Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I've been scammed or cheated. (Read 302 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
I've been scammed or cheated.
02/06/15 at 11:25:02

I have had great luck with everyone on this forum, the ST forum, and a few folks on the Ninja 250 Riders Club.  However....a young fellow on the Ninja site has apparently taken me for $ 75.  He listed some engine parts for sale, I bought a cylinder head with shipping from him and sent the money through PayPal just as he requested....and unfortunately I sent the money as a "gift".  I have purchased a lot of stuff from Forum folks this way without problems - but evidently not this time.

This fellow was very nice by email, and he even gave me his cell phone number and was perfectly willing to talk about the parts I needed.  In one email he even sent a photo of the cylinder head all packaged up and ready to ship.

However - he never did send the cylinder head and 4 months have passed by.  Because I sent the money as a "gift"....I can't file a complaint through PayPal.  The fellow has stopped answering my emails, he no longer accepts my calls to his phone...and since the phone directs me to his voice mail with only a single ring...I suspect he is blocking my calls.  I sent him letters to the addresses I found on the internet, and he has moved without a forwarding address.  I sent a message to him on Facebook - and he evidently has blocked me there as his page will no longer show up if I do a search for him on Facebook.  The man is 26 years old - but in my last ditch effort I sent a letter to the man's parents and I have asked them for their help.  They seem like straight forward honest folks from what I can see on their Facebook pages - they evidently have an adult son that has a problem with honesty.

So...my advice to you is although it may cost the seller 3% in PayPal fees, always send money to the seller for items being purchased - never as a gift.  PayPal will follow through when you file a complaint for goods that were never sent or sent damaged - but never for gifts to "friends and family".

So...anybody have an idea how I file charges against this man?  Since it was done on the internet, and he lives in Ohio and I am in Kentucky....I have no idea where I would even begin to file a report.  I also don't know that $ 75 is worth filing a report....I am sure it is a misdemeanor - but if this guy is a thief I want there to be some record of it with the proper authorities.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: I've been scammed or cheated.
Reply #1 - 02/06/15 at 11:47:26

I would suspect that it's mail fraud.
he was supposed to send the parts by mail but didn't.
contact the post master.

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 02/06/15 at 11:53:37

I don't think so, no actual mailing involved
I might be wrong though
unfortunately most of my ways of dealing with such persons aren't strictly legal

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #3 - 02/06/15 at 12:03:05

Dave ,do you have recourse thru your credit card? Some times you do.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #4 - 02/06/15 at 12:03:47

A few years back I ordered an aftermarket seat for my Explorer from a guy.  Had good contact on the phone, etc.  He said that due to credit card fees he could give me a discount if I paid by check.  Like a dummy I did.  Seat never came, he made excuse after excuse, he's sick, daughter's sick, etc.  

I called the local sheriff's office, they were actually very helpful, went to his ostensible place of business, etc.  They filed charges but I was unable to travel from Pa to Georgia to testify so the case was dropped.  

About the only satisfaction I got was going on "ripoff report.com" every few months and posting a warning.  

Last time I checked up on him, I found an obituary.  It said he was a fine Christian businessman, but I suspect he's in hell.   Undecided

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/06/15 at 12:29:10

Well I know this kid is still alive....he posted a comment on his Facebook page about doing a "good deed" everyday.....he certainly didn't follow through on that with me.  He also took action to block me out of his Facebook page in the last couple of days....so no one has broken his fingers yet.

At this point I believe the kid is a "flake"...26 years old, and hasn't grown up and taken any responsibility yet for his actions.  I don't know if he has any criminal record yet.

I am not sure who handles the complaints when the internet is the source of the theft........I will call the local Police Department and see what they have to offer.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/06/15 at 12:32:57

rl153 wrote on 02/06/15 at 12:03:05:
Dave ,do you have recourse thru your credit card? Some times you do.

Nope....the PayPal account is linked to my bank checking account.  No Credit Card is involved.

I have had such good luck with all the Motorcycle Forum folks....I got sloppy.  I have emails that confirm our agreement - but nothing that requires or allows PayPal to intervene.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 02/06/15 at 16:06:16

Sorry to hear, Dave, and been close to sweating it out myself when I bought my Savage.  Owner had a couple of payments to get clear title and I held back some payment for the clear title and took the bike.  Took 3 months to get the title during which time he changed his cell number. luckily I had the BOA information on his payoff as proof of his selling agreement and I called them only to find that they completely screwed up the title and it was their fault.  Turns out the seller was honest about everything, somewhat of a stoner, and just not a good communicator. I finally got his new cell after going after his wife via ebay contact information. He wasn't ditching me, just switched to "vonage" and got new numbers and didn't bother to update me.

Got my title and all is well. I took the risk on a good deal and got lucky. Will never buy again without title in hand.

Lastly, and seriously, what about engaging some of your www.suzukisavage.com buddies in the area to do a drive by for you?  Maybe to his supposed residence or a knock on his parents door to politely shake things up a bit?  As long as no threats are made, a polite inquiry isn't against the law and will let the squirrel know he's not as out of reach as he thought.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 02/06/15 at 16:21:30

Stew makes a good point.. This place is a lot like one big living room where we all gather to visit.. Long as no one gets to being a real jerk..

I wonder if he didn't sell the same parts to several people..
It'd be interesting if you could do some digging around in the forums where you found this guy and"bought" stuff from him and found others who have been done wrong.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/06/15 at 16:31:37

I sent a message to the Moderator of the Classified section at the Ninja 250 riders club, and got no response yet.  This fellow's listing expired and he has not been back on the site since.  Just about the same time he had some of the parts listed in eBay, and has 73 positive comments and one negative where a buyer did not get the rocker arm he paid for.

At this point, I have no current address for him in Columbus.  He was living in an apartment building and I sent a letter with "Delivery Confirmation", and it came back.  I will see what his parents do with the letter I sent, they have my address, phone number and email address - so if I don't hear anything I will believe they either don't care that there son is a cheat - or they know he is and cannot do anything about it.

IP Logged
AlfromNH
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 02/06/15 at 16:59:45

I was selling a C50 seat on the volusiariders forum and asked the buyer to make payment as a gift. He didn't know me and wanted to make it as a payment for goods. I told him I was fine with that but I upped the price to cover paypal fees and he had no problem with that. I could understand his point but I was giving him a smokin deal to begin with so I didn't want to pay the fees. So if it was me doing the buying, I would rather pay a few more bucks and make the payment for goods instead of gift so I would be covered just in case. And if the seller didn't want to do it that way, I would be suspicious and back out of the deal. Doesn't really help you with your current situation though.
Just my .02

AL

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 02/06/15 at 17:03:41

Al, I agree.....and this may very well must be a $ 75 lesson.  I have gone to some seminars that cost far more.....and learned a lot less.

So.....when using PayPal - always pay for "GOODS", and don't sent a gift.

I am also starting to believe that if this boys parents can't/won't convince him to be honest and either send me the cylinder head or a refund....I probably should just drop it and get on with my peaceful life.  This kid is obviously screwed up.....and maybe Karma will deal with him.  He knows where I work and can easily find out where I live....and I have a lot more to lose than $ 75 if he is unstable enough to come and take out his aggression on my wife, property or me.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #12 - 02/06/15 at 17:34:18

Another reason,  NOT  to use,  Pirate Pay !

Good old, U/S Postal Money Order.
NOW, you have recourse, against a 'scam-er'.

Sounds like you may be  S.O.L.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 02/06/15 at 19:29:47

MnSpring wrote on 02/06/15 at 17:34:18:
Good old, U/S Postal Money Order.
NOW, you have recourse

once the money order is cashed, how is there recourse? because it has to be mailed and you have a legit name and address?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
WillD
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/06/15 at 21:08:46

My brother had a similar situation, Dave he contacted the local authorities, who tracked him down and formally charged him with theft. My brother agreed to drop the charges if reimbursed in full which he was in payments over 6 months. It was for a computer processor worth 500.00 USD. Sorry to hear about it some people are just crooks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:23:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › I've been scammed or cheated.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.