Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Getting back on the horse (Read 219 times)
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Getting back on the horse
03/13/15 at 04:12:22

I had a couple of issues with my S40.

For example, last season I found it really frightening to ride on the interstate because every time I crossed an angled seam in the pavement it made the bike fishtail or weave briefly in a scary way.  So I am reluctant to take it on road trips that involve interstates or freeways.  Is there anything I can do to make it handle better, like upgrade the shocks, maybe?

Also, getting it ready for the season, we noticed an oil leak, and our mechanic says it needs a head gasket, which is an expensive repair.  He said that this is a known issue with this model, and there is no way to prevent it.  Should I expect an expensive repair every year, then?

Finally, I injured my left hand last year and had to have a bone graft.  My hand is still sore and it hurts to pull the clutch in and hold it.  Are there other clutch options I can consider?

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Getting back on the horse
Reply #1 - 03/13/15 at 04:24:06

Tires are more an issue with "tramming"....the desire of the bike to follow pavement seams and irregular surfaces.  New tire designs have wavy tread grooves to help prevent this....straight grooves in the tires tend to follow pavement grooves. Tire pressure can affect this, as can irregular wear in tires.  You might be ready for a new set of tires.

The Savage does not blow head gaskets...it is a low compression engine and does not stress that area.  We have never seen a blown head gasket on this forum.  You most likely have a rubber head plug leak, which is very common.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1256079122

I can't think of any clutch options that would help on the Savage.  You might be able to bend the lever to reduce the reach a little bit - but the lever does need most of the available travel to function properly.  Maybe taking the clutch lever apart and cleaning and lubing the pivot bolt, and a thorough lubing of the clutch cable will help.  There are cable lubers you can buy that will force the lube down the cable, Oldfeller pokes a hole in a baggy and secures it to the top of the cable and puts oil in the baggy...then lets gravity flow the oil down the cable over a couple of days.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #2 - 03/13/15 at 04:54:06

Thanks.

Maybe I misunderstood the mechanic.  I thought he said gasket.  I will check with him.

If it is the head gasket, is it possible the previous owner did something that could have led to this issue?  It was outfitted as a drag bike when I bought it.  Do people ever use nitrous in these?

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/13/15 at 05:04:04

ihasabike wrote on 03/13/15 at 04:54:06:
Thanks.

Maybe I misunderstood the mechanic.  I thought he said gasket.  I will check with him.

If it is the head gasket, is it possible the previous owner did something that could have led to this issue?  It was outfitted as a drag bike when I bought it.  Do people ever use nitrous in these?

No reason to use Nitrous that I can see.  If they did use Nitrous.....the clutch and drive belt will give out long before the head gasket does.

If he keeps saying head gasket....you need to find someone that works on the Savage regularly and get a second opinion.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 03/13/15 at 05:11:17

Dave is 100% correct on tires and tram-lining. But I have another  thought on your uneasiness and how it can lead to spooky handling...

Be careful of the "death grip" while riding. The death grip happens when the rider gets tense or panics and normal inputs to the bars (for counter steering) and movement on the bike becomes restricted. A "frozen" rider will actually fight with the bike as it attempts to naturally traverse a varied surface.

If you are anticipating that crossing an angled seam in the road will create a spooky feeling, then I can almost guarantee that it will. Loosen up and just go with it. You'd be amazed at how well a bike handles without undue rider input.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 03/13/15 at 12:13:42

Your avatar pic shows a pretty new bike, Are you still on the original IRC tyres? When I first brought mine new the fish tailing, tramming scared me. A decent rear tyre solved the problem immediately, there will be plenty of advice here on good tyres. Most people here hold the IRC"s in low esteem.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 03/13/15 at 16:23:07

Stock tires will make the bike feel unstable at superslab speed as well as wrong tire pressure, you might want to look into a fork brace, it helped a lot on my '02. The head plug oil leak is common but no big deal, what year is your bike and how many miles on it?
 Watch out for the "death grip" on the handle bars, a gentle touch will make a big difference.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #7 - 03/13/15 at 22:04:46

The Tkat fork brace on my 2013 S40, with the original IRC tyres, really helped with the front end following the road rather than the grooves in the road.

Within a couple of week after  installing the Tkat I acquired an air compressor, between properly inflated tires and the fork brace the handling couldn't be better for this style motorcycle.

Kenny G            Smiley

IP Logged
atomikchicken
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/14/15 at 00:39:56

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/14/15 at 03:00:39

The internal clutch that atomikchicken listed is an interesting option.  It would require new handlebars (no big deal), as the stock bars have a big hunk of steel in each end to help reduce vibration in the handlebars.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/14/15 at 06:19:58

Stay AWAY from that mechanic..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #11 - 03/14/15 at 12:36:08

He confirmed it was the head gasket and when I told him what you guys said, he replied that he gets 3 or 4 head gasket jobs a year on this model.  He said it's the Texas heat, and people riding on the highway in high heat long distances with the throttle wide open, or sitting at long lights with the engine running.  He also said he puts some special lubricants on it to handle the heat better when he does them and he has never had a repeat.

It is a 2012 model with almost 3.5k miles on it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 03/14/15 at 14:34:56

Do a compression check?
Just exactly what are the symptoms?

The oil leak is common. He is right on that.. But I've been here long enough to see hundreds of new riders come and go.

I don't remember a single head gasket. I'm aware of 2 motors destroyed by dealerships.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #13 - 03/14/15 at 15:19:29

ihasabike wrote on 03/14/15 at 12:36:08:
He confirmed it was the head gasket and when I told him what you guys said, he replied that he gets 3 or 4 head gasket jobs a year on this model.

Do you know this mechanic well?  My initial thoughts are they do not know what they are taking about or they are full of crap looking for a reason to justify an expensive bill.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 03/14/15 at 15:40:12

3,500 miles,, blown head gasket,,, or, leaking head plug.

Which one is common?
How many times have we Stopped someone from paying for a head gasket job ?  At least 10..

Ever seen a blown head gasket on anything? If it's busted then the pressure of compression is going somewhere... you feel it? Hear it?

Oil Plug,, not head gasket,,  
You're about to get screwed,, and the mechanic may actually believe it has a bad head gasket,, but I don't believe that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:33:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Getting back on the horse

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.