Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Take this job and shove it (Read 116 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Take this job and shove it
02/06/15 at 16:19:23

This is probably a long shot and not really the place for it, but any of you folks do business in the project management, software development, database management, IT, business development/management arena?

As my profile notes, I am in Auburn AL and I have no plans of relocating, but my j-o-b is perceivably taking a turn for the worse in very short time and I need to look out for #1 (and #1s family) and move on to bigger and better things.

Doing a little hunting and networking locally in hopes that something comes to fruition soon, but if anyone has any leads on professional level jobs that allow telecommuting (working from home with some travel) or have any affiliation with companies with tentacles that reach out this direction I'd appreciate any potential leads you can throw my way.  I have of course scoured local job boards and the typical monster, careerbuilder, etc.  Open to working with a headhunter or recruiter.

Be happy to share my credentials with anyone that has interest or wishes to pass it along to any potential leads.  Just PM me and we can discuss.

Thanks folks, and my apologies in advance if this comes off as crazy.  The way I see it, you just never know who's listening and what connections people have...so what the heck.

Wink

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Take this job and shove it
Reply #1 - 02/06/15 at 18:06:38

Good luck. I've gotten some nice jobs from being in the right place, right time kind of thing.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 02/06/15 at 18:51:17

gizzo wrote on 02/06/15 at 18:06:38:
Good luck. I've gotten some nice jobs from being in the right place, right time kind of thing.

I will, however, relocate to Australia.  Cool Cool Cool

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 02/07/15 at 00:37:59

You'd be welcome. Wink

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 02/08/15 at 04:48:35

I have a friend who works for East Carolina University in the IT department, he will occasionally post to his Facebook page a link that they are looking for something or the other in that department. I am not really smart enough to know what they are looking for, but I'll gladly give him your contact info. Of course that would most likely require you to move, which I know you said you were not real interested in, eastern North Carolina is not Australia, but it ain't bad, either.

That';s the best I got.  Huh

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 02/08/15 at 06:35:27

thanks, prechermike.  i definitely need to stay here in a-la-bam-a. wife has a business here.  my background is business and systems development along with project management in the technical arena. I'm not a programmer. when i get to the other computer I'll pass my info along just for arguments sake.

thanks!

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 02/08/15 at 09:39:03

I am NOT in the job market and have not been in almost 20 years, So, what I am going to say may be laughable, but, I see jobs as just one tiny shade short of sacred,,so, I'll try to help.

I'd check with the Chamber of Commerce and find out what companies exist in the area who MIGHT be able to use your skills.
Ask them about any upcoming job fairs.
Go to the colleges around,ask if they have had any head hunters sniffing around for recent grads,,
I'm still so old school that I , my gut, would want to be AT the place I wanted to get a job, Monday morning, looking rested, dressed appropriately, but, today's reality just seems to be, go online fill out a form, fax a resume, NO ONE SEES you and gets a hint about WHO you are,,
I don't agree with that,at all.

ONCE I saw an ad for Apprentice at a machine shop.. Man, I WANTED that job. I went in to get the application, the boss was out, I filled it out and watched 10 or 12 come and take applications with them, while I waited for the boss to get back... The foreman told him something along the lines of

I think that guy really wants the job, he has been waiting several hours for you to get back..

He interviewed me,, I reported for work the next day.

I used to get roughneck jobs by packing up my work clothes and going to a little store/gas station where drillers were known to stop in, get gas, water, ice for the cooler, roughnecks could buy breakfast burritos and stuff to make the day on the rig better, and, I'd be there about 4:00 AM. I'd be in a car, headed out to a rig in 2 hours or headed home.. sometimes, I d ONLY get a days work, sometimes, I d get the guys job,, but that was in the late 70's
and I don't think it works that way now...and that's a danged shame.

Best regards, JoG.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 02/08/15 at 23:12:21

There's rather a lot in what JOG 2 says, particularly if you don't want to relocate. You don't know what some comparatively crap job may bring in the way of useful contacts, or even opportunity  or new horizons. If worst comes to worst and you are made redundant or terminated, don't worry about professional status, take what you can grudgingly tolerate and work on developments from there. At least you will have money coming in. At worst you won't be pacing the floor all day.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 02/11/15 at 05:53:15

Thanks for the feedback.  I did get laid off back during the 'recession' so I know the feeling. Took me a few months but I got over it.  I took a few odd jobs to bring in some cash and an never beyond any job. Work is work!

I am continuing to network via various opportunities and hope that it gets me in the right place at the right time.  I'm not worried about termination, rather just see bad business practices slowly bringing things to a head and the potential for some big contracts to be canceled/not renewed (not at my doings) which will mean we will run out of legitimate work to do.

One way or another Wink, I'll keep on keeping on.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:20:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Take this job and shove it

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.