Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Time for a almost complete engine rebuild (Read 114 times)
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Time for a almost complete engine rebuild
02/27/15 at 11:53:35

I've had my Savage for about 3.5 years. It was my first bike and I've put close to 25k miles on it. I bought a Ducati Monster at the beginning of the month and have only really ridden the Suzuki around the block a couple times since then. I don't know if it's always sucked this bad or if I'm just used to something a lot better now. But it's time the Savage gets some love. The clutch is garbage, so I'm thinking Barnett plates and springs. A full gasket set, new brakes, carb clean and new exhaust. The old one is stupid loud and should have been changed years ago. What else should I consider doing? Thanks for any help. I'm not too worried about cosmetics, the thing has been on its way to a rat bike since I got it. But I wanna getting back to running in tip top shape.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Time for a almost complete engine rebuild
Reply #1 - 02/27/15 at 12:59:06

I'd do a compression test prior to concluding that a rebuild is in order.

If you just want it running right, once you get the new muffler, spark plug and air filter, spend a half day with a few jets and get the carburetor dialed-in just right. That alone can make the difference between it being a garage queen or a rider.

Since it's a extra/play bike, maybe it's time to make it into something else?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/27/15 at 15:55:43

Gutless and stupid loud.
Open exhaust equals low torque and lean.
I'm guessing the performance has dropped over time,as the exhaust has slowly rotted away inside?

Yeah,check compression. If it's even close to okay, stick a Dyna muffler on and make sure that it's jetted right.

The cam chain tensioner is okay?
Valves adjusted?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #3 - 02/27/15 at 16:54:05

Yeah, if you didn't do Verslagen's cam chain tensionser, I would put that on top of the list.  

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #4 - 02/27/15 at 17:37:31

A new gasket set is OK if you are taking things apart to rebuild them. Don't take stuff apart just to put on a new gasket.  If if ain't leaking, leave it alone.

IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/27/15 at 18:31:33

The clutch is first on the list...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 02/28/15 at 00:33:23

Why? Have you run the wrong oils?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 02/28/15 at 08:45:39

Justin, this guy is just knee jerk reacting to what he perceives to be the problem.   Someone could simply tell him to go to the Tech section index

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

and READ the section on clutch

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1270678838/0

but this one has already ordered his gasket kits and Barnett clutch pack so he isn't going to take the time to read anything and realize it is all wasted money and that his issues may very well have other sources.  

The odds of getting him to stop, do a compression test and report what he sees are also nil, so he will never realize his engine isn't worn out either.   I can remember being at that age ....  and I did pretty much the same sort of knee jerk stuff.

However, we do try to guide them to the water and we actually do try to keep them from drinking the sand instead.

Both Gary in NJ and yourself have suggested he do things logically since the odds of his engine being worn out are practically nil and the odds of the pipe and the jetting being his real issues are really very high.

But he isn't really listening, so you did what you could do.

=========================

In reading his last 25 posts I find that he is young, he LIKES to work on his bikes and now that this is his spare bike he's a gonna tear it to pieces anyway because he wants to.

and I love one of his comments from an earlier question series about won't start ......

I dunno man. But how about some help instead?

OK, real help for you where you are right now.

For this one, simply remind him that the biggest reasonable performance boost come from the hot cam mated with the big high compression piston, but when you are all done you will have spent a lot of money to not quite get the performance level that comes stock from a lot of two cylinder bikes of various brand names.   A questionable benefit for a lot of money, in other words.   And your gas mileage will likely suck, BTW ..... bad.   (extra gas makes extra power after all, and those hot cams are not efficient cams)

To go beyond that, go nitrous.  Nitrous is the cheapest way to get a really large performance gain without killing your gas mileage otherwise ---  but it turns the bike into a short lived hand grenade if you get excessive.   Then he really will need the Barnett clutch pack to handle the increase in hp when he hits his button.

Neat thing is the piston/compression ratio he has now is the right one for nitrous work and he can go do nitrous for a bit and impress all his buddies and THEN tear his engine down for a real reason.

« Last Edit: 02/28/15 at 19:49:44 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 02/28/15 at 10:34:27

ezornes239 wrote on 02/27/15 at 11:53:35:
I've had my Savage for about 3.5 years. It was my first bike and I've put close to 25k miles on it. I bought a Ducati Monster at the beginning of the month and have only really ridden the Suzuki around the block a couple times since then. I don't know if it's always sucked this bad or if I'm just used to something a lot better now. But it's time the Savage gets some love. The clutch is garbage, so I'm thinking Barnett plates and springs. A full gasket set, new brakes, carb clean and new exhaust. The old one is stupid loud and should have been changed years ago. What else should I consider doing? Thanks for any help. I'm not too worried about cosmetics, the thing has been on its way to a rat bike since I got it. But I wanna getting back to running in tip top shape.

maybe you're just a Ducati kinda guy?
you will never make a Savage the equivalent of a Monster
a Cafe kit might get you to Monster Lite, but that's about it

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 02/28/15 at 14:07:52

And if the clutch springs are stouter, get ready for blowing up the throwout, as it is just sintered metal.. I shimmed my springs, less than 1/8th",and mine broke.  Others have broken, everything stock. If you mess around with the springs, better get a throwout machined from one piece.

You're in the right place for getting THE best advice on how to get the best performance possible for the least money and time invested.The degree to go to HotRodding these things has been explored. If you're just determined to go digging into it, then everyone I know here will be waiting to see how it goes. I'd start with just seeing how good it Will run before you start fixing it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:23:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Time for a almost complete engine rebuild

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.