Send Topic Print
Rake and Trail (Read 386 times)
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Re: Rake and Trail
Reply #15 - 02/17/15 at 09:53:35

Unless of course; I don't touch this bike.  Sell it, and start from scratch with another donor bike.

Thats always possible.  If I do that, I have a blank slate.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 02/17/15 at 10:03:12

Swing69:

I know you are going stir crazy up there with all the snow....but slow down a bit on this bike and don't be in too big of a hurry to cut it up.  You just got the bike, I haven't seen anything that indicates you have been able to ride it yet to know how it handles.  It looks like you could spend a day or two fixing up the bike to get it on the road, and then have a full summer of riding to learn what you like and dislike about the bike.  
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1422756049/0

It will run all summer on the belt no problem...then you can decide if you want the chain (Going to a chain will require you to modify the footpeg bracket for clearance).
http://shop.rycamotors.com/chain_conversion_kit.html

And cutting and shortening the swing arm....not a good idea...but that also is another project for another year if you decide you have to do that to get the look and ride you want.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1422924199/0#0

And cutting the frame and changing the rake and trail.....you really need to spend some time in the saddle before you decide you have to do this.  My bike may turn a bit stiffly when entering a corner - but I can tell you I have learned to appreciate that stability when traveling down the divided highway at 70mph and passing semi trucks.  The stock RYCA does not handle poorly - they are fun to ride and more nimble than the Savage in the stock form......although they are not a sport bike and will never handle like one.  They ride much like the 60's bikes that the Cafe' bikes were originally built from....and that is just fine with me.  With Gary's help we may be able to learn how to optimize the forks and shocks for a better ride and handling....without cutting anything up!  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #17 - 02/17/15 at 12:27:26

Hey Dave,

I think out loud,  forum fun really.  Nice to get input from others.

I can tell you that the Swing arm cut isn't necessary, the wheelbase is fine.  The rake and trail is what gives a visual "key" that there will be a riding problem.

I don't need to ride it to tell that it will turn slow, better than a stock S40, which I have ridden....but still, slow.  

I've easily owned, ridden over 100 different bikes.  Mid 50s, to mid 2000s.  currently own maybe 9 (depending on how you count carcasses)   I've built several hybrids, different engine, forks, mods...you name it.

Over analyze? yup.  leave well enough alone, not usually,  ruin stuff?  sometimes. Have fun, all the time!   Cheesy

Here is a Benelli Mojave, Honda powered that  is a daily driver for me.

small.JPG
  IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #18 - 02/17/15 at 12:32:28

commando powered featherbed Norton?  built that.  rebel engined triumph 250, built one.  Lifan powered "Fox" minibike? yup.

As you can see; I have a mental issue and usually don't leave much "as built".  I enjoy modifying stuff.

Another addition?  mechanical anti-dive front end linkage for the Ryca?   Thinking about that!

nsmall.JPG
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 02/17/15 at 12:54:13

Nice shop,.. mine's a glorified shed... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #20 - 02/17/15 at 14:48:24

I wish it were mine too!  that's my work shop.  My home is just reg. 2 car with a shed.  Carcasses are rolled into the basement for surgery.

Some stuff winds up at "work".   depending on what needs to be done in a short time frame.   Still,  yes....nice to have space.

IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #21 - 02/18/15 at 14:02:31

RYCA in the Market place.    You guys can make the decision for me.

If it sells,  I will cut up a "new" donor rather than a Ryca.
If it doesn't.....the Ryca will be "finished"  Pun intended???  lol

Partial trade accepted for a stocker, or ever a abandoned project as long as its a good running lower mileage machine with title.  see the ad.

Pm if interested Cheesy Cheesy

sav4.jpg
  IP Logged
mogman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC USA
Reply #22 - 02/21/15 at 18:37:41

Regarding post #11....A Ducati 900 Supersport has a 24 degree rake and 3.0 inch trail. The Buell XB9S and XB9R are what I ride on and off track, are at first scary but turn in fast and are able to apply speed coming off the apex allowing the rider to actually run up the inside and add power exiting the turn. The cafe (pictured) is 24 degrees and 3.1 trail as shown and will be stripped of anything I can throw in the bin.

I got the bike as an orphaned $800 bobber and set Mike to work on it for the fork rebuild (-2") and the rough in of the steering tubes. An expert jig weld guy named Rob did the rework of the neck without separating it from the backbone. Video running after the forks were dropped.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-oejcNmeuc&feature=youtu.be

If and when one gets use to such a Buell rake structure, the track day gets most  interesting. For now I am at a stop on the Savage to consider the foot pegs for my 170 pound, 6'-3" body and some easy tank mods. This is not to be a show bike but instead as simple a bolt-up job anyone can make (except jig-weld neck). It will be fuggly and built for the track. Oh, on the Buell 52" wheelbase, 21 degree rake, 3.3" trail I have run 135 mph without a steering damper and no head shake. Shocked    

Cafe_Study_copy1.jpeg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:24:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rake and Trail

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.