Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
No oil and wont idle. I'm not in a good mood! (Read 270 times)
Sterns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Milford, CT
No oil and wont idle. I'm not in a good mood!
02/01/15 at 12:48:47

Went to start the bike and got running with the choke for about 30 seconds, then it died.  Tried starting it and time after time, no luck.  I got it to run with the throttle pinned back a little, but once I let go it dies.  I checked the oil and there was absolutely no oil in the glass window.  I filled it up with whatever I had in the garage and I tried starting it again and still the same results.  I should kick myself in the ass about not checking the oil at the dealership, but I took their word that the maintenance service was done, like they said.  When I held the throttle, I didn't hear any funny noises, so thats a good sign.  I did see some smoke from the front of the engine, but that could of been from the oil that dripped on the exhaust.  Tank has plenty of gas and I switched the petcock to reserve and no difference.  I took a video, but I don't know how to post it.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: No oil and wont idle. I'm not in a good mood!
Reply #1 - 02/01/15 at 13:14:22

Can you elaborate what the engine went through or the length of time without oil?  How much oil did it need to fill up half the glass.  

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 02/01/15 at 13:28:45

Was the bike on the sidestand when you checked the oil window? Oil is supposed to be checked with the bike held straight up. Might be OK. If you filled up the window with the bike leaned over on the sidestand it's likely a bit overfilled now.

If you have a stock petcock turn it to "Prime" and see what happens. A malfunctioning vacuum petcock won't work in "reserve" either.

What service did you have done at the dealer?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/01/15 at 13:51:07

oldNslow wrote on 02/01/15 at 13:28:45:
Was the bike on the sidestand when you checked the oil window? Oil is supposed to be checked with the bike held straight up. Might be OK. If you filled up the window with the bike leaned over on the sidestand it's likely a bit overfilled now.-correct-v1

If you have a stock petcock turn it to "Prime" and see what happens. A malfunctioning vacuum petcock won't work in "reserve" either.-correct, pull the lever towards you-v1

If you don't have an owners manual, download a copy out of the tech section, you find a link to the index below.

WWW   IP Logged
Sterns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Milford, CT
Reply #4 - 02/01/15 at 17:55:11

The bike wasnt on the stand when i checked the oil, I had it perfectly level.  I didn't really pay attention to how much oil I put in, I just filled it until the level had risen in the window. If i had to guess, i'd say about .5 - .75 quarts.  I ran the bike for a few minutes before I bought it and then maybe another 30-60 seconds after I bought it.  The service thing im talking about is the fee that the dealer charged me to get it "ready" for sale, inspection, oil change, etc for $495.  So does this mean I'm entitled to a refund in the service fee?  Probably wishful thinking, but I'm definitely going to give them a call tomorrow.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/01/15 at 19:38:59

If the oil turned black immediately, then they probably didn't change the oil.

any "new" oil is probably not good for the savage.
we like old school oil, plenty of zinc and phosphorous (ZDDP)
We favor rotella T or T6 if you like synthetic.

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 02/01/15 at 19:59:09

Quote:
The service thing im talking about is the fee that the dealer charged me to get it "ready" for sale, inspection, oil change, etc for $495.  So does this mean I'm entitled to a refund in the service fee?  Probably wishful thinking, but I'm definitely going to give them a call tomorrow.

I'd definitely call them and see what they have to say about the oil level being a 1/2 quart or so low after they supposedly changed it, and the fact that the bike won't run even though it was was prepped by them for sale, but I'd be a little leery about letting them touch the bike again unless I was satisfied with their response.

I gather from your post that you haven't actually ridden the bike yet, just heard it run for a short time. Is that correct? I'm kind of at a loss to offer more advice without more info.
Tell us how old the bike is, how many miles are on it, and what kind of dealership you're working with.

IP Logged
Sterns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Milford, CT
Reply #7 - 02/01/15 at 20:07:31

I did ride it. I bought it at a harley dealer and got it up to third gear on their testing grounds. It started right up and ran fine. I bought it a week ago. 1996 11k. I just ordered the raptor petcock and I'll see if that helps.

IP Logged
Sterns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Milford, CT
Reply #8 - 02/01/15 at 20:27:57

Here's a short video I took

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B-BToqEM4pM

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 02/01/15 at 20:36:41

check the air filter, white or dirty?
I know you didn't get it to run, but if that was idle it was too low.

check the vac line for gas in it or old and cracked.
if it's the original with the wire wrap, most likely old and cracked.
you'll need to run it on prime till you get the raptorcock.

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #10 - 02/01/15 at 21:03:17

Sterns wrote on 02/01/15 at 20:07:31:
I did ride it. I bought it at a harley dealer and got it up to third gear on their testing grounds. It started right up and ran fine. I bought it a week ago. 1996 11k. I just ordered the raptor petcock and I'll see if that helps.

When your raptor pet comes in you'll need to get a little rubber cap to cover where the vacuum hose attaches to the carburetor.  You can get some at the auto store for a couple bucks. Swapping out the pet is pretty easy.   If I were you I would change the oil filter and put in Shell Rotella as V1 already mentioned.  Bookmark the technical page from the site here and browse through there.  A lot of good info can be found.  

Best regards,

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 02/02/15 at 01:42:59

Are you pushing the choke all the way in as soon as it fires?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 02/02/15 at 10:04:56

A Harley shop may have included a "custom" idle adjustment... setting the idle speed way too low in order to get a more Harley sound...
Undecided...

Make sure your idle speed is set so that the engine runs at a smooth, steady purr... not a loping, chug... (it ain't a Harley... matter of fact, Harley's ain't even Harley's, 'they will self destruct with a too low idle as well)...

Start the bike with choke,.. run it for a few minutes to warm up,.. then adjust the off-choke idle speed with the kurled screw near the choke knob, until it will idle smoothly...
Too low an idle will ruin your cam journals and tappets...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Sterns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Milford, CT
Reply #13 - 02/02/15 at 10:07:42

The choke was on every time I tried to start it, including the video. I will check the vac line and adjust the idle.  I just finished shoveling my driveway and I'm kaput, so I'll do that tomorrow.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #14 - 02/02/15 at 15:15:55

Serowbot wrote on 02/02/15 at 10:04:56:
A Harley shop may have included a "custom" idle adjustment... setting the idle speed way too low in order to get a more Harley sound...

Interesting point, your probably right.    Undecided

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:12:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No oil and wont idle. I'm not in a good mood!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.