Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Carb work - suggestions (Read 321 times)
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Carb work - suggestions
02/01/15 at 12:33:43

Hey guys,

I have reviewed the threads on the carb work.  I have hit 3 issues I'm hoping to get help with.

1 -  I can't remove the main jet.  The bolt on the end removes but tapping and even pulling with a cable won't remove it.

2 - the float bowl pin won't come out.  I halve tried tapping it with a driver on the end and pliers on the head end.  Still can't get that out.  So I can't check out the valve and pin inside.

3 - the a/f screws head looks like it was stripped from the mechanic visit.  This might be the source of my problems.

image_201.jpg
  IP Logged
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Re: Carb work - suggestions
Reply #1 - 02/01/15 at 12:36:45

A/f screw

image_202.jpg
  IP Logged
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Reply #2 - 02/01/15 at 12:43:13

Float bowl pin

image_203.jpg
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/01/15 at 13:34:06

Not sure I'm understanding,.. but I think the "bolt on the end"?... is the main jet...
(don't know what cable you are pulling)... Undecided...

Can't help you get the float pin out, other than to say it does come out,... and do not break the posts that hold it else you'll be buying a  new carb...
Same with the a/f screw...

You may want to have an experienced mechanic look at it...   Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 02/01/15 at 13:45:50

Tannermac wrote on 02/01/15 at 12:33:43:
1 -  I can't remove the main jet.  The bolt on the end removes but tapping and even pulling with a cable won't remove it.

silly newb, you took the main jet out, the threaded hole is the needle jet.  not easy to take out, generally, I leave it in.
Quote:
2 - the float bowl pin won't come out.  I halve tried tapping it with a driver on the end and pliers on the head end.  Still can't get that out.  So I can't check out the valve and pin inside.

becareful, those posts will snap off.  support and tap with a pin punch.
Quote:
3 - the a/f screws head looks like it was stripped from the mechanic visit.  This might be the source of my problems.

brass is soft, doesn't take much to chew up the slot like that.  if it was driven down too hard, it will stick, have a light touch when turning it closed.

WWW   IP Logged
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Reply #5 - 02/01/15 at 13:56:01

Yes indeed this is my first time ever working on a carb.  Sorry for my ignorance.

1 - Ok, I thought it was supposed to slide out so you can check all the holes on it. ( I put a wire cable through it and was trying to pull it out.)

2 - Im sure its not crucial for me to remove the floats and clean the float needle at this point but just thought I would ask in case someone else has dealt with this already.  

3 - Ill take it in to a mechanic and see if they can get it out.  It looks like its past the threading it goes into.  I am looking for a replacement screw online but haven't hand any luck yet.  Does anyone know what the part number would be for the A/F screw?

Thanks for the help guys!

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #6 - 02/01/15 at 14:08:04

1) Knowing how to work on this carb is a valuable skill for LS650 owners, stay with it.

2) Here's a well written tutorial on this carb:
http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_BS-CV_Carburetor_Rebuild_Tutori...

3) There are certain parts of this carb that are expensive to replace. Look up the prices on those those parts so you can know where to  take extra care with those parts so you don't break them (examples: slide, carb body and bowl).

4) Death, taxes, and screw extraction.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/01/15 at 18:21:16

You removed the main jet.....the part you are trying remove is the jet needle - it get pushed upwards to remove it.  Make sure when you put the main jet back in that you also put the washer on it....the washer is what hold the needle jet in the "down" position.

Have someone help you get the idle mixture screw out - if it get stuck or goobered up...the carb is junk.  If you do get it out and the new one is tight - use a 6x0.50 tap to clean up the corroded threads in the carb body before putting in the new screw.  (The new screw should turn in easily).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/02/15 at 11:51:23

The pin that holds the floats in place has a head on one end and splines on the other. Be sure you are tapping on the headless end. I would lay the carb on its' side, soak the headless end of the pin with Kroil, put it under a Tensor lamp or other heat lamp over night - just get it warm, not too hot or the heat could ignite gas fumes. Tap gently with a pin punch while supporting the flange as others have suggested. If it still won't come out, heat the flanges with a soldering gun to expand the flanges and  again tap gently. If you break the flange, the carb is toast. Kroil is great stuff (Wal-mart, gun shops). You may have to soak it a few times to get it to budge. Patience is paramount - new or used carbs aren't cheap. Good luck!

IP Logged
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Reply #9 - 03/09/15 at 17:58:08

Well I finally got the A/F screw replaced and the carb back installed.

I have a few more things to finalize before putting oil in and giving her a test.  Will have it running before the end of the week.

My only question would be A/F screw placement.  Do you have any specified positioning for this.  All the way CW two full CCW ?  Or is it more of a test and tune kind of thing?

Cheers!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 03/10/15 at 03:20:44

Tannermac wrote on 03/09/15 at 17:58:08:
My only question would be A/F screw placement.  Do you have any specified positioning for this.  All the way CW two full CCW ?  Or is it more of a test and tune kind of thing?

Although a starting point can be given for the A/F screw - it is something that has to be adjusted for each bike.  The altitude, pilot jet and other factors make this screw something that has to be adjusted for each bike.  Start at 1.5 turns out from lightly seated....and do what the fellow in this video suggests.  Then when you are riding....you might fiddle with it 1/4 each way and see if it makes any difference.  If the maximum rpm/smoothness is achieved at settings less than 1 turn out....install a smaller pilot jet - the the maximum rpm/smoothness occurs at more then 2.5 turns out....install a larger pilot jet.  Your idle needs to be a bit low for setting this screw, turn the idle speed back up over 1,000 rpm after you have set the mixture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm5mB3R8Ucw

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 03/10/15 at 03:28:04

Pocket driver, city traffic, minute adjustments at the inevitable red light,, adjustment made in operating conditions..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Reply #12 - 03/21/15 at 17:16:07

Sounds good.  

How do you guys measure the RPM?  Being there is no RPM gauge its a bit hard to judge when it wont even start.

I have everything back on and she wont start.   I am not 100% sure about the idle screw as the carb was removed and they turned it way up at the crappy shop I went to.

Now
- The carb has been taken apart cleaned up and a new A/F screw put in and I have tweaked it as suggested.
- New spark plug
- New Air filter
- New high octane gas
- Battery charged and on a tender
- Idle screw set to the obvious wear line
- Choke in and out (wont change it starting)
- New Oil (after winterizing - Emptied oil, gas, removed petcock cleaned, sanded petcock mounting area as it was leaking gas before
- Tried Petcock "on" and on "PRI"
- Removed fuel lines and filter cleaned and replaced
-

All I get from her is a low level woof, like she wants to start but something needs tweaking.  I took a video I will try to upload later and link.

I dont know if anyone on the board lives on Vancouver Island but I am thinking she just needs some experienced petting.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #13 - 03/21/15 at 17:31:42

Turn the fuel petcock to PRIME and loosen the fuel hose at the carburetor and see if any fuel flows.

If you have fuel flowing try to start it again.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Gary in NJ
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/21/15 at 17:54:00

Is the sparkplug cap fully seated?

When you installed the a/f screw did you go past the initial resistance the happens as the o-ring moves through the chamber. I'd guess that it takes a good 20 turns to get the screw all the way until it fully compresses the spring.

If you stopped at the first sign of resistance the screw is too far out to start the bike.

A life long student of motorcycling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 09:42:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb work - suggestions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.