Send Topic Print
starting problem (Read 102 times)
savagetyler650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

starting problem
12/31/14 at 16:36:17

Just got my 2003 suzuki savage back from the local shop cause my bike wasnt starting at all. They figured out i had a bad relay and regulator. So i got a new regulator, relay, and just to be sure a new battery. They got the bike to come back to life but it takes awhile for her to start up. I do have some modifications to the bike but it never did this before. She cranks and cranks but doesnt wanna start. What could be a solution to this problem?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: starting problem
Reply #1 - 12/31/14 at 16:47:39

Year,miles, mods,
Don't twist the gas and IF the battery is Not plenty hot, New or not,it won't get there. The starter will spin but the spark won't be enough.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savagetyler650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/31/14 at 16:50:08

2003 almost 6000 miles and i have a drag pipe with k&n cone filter. so your thinking my battery is not full charged? cause when i got to the shop it was hooked up to the tender and charging and it started right up

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 12/31/14 at 18:11:53

Instant clue,,,

Until you've been in here and asked for help and done what these guys suggest,don't pay anyone to work on it. We have seen at least two cases where The Professional mechanics have installed oil filters bakkerds and destroyed engines..and the number who have been sold parts and Services that were Bravo Sierra is beyond counting.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
crookscrooks
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/31/14 at 18:19:25

What's the weather like where you are?

IP Logged
savagetyler650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/01/15 at 06:28:27

i live in miami florida where its pretty humid year round. I use a little thicker oil than the normal because of the heat down here. you guys think maybe the thicker oil is making the bike hard to crank. cause when she runs she purrrring like a kitty all day until the next morning.

IP Logged
savagetyler650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/01/15 at 09:25:51

fixed the problem guys! my pilot jet was way to big and flooding my engine not allowing her to crank. changed her to the factory pilot and she started first try!!! YES!!

IP Logged
savagetyler650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

carburetor problems
Reply #7 - 01/01/15 at 16:23:02

So ive been having very frequent problems with trying to start my bike ( 2003, 6000 miles, with a drag pipe and cone filter) this past month.
I have a new spark plug battery and all my electrical seems fine. I couldnt get the bike to start and i was smelling gas so i suspected that maybe i could be flooding my engine. so i took apart the carb changed my pilot jet to a 52.5 instead of a 55 and cleaned every nook and cranny.
And presto!! it worked first crank and she was purring like a beast so i celebrated came back a few hours later and non the less she doesnt wanna start again. i have a strong feeling it has something to do with the carb. need some help guys cant let her sit in the garage anylonger!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: carburetor problems
Reply #8 - 01/01/15 at 16:40:48

How does the plug look after the run?

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 01/01/15 at 16:48:02

savagetyler650 wrote on 01/01/15 at 16:23:02:
So ive been having very frequent problems with trying to start my bike ( 2003, 6000 miles, with a drag pipe and cone filter) this past month.
I have a new spark plug battery and all my electrical seems fine. I couldnt get the bike to start and i was smelling gas so i suspected that maybe i could be flooding my engine. so i took apart the carb changed my pilot jet to a 52.5 instead of a 55 and cleaned every nook and cranny.
And presto!! it worked first crank and she was purring like a beast so i celebrated came back a few hours later and non the less she doesnt wanna start again. i have a strong feeling it has something to do with the carb. need some help guys cant let her sit in the garage anylonger!

Do you still have the stock vacuum operated petcock on your bike ? If so, you might want to read this:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

IP Logged
savagetyler650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/01/15 at 18:39:57

well i change the plug not to long and and checked it this morning and seemed fine to me. But i did check out the link that oldnslow attached on here. read the whole thing and started by giving my float bowl a lil tap with the end of a screw driver and bam! she cranked right up. seems like my float is getting stuck might buy a new one or just give this one a good cleaning and hopefully it wont keep acting up. but thanks alot for the help gentleman!

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #11 - 01/01/15 at 21:36:09

Definitely, just clean it.  Don't buy a new float unless it sinks.  You might try an additive such as seafoam, but don't overdo or else it won't run right.  That could take care of it, but a proper thorough cleaning will definitely clear it up.  Wink

How do you like your drag pipe?  I'm sure it's loud, but does it get you going?

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
savagetyler650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/02/15 at 07:17:34

how could i tell if the float sinks? well i have the drag pipe from blue collar bobbers and it has a baffle so its not stupid loud but not quite either. Ive had other mufflers on my savage before and that were ridiculously to loud. so im happy with this drag pipe

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 01/02/15 at 13:05:26

Take the float out and shake it... You feela th slosha, shesa sinka.
Rare to see it, more often the valve,more often than that,crud in the valve..

IP Logged
savagetyler650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

weird carb /  starting issue
Reply #14 - 01/04/15 at 06:01:57

So ive been back and forth on this site trying to figure out whats wrong with my bike. Not sure if its my float being stuck or my vaccum line or my petcock. Yesturday i took the carb out clean the diaphragm all the jets and float pretty darn well. it seems spotless to my eye.

I attached the carb back on the bike and noticed there was a lil slit in the vaccum line so i tapped that up because i dont have an extra hose. Than I hooked everything up and bam! first try no sketch it turned on and was ideling very well. Took the bike out for a spin didnt get and sputtering just a smooth ride in all gears. So i thought the problem was fixed a leaky vaccum hose right? Wrong i waited for the bike to cool down to give it a cold start. ( didnt wanna get to excited cause its been doing this ) The bike was finally cold tryed to crank her and NOTHING. Cant tell she the bike is not getting any gas or if the float is stuck ( even though i cleaned her very well).There is also no gas leaks of flooding or anything. Im just stumped on what this problem is. I no im close i can feeeeel it but theres something still acting up. any ideas could help to fix the problem!

« Last Edit: 01/04/15 at 08:00:10 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 07:20:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › starting problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.