Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Won't run in Neutral with the kickstart down (Read 120 times)
TheNewBee1
YaBB Newbies

Just Roll

Maastricht, the Netherlands
Won't run in Neutral with the kickstart down
02/24/15 at 01:01:11

Like the title says my ls650 won't run in neutral with the kickstand down. The neutral-light doesn't go on either. I've bought the bike like this and I would like to get is fixed.

The mechanic from the shop told me it was due to false whiring. How do I fix this?

Some pictures and/or video would be nice since I am not a real technical guy. Sad

Sorry for the bad english, I am dutch and trying to make my bike roll as good as possible Smiley

English is not my native tong, so sorry for the grammar :/
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Won't run in Neutral with the kickstart down
Reply #1 - 02/24/15 at 02:46:45

The neutral wire enters the engine on the right side. It's a single wire. If memory serves, it's blue. That should be a short to ground when it's in neutral, I THINK. For all I know a blown out bulb will cause that problem.
Welcome to the board. We have Russian and Chinese members,too. That so many speak enough English to be able to use this site is amazing..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/24/15 at 03:20:23

JOG is correct, the blue wire has a connector up under the fuel tank, and then travels down to the right side of the engine and enter at the bottom of the clutch cover.  The neutral switch is a ground, and if you lower the kick stand with the engine in gear the engine spark is switched off to prevent you from riding away in gear.  You need to confirm the blue wire provides a grounded circuit when the bike is in neutral.  Disconnect the blue wire under the tank and confirm the switch (and wire) is functioning properly to provide a ground.  The system will still work if the neutral bulb is burned out.

Here is the link to the wiring diagrams in the technical section.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294779818

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 02/24/15 at 06:19:37

New Bee, Unless I've forgotten how it works, I would guess that the blue wire under the tank is ALREADY disconnected. Dave and Justin are correct about troubleshooting, but if I read right the bike runs okay in gear. Anyway, the blue wire and anything it connects to is the place to start.
Also, if you can get a Clymer's Repair Manual (M384-4 for years 1986 to 2007) the photos alone are worth the price. Keep the questions coming. It gets dull around here without problems to solve.
Your English is fine. Glad to have you on an American site dedicated to a Japanese Motorcycle.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 02/24/15 at 07:17:40

And if it's not the blue wire, then check the diode on the harness somewhere between the carb and coil.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 02/24/15 at 09:05:33

For a clymers manual online.... someone from the forum posted this...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1422728220

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
TheNewBee1
YaBB Newbies

Just Roll

Maastricht, the Netherlands
Reply #6 - 02/26/15 at 00:13:07

Thanks you guys! I am going to give it a go this afternoon. Will keep you posted on how it is working out. You've been a great help so far (much more than the dutch forum, they told me to just cut the blue wire :/ )

Since I haven't located the blue wire jet I just downloaded the clymers guide and hoping to figure it out.

Hope to be back with some good news soon!

English is not my native tong, so sorry for the grammar :/
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/26/15 at 00:18:38

The wire enters the clutch cover, at the bottom, near the oil window.

« Last Edit: 02/26/15 at 03:05:48 by Dave »  

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:23:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Won't run in Neutral with the kickstart down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.