stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Extra oil
01/28/15 at 06:56:43

Was reading a post about bikes burning oil, and it reminded me what I did in the event I ever needed oil while on the road.  After I mixed up my last batch of Rotella T6 and redline and changed the oil in the bike, i took a leftover 2 cycle oil container (around 6 oz I think) and cleaned it out really well and refilled it with my oil change mixture. Screwed the cap on tight, bagged it in a ziploc just in case, and I keep it in my saddlebag with my tools. Probably will never need it, but if I do come up low unexpectedly I know i have the 'right' oil for the job that'll at least be a little bit I can use to maybe get me home...or a good top off if I plan on going on an extended road trip and expect to burn a little oil.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Extra oil
Reply #1 - 01/28/15 at 08:07:20

I used a 2stroke oil container. Also carried apiece of wood with a groove across it to break the fill plug loose. A cap from a 90 wt. Oil screws on,no spill, no funnel. Once the oil starts getting some miles on it, it starts getting used more. A 40 mile 65 or so MPH run can use enough to make adding smart.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Extra oil
Reply #2 - 01/28/15 at 19:55:02

I always carry a couple of gallon zip loc bags in the saddle bags or back trunk.
And there is a Walmart usually with in 75 miles of each other LOL... buy a quart and put it in a bag...if you need to.
I actually went from north florida to north Carolina and back and never added any oil, I had it at the top of the window (bike level) and when I got back home after the trip it was still withing limits of the lower mark on the site glass.
I change the oil after the trip, but did not burn much on the way up and back... however , my bike has started to leak a little, so the next trip I might need to take along a top off (IF I ride the savage).

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 08:28:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Extra oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.