08:39:
wakosama wrote on 03/30/15 at 16:55:40:

Not using stock bars. Using one inch clip ons. But I will take your advice on replacing hardware and using some rubber washers. If the $24 Emgos don't work I'll have to splurge for something much more expensive.

Are your bars mounted to the trees or up on risers ?
You know you are going to get more vibe's on the tree vs risers.
Is your bar weighted ?
BB's reduce vibe's.
I've thought about the bar end type for a long time but just haven't tried them yet thinking vibration + the small mirror surface would make life difficult for already challenged aging eyes.
Dave's post though has me thinking again.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 03/31/15 at 07:03:29

My (unweighted) clip-ons are mounted directly to the fork tubes.

BB's reduce vibes? Do you mean to fill the tube with bb's?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 03/31/15 at 07:31:36

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/31/15 at 07:03:29:
My (unweighted) clip-ons are mounted directly to the fork tubes.

BB's reduce vibes? Do you mean to fill the tube with bb's?

Yes, fill the bar with BBs or lead shot pellets. Trick has been in use for a long time (at least the early 1970s in magazine write ups). Changes the bar harmonics. Sand works fine as well.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/31/15 at 08:10:36

recommended not to use lead shot as it will turn to toxic dust cloud if the genie get out of the bottle.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 04/03/15 at 08:43:44

Well the Emgo bar end mirrors suck. But that doesn't mean I didn't get them to "work".

As shipped, they are just not the right size for a 1-inch bar. I tried several methods to get the metal clips to compress. This one actually worked.

I kept every fastener that I removed from the bike. I have no idea where this part was originally used (someone will tell me within a post or two) but it works perfectly to properly compress the metal tabs on the bar ends. There were four of these in my hardware tray.

The ID of the bars is 0.75" and this little piece of whatever is 0.74". There is just enough screw length to make it all work. I'd say that the mirror mount was tight and compressed within 2 rotations.

Problem solved. Not really. The bar end mirrors wont rotate or fall off the bike, but the mirrors vibrate so much that all you can see is basic shapes. Weighted bars wont help these mirrors. They are vibrating at the cam-lock that is used to adjust the arm from vertical to horizontal.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #9 - 04/03/15 at 12:30:04

Those rotten tin clip things always come loose sooner or later. You can buy a high quality version of that emgo for a couple hundred that work 100% and last a lifetime. Here's a link to some bar ends I used successfully. http://m.ebay.com/itm/181466221383?nav=SEARCH
They're cheap but not really nasty. The bung on the end is pretty heavy and they lock down tight. A couple things: you need tools to adjust them and they suit 7/8 bars so you'd need to sleeve the bar somehow. I put them on a royal Enfield . It vibrates far more than a savage and the stock mirrors were useless. These give a really clear image. Whatever mirrors you get,don't put up with a blurry image: you want to have a quick look then get your eyes back on the road. Don't be wasting time trying to interpret some blob and having an accident. Good luck.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 04/03/15 at 13:22:20

While we're about mirrors,does anyone know of  a source for some small, really short stemmed metric thread mirrors to fit the stock mirror perch? Seen some nice ones for Harleys but they have a different mount system.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 13:42:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bar End Mirrors

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.