Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FREE legal Windows 8.1 from Microsoft (Read 65 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
FREE legal Windows 8.1 from Microsoft
01/12/15 at 09:10:13

http://onthehub.com/download/free-software/windows-8-1-pro-for-students/

FREE WINDOWS IS HERE NOW

Microsoft has started giving Win 8.1 away for free to PC users.   The site I have up top is an official site that has some "student" requirements, but you can trust it to get you a real product and a real valid permission to use it.

There are many other sites popping up on the web now from Europe and further east that are more dubious, but likely functional.

Microsoft is willing to throw Win 8.1 under the buss for free in order to get you on the gravy train.   Once you are on the gravy train, Win 10 is supposed to roll you over to the yearly subscription fee for a "constantly upgraded/updated product" arrangement.

For those who have been looking for a free Windows, it is here now.

==================================

Like all things MS there are conditions to be met for free software directly from MS.  You will need a email addy from an approved university to go the student route, but if you do and you "are registered to Computer Science" you can get DREAMSPARK which is free Win 8.1 OS and free Office and free lots of other stuff that I don't even know what it all does.

So, I could have it all for free.   But it requires me to get back on the weekly antivirus update & scan and constant defrag treadmill again ......     <yawn>

Huh     I already got free, and I don't have to do all that shite, ever

If you don't want to try to be a student, try this "open link"

http://windows-8-1.en.softonic.com/download

« Last Edit: 01/12/15 at 14:06:48 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: FREE legal Windows 8.1 from Microsoft
Reply #1 - 01/12/15 at 12:36:51

http://liliputing.com/2015/01/rumor-mediatek-considering-10-12-core-mobile-ch...

Mediatek reacts to free Win 8.1 and other upscale forces.

Artemis and Maya (ARM) has been privately released now to just about all the major players at this stage of the game.   The minor players have gotten wind of it through contacts and are scooping up inexpensive 64 bit A53 LITTLE core licenses and ALL OF THEM are putting out a full spread of new A53 multi-core chipsets (up to 8 cores).  

Only Qualcomm and Samsung have the more traditional A57/A53 big/LITTLE setups out in the wild at this point in time.   Way way overpowered and pretty much not needed, actually.

Mediatek is a strong oriental supplier who feels the need for a good scaleable top end offering to be coming on pretty soon -- so they are going with either a 10 core or a 12 core A53 "LITTLES only" to make up their bill.  

Sounds like Mediatek is counting on proposed new Maya core scheduling/integration software in Android 5.1 to allow Android 5.1 to make good use of all those cores.

Intel had better watch out -- Wintel's PC level integration ability of "many cores" gets kinda shaky after 6 cores whereas Linux (and Android, a type of Linux) can run very efficiently on supercomputers with HUNDREDS & HUNDREDS of cores, with different types of cores to boot   Intel is currently stuck at 4 cores on all of their current lower end processors and although they are larger more powerful cores they don't outshine an A53 by double over or anything close to that.

You can see Mediatek, Allwinner and Qualcomm's logic runs like this -- we already own the license for the little guy, they are physically tiny little things on 16/20nm chip silicon and you can put up to 24 of them in a totally integrated chipset (if you want to) and the scaled up and down energy burden of all the extra little guys at 16/20nm is less than a 50%-50% mix of bigs and LITTLES of some smaller total core count that gives about the same throughput.

Plus, it gives Mediatek a quickly implementable chipset for Chromebooks and also potentially for little Windows 10 laptops and boxes if such a market suddenly gets opened up by a really really good Windows 10 that can really handle some "mobile core count".

No one knows (not even MS at this stage of the game) just how good Win 10 is going to be.

Rest easy that ARM/Linaro/Google/processor makers are working in lock step with the new 5.1 Android which will be carrying full integration with the new upcoming Artemis and Maya chipset features.

At some point in time in the second half of this year Intel will have to declare what's going to be in Skylake because they will have to either be making it & shipping it to Apple by then or else be totally out of luck at that stage of the game.

Intel and ARM's final announcements will come out within a week of each other.   Until then, ARM/Google keeps quiet and keeps on doing .dot revs on their existing chipsets and software -- rolling in more new functionality without making any big fuss about it.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 01/15/15 at 09:30:52

Why all these extra little cores can work out well for you .....

...... remember that super cache, that read and calculate ahead and store the results super cache that was aimed at Chromebooks but was such a performance improver it got fired all the way across the board over at Google?    It is on phones now too.

Lots of little cores, working at low priority and at maximum efficiency in the background can keep that super buffer stocked up with all the stuff you need, ready to be delivered instantly to the screen upon request.

Next, think of a desktop chipset based off of MANY LITTLE ARM STANDARD CORES that uses ChromeOS/Android/Linux and the supercache technology.   No fan, no big purchase expense, just supercomputing on the cheap so to speak .....

I will be interested to see where these MANY LITTLE ARM STANDARD CORES based units wind up in the ranking against the core i-3 and core i-5 stuff from Intel.

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 01/15/15 at 10:49:29

I tend to shy away on anything "free".... ya know what they say.. "you get what you pay for"

Only thing that I've run across for free with no headaches or strings attached, was the quarter I found at Walmart parking lot...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:24:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › FREE legal Windows 8.1 from Microsoft

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.