Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Old hard drive questions (Read 131 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Old hard drive questions
01/13/15 at 06:56:37

I've got a few HDDs lying around that I want to get files off of. They are XP and Win98 drives. I can't get Vista to recognize them. I have an external cable that plugs into the HDD and then feeds into the PC with a USB cable. The HDD also has it's own power source. It's some kind of adapter setup that I bought a few years ago. I know it works - I've used it in the past. It's a simple plug and play operation.

The problem is Vista won't recognize the drives even if I set them to slave. Do you think setting them to master or cable select would help? In the past (using a different operating system) I could just plug them in and a window would pop up corresponding to the HDD. I get nothing now. HELP!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Old hard drive questions
Reply #1 - 01/13/15 at 08:01:13

I think it's a vista issue.  I have a similar USB drive adapter and my son had said it didn't connect to some computers.  At the time, I didn't care as it connected to all of mine.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
TrevorKlein

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/13/15 at 09:10:22

yeah Visa really ain't so good better upgrade it to like windows 7 or 8 and then for sure it will work

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/13/15 at 15:00:04

I always move data in my desktop units by simply opening the case and adding the old drive as a second drive using the appropriate cables for the drive type and then copying the data over.  From there the data can also be transferred to a flash drive or a backup drive and transported to any any computer including a laptop.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 01/13/15 at 16:53:13

That's what I'm doing except the drive stays external. It's connected via a USB adapter. Works great (except now!  Angry) and I don't have to open the case.

Ok, I tried a Win7 PC and had the same bad luck. Any thoughts?

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/13/15 at 17:46:20

I don't know what could be causing your problems with the external transfer.  Maybe your device needs a driver that Vista does not support.  I have used Vista on newly built computers and had no problems with it in moving data between drives.  But the older Vista machines used USB I ports which are slow, very slow.  Does the Vista computer mainboard still use the ribbon type HDD cables or does it use the SATA cables for the drives.  If it uses ribbon cables and the old drives use the same style cable I would open the cases and try it that way.  Setting the older drives up as second drives might mean manually setting the jumper on the old drive to the "slave" pins.

Maybe you'll have to borrow a computer and do it with your USB device and then transfer the data via flash drive back to your Vista computer.  Staples was selling 32GB flash drives for about $12 before Xmas.  Good luck and I would like to hear about how you get it done.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 01/13/15 at 18:35:30

You might try buying an updated adapter set up. When my old adapter broke I baught a new one and it works fine on my Vista laptop. You can get one off of ebay for a good price.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 01/13/15 at 19:21:10

Most of the external USB drive adapters require the drive either be set to master or cable select since it is the only drive on the controller.  That might be some of your problem.

Does vista acknowledge a USB device being connected? Make sure the drive has power before connecting it to the pc.

This may help

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/troubleshoot-windows-wont-recognize-...

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 01/13/15 at 20:06:26

It will also require an older USB adapter, I do not believe Vista accepts USB 2.0 or higher... not sure... i'll have to fire up one of the old systems to see...but then, I don't have your cable setup either....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
TrevorKlein

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/14/15 at 14:22:11

windows 7 and still same problem hmm what I think is that the HDD u got the externals are corrupted ones maybe not sure or maybe even the wires u try to connect are bad not sure but do let me know

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 01/14/15 at 17:37:50

Thanks for the link Steve.

I'll get back with you guys about this if I get it working. All my flash drives (and anything else that is USB) work fine. I think the problem might lie in the HDD being old.

If I test the HDD power connector, what pins should I test and how much power should I get? 5 VDC, right?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 01/15/15 at 04:18:22

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

Everything you ever wanted to know about pc power connectors.  It has pinouts and voltage ratings for all standard power connections.

2.5" and smaller IDE get their power through the interface cable. I don't remember about the tiny SATA drives, sorry.  I've got one in an external box but don't have the time to open it right now.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 01/15/15 at 15:32:27

That's exactly what I needed! I'm going to test the output of the power cable. Hopefully all that's wrong is that it's bad. I'm thinking it's probably ok though. Thanks!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 01/15/15 at 18:30:02

Are there any differences in the way the HD was formated? NTFS/Fat32? especially since you are talking about older HD's   Roll Eyes

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 01/15/15 at 20:56:14

I really have no idea what that means but NTFS kinda rings a bell. Would it make a difference?

I'm going to install them internally when I get a chance to see if maybe my USB/SATA adapter has died.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:54:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › Old hard drive questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.