Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
SUPERnew NEWBIE- No Headlight- Horn-fuses ok (Read 370 times)
ToYnGrL
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SUPERnew NEWBIE- No Headlight- Horn-fuses ok
01/01/15 at 17:07:52

Hey Guys, I have a 2011 Savage that a bought brand new. LOVE HER ! No problems...she's all stock...2nd Street bike. I'm up to date on all service, oil changes etc. Recently my gf put leather bags on the back that were too large for the space between "Savvy's" back blinkers. They BOTH broke off. I clipped the housing and taped 'EM up . Two days later my HEADLIGHT stated to intermittently go on and off, and now is OUT. Fuses aren't blown. That's as far as I've gotten. A guy from the local shop said it may be a faulty wiring harness somewhere. He made it sound like a SUPER BIG HEADACHE TO FIND. I have the extended warranty for another 10 months.
I'm NOT a mechanically inclined gal, BOOK WISE, I'm tactile....better with PICTURES....Anyway....does the back blinker incident have anything to do with the headlight....I wouldn't think so...but...and where should I start? Oh the " intermittent " in and out of the headlight happened when I turned the handlebars....THANKS IN ADVANCE

TOYNGRL~ Central Coast RideHers
2011 SHOWROOM STOCK SAVAGE
" my OTHER ride is a Surfboard...my OTHER surfboard is a SAVAGE"

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: SUPERnew NEWBIE- No Headlight- Horn-fuses ok
Reply #1 - 01/01/15 at 18:02:50

You probably want to repair the rear blinkers first - you know they're broken, if they're fixed, then they're probably not the issue. Take the seat off and inspect the wires to the blinkers - they run along the two black frame tubes going back.

Ready to take the tank off? Under the tank, towards the front, on the frame, there are two wiring blocks - one on the left, one on the right - these account for most wires going from the frame to the fork. You want to separate both of those blocks and reseat them to make sure they're connected.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/01/15 at 18:21:58

If you have a broken wire, it's going to be where the wiring goes into the headlight.
So, remove the headlight and check the wiring behind it.
While you're at it... check the bulb.

WWW   IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #3 - 01/01/15 at 21:47:21

First off, WELCOME!   Cheesy

Your title also mentions the horn, but I didn't see anything about it in your post.  Is that a problem as well?

Being electrical, this CAN be a headache, but it doesn't have to be.  Go about it slowly, methodically.  I wouldn't expect the turn signal issue to be related to your headlight at all.  Honestly with such a young bike I would EXPECT it to be something simple like a loose connector.  However what we expect and reality often don't meet...  If I was having this problem I would check the electrical connector under the gas tank.  This means removing the seat - 3 bolts, then draining the gas tank, removing the 2 bolts mounting the tank to the frame, and assuming you have a stock petcock you'd do well to remove the petcock rather than fight it through the frame.  Pull that off, and lift your tank up.  You'll see a big square electrical connector.  Make sure it's snug and latched; this being loose has cause several intermittent problems in the past.

You said extended warranty; do you have to pay anything for the shop to fix it?  If you can't find the problem easily, you may consider letting them chase their tales a bit.  Tongue

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Philmh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/01/15 at 22:33:14

Welcome! This site is a huge step in learning how to fix the bike yourself.  I personally can't believe all the help I have received and what I was able to do on my own!

If you have the extended warranty, will working on it yourself void it? Be sure to check the agreement before removing anything. Some shops don't and won't get into someone elses repair work in progress.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 01/02/15 at 05:26:25

I would check the left handlebar connector,under the tank.That controls headlight,turn and horn.They are known to come unplugged.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 01/02/15 at 05:33:42

Welcome!

There is a lot of knowledge out here about these bikes and everyone is glad to help if someone has a problem.

Every shortcoming, and there aren't many, of the bike has been identified and there is a fix for them all thanks to the great  folks here.

I had the lights go out on me like that before.  It was the connector block under the front of the gas tank.  I pulled it and plugged it back in, everything worked again. Mine also killed the engine when the lights went out.  Then when I had the time, I pulled the connector and cleaned the contacts, put some dielectric grease in it and reassembled.  No problem since then.

I hope it turns out to be that simple for you.  I have heard of broken or skinned wires going into the headlight also. If that's the problem, you might have to get a VOM and trace out which wire doesn't get power when you turn.

Good luck.  Post if you have any questions or problems, someone will answer. The people here can talk you through anything. Just be patient and answer their questions.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
ToYnGrL
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/04/15 at 15:57:25

Wow. THANK YOU ALL so much for your SURPRISINGLY easy to understand replies to my wiring issue! ( hate to say it ,but I'm just not use to having guys speak to me in a language I don't have to translate somehow?....THANKFULLY we are all just BIKERS HERE! Wink
The "tail chasing" advice for the warranty is probably the route I will be going to go AFTER I chk the connections ,BUT BEFORE I get under the gas tank.....and yes the horn is out also. I DO have the SUZUKI SERVICE MANUAL ( which I stupidly paid 150$ for) it might as well BE in Japanese! Hey anyone want a INEXPENSIVE SERVICE BOOK...TRADE A FOR A LEFT BLINKER HOUSING...LOL yeah I know there's a forum for Smiley
I WILL DEFINATLEY go to the tech section to find out what a PETCOCK  is ....right after I get up from R.O.F.A.L.M.A.O!
( cumom...I'm STILL A CHICK! It's FUNNY!)
Thanks again! Keep ya posted😘

image_195.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/04/15 at 16:41:45

If nothing on the left handlebar electric control works (horn, headlight, turn signals)....then I would suspect the harness plug has just come loose.  You might be able to wiggle a hand in between the tank and frame and wiggle the connector.  It will be on the left hand side of the bike, very near where the fuel tank mount on the front inside of the tank is located.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Skiprrdog
YaBB Newbies

are we there yet?

Tucson, AZ
Reply #9 - 01/04/15 at 17:50:47

Welcome to the forum and nice bike! Actually we technical types refer to the petcock as 'the fuel thingy under the tank'. Allow me to go all Mr. know-it-all here; the pet in petcock refers to petrol, and the second part refers to a UK term, 'stopcock' (which actually sounds kind of funny all by itself) Roll Eyes

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 01/04/15 at 18:44:47

You're gonna be glad you have the manual. It's gonna make sense after a while.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 01/05/15 at 18:47:26

I have had the same problem with my headlight, horn, and turn signals.  They have been working intermittently for a long while now.   Today, with the help of a buddy who is a seasoned mechanic I should have them fix permanently.

When sitting on the bike, under the tank on the right hand side we had to cut, splice, and weather pac three wires around the bracket where they join.  Some of the connectors were corroded; although, I wouldn’t have thought we would have to fix three wires.  One was the orange, one was orange with a red stripe, and I didn’t watch him do the last.  I also had a problem in the dimmer switch by the left hand controls.  I don’t quite understand how those wires affect everything because they go to the right hand controls.  It was interesting watching him work, he followed the wiring diagram like I would read a kids book.   But it is working now.    Smiley

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
ToYnGrL
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/04/15 at 16:06:17

Hey Guys! Well after letting Savvy sit for a few , I have her apart....seat off...tank off ...and with the help off my Brother am checking all the things suggested here on the Forum....NO DICE...the VOM has power into the fuse box then we start to  get sketchy ..we went under the left handle grip etc...blinkers...front ones still have power so does license plate light....suggestions? I ordered two sets of new CHROME BLINKERS so I'm waiting on those....

IP Logged
LS650THUMPER

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ma
Reply #13 - 03/09/15 at 17:35:28

I have a '05....With bike running, I have noticed my headlight and front running lights will go out when I turn the handle bars and start to ride. If I wiggle the wiring under the right side of tank the lights will come back on.... Seems like the connection must be corroded or something like that. The wiring looks like it heads to the right grip control. Any info/ideas welcome. Ty all. Cool

IP Logged
ToYnGrL
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/10/15 at 15:05:33

Ok! We found the culprit of my issue! After  NOT finding ANY corrosion, loose connections and getting power EVERYWHERE!.....my Brother does what I've seen MOST GUYS DO when something doesn't work...( no offense guys  Wink he started "tapping" on stuff...sure as nuts things stated to come alive! Wouldn't ya know it, I can't find my shop manual! So we took a pic. What is this thing....AND IT STILL IS INTERMITTENT!  :'( So. Needless to say Savvy still sits. I'm SURE this is warranty covered tho!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:24:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › SUPERnew NEWBIE- No Headlight- Horn-fuses ok

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.