Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phone charge port and holder (Read 130 times)
BacktobasicsZM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Phone charge port and holder
07/07/15 at 08:14:15

What are thoughts for adding a phone charging cord?   Has anyone come up with a logical way to stash phone and wallet somewhere on the bike?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Phone charge port and holder
Reply #1 - 07/07/15 at 08:33:06

I picked up one of these to plug into my BatterTender port, but have never ended up using it yet. I figured I could just keep the phone in either my coat pocket or the saddlebags and keep it charged this way, but have not been on any longer rides where I felt I needed to charge my phone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041CDPQO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_d...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 07/07/15 at 11:20:59

What about this one? Seems to rate well, but there are a few folks that said their crapped out, melted, etc. Wonder if that was a user error of faulty product?

I like this one because almost all charging cords nowadays are USB.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0158-Disconnect-Charger/dp/B00DJ5KEF...

51dBlo3exL__SX522_.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/07/15 at 11:39:25

I have done several different things....they all work.

On the little Ninja, I used a Cigarette Lighter socket that I got at the Auto Parts store.  It is a flat mounting surface, and the foam mounting tape holds it tight to the backside of the fairing.  You just plug in your cigarette lighter charger.....most likely they are not very waterproof...but neither is my phone.

On the Honda ST1100 I have plenty of room, and I used one of these.  They are a bit bulky and have thick wiring, and they come in both single or dual charger models.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Mobile-Phone-GPS-Waterproof-Dual-USB-Power...

On the Cafe bike I just couldn't find a good place to mount the phone or the charger.  So I bought a battery back up and when the phone in my pocket runs down......I just plug it in to this back up battery.  I can get about 4 charges and it keeps me in phone all day long.  I have a Bluetooth headset, so I can answer calls or hear the GPS navigation with the phone in my pocket.  The only downside is I have to stop and get the phone out of my pocket to dial calls or to change the GPS navigation.  The really cool part about this is the thing was cheap, requires nothing to be done on the bike, and it also works when camping or hiking.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/5600mAh-Universal-Power-Bank-Backup-External-Batter...

With any of the above....you might consider a good tool roll mounted on the top of the forks, or a small tank bag.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BacktobasicsZM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/07/15 at 11:50:07

Great info so far.  I want to find a place for the wallet and phone, as I feel crooked when the wallet is in the back pocket, and I am looking to be as balanced as possible as a new rider.  I was thinking one of the leather "sunglasses" type holder up top near the tank somewhere.  Eventually, I would like to be able to listen to some music through the phone.  I figure a maintenance charge during this time wouldn't be a burden to the charging system.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/07/15 at 11:56:58

wallet goes in front pocket, phone goes in map pocket.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 07/07/15 at 12:00:32

Here's my handlebar bag. Works great for those things you need at your fingertips.

IMG_20150705_161849.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 07/07/15 at 13:07:05

BacktobasicsZM wrote on 07/07/15 at 11:50:07:
 I want to find a place for the wallet and phone, as I feel crooked when the wallet is in the back pocket, and I am looking to be as balanced as possible as a new rider.

As a new rider....you are riding with an armor equipped jacket....right?

That is where I keep my wallet and phone....in my jacket pockets.  Even when I am riding in 90+ degree weather.....I have a jacket on.

IP Logged
BacktobasicsZM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/07/15 at 13:50:29

Jacket, and first riders class is coming.  Right now, are neighborhood jaunts to get comfortable.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/07/15 at 13:59:16

BacktobasicsZM wrote on 07/07/15 at 13:50:29:
Jacket, and first riders class is coming.  Right now, are neighborhood jaunts to get comfortable.

I am not comfortable without a protective jacket, gloves and helmet....even after more than 45 years of riding.  I feel horribly vulnerable without my gear on.

I can only think of 2 days I ever rode with my jacket attached to the back of my bike....both days the temperature was approaching 100 and I was in city traffic, and it was almost certain heat stroke if I kept the jacket on.

IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #10 - 07/08/15 at 16:33:46

My FIRST purchase after getting my Savage (first bike in 25 yrs) was an open faced helmet with a full flip down clear visor. All the protection of the motocross type full face, but still lets air in.

My second purchase was a Cortech armored jacket with zip out lining and reflective white strips. Best $120 I ever spent. Armor plates in the shoulders and elbows, as well as lower mid-back.

I see these yahoo's riding 750's in T-shirts and sneakers and shorts...and I just shake my head. Roll Eyes

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Drey
YaBB Newbies

Seattle, WA
Reply #11 - 07/08/15 at 19:41:54

stewmills wrote on 07/07/15 at 11:20:59:
What about this one? Seems to rate well, but there are a few folks that said their crapped out, melted, etc. Wonder if that was a user error of faulty product?

I like this one because almost all charging cords nowadays are USB.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0158-Disconnect-Charger/dp/B00DJ5KEF...

I have one of those and I run a short cord into my jacket pocket when I think my phone is going to die on me. Only used it a handful of times but seems to work fine. Slowly charges the phone.

I've considered getting one of these for pulling up GPS but despite all the great reviews I just keep picturing hitting a bump and my phone going flying...

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ram-mounts-universal-cell-phone-holder-kit

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #12 - 07/08/15 at 22:15:40

I use one of these and it works really well.  I've hit some massive road hazards and it does it's job well.  I paid $1 (free ship) for it on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Bicycle-MTB-Bike-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Clip-...

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/08/15 at 23:37:01

stewmills wrote on 07/07/15 at 12:00:32:
Here's my handlebar bag. Works great for those things you need at your fingertips.

I really like that handlebar bag! What brand is it and where did you get it? Also, do you have a pic of how the back mounts?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:17:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Phone charge port and holder

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.