Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Battery charging question (Read 109 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Battery charging question
12/18/14 at 08:29:41

A friend of mine has a classic car, that doesn't run that often. The battery is 3 years old and looks like new. I didn't check it before we started charging it , but after 7 hours charging on a 2-10 amp charger, it read 12.49 volts. The charging rate was at 6 amps most of the time. I was wondering if we should continue to charge it to try to get it higher? This seemed like a long time to charge, and I'm concerned we could cook the battery or something . what do you think . I think the car will start now.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Battery charging question
Reply #1 - 12/18/14 at 08:38:45

A modern 12V car battery is going to take a long time to fully charge at 6Amps. The car's alternator(or generator depending on how "classic" the car is ) probably puts out around 30 Amps. Newer car charging systems are much higher - 60 Amps or more.

You can safely charge that battery at 20 Amps.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/18/14 at 09:13:33

The battery in my car is 40 amp hours.  Using a 6 amp charger, it would take 40/6= 6.7 hours to bring it to a full charge from flat dead.

If the battery was sitting dead for 2 years.....it may no longer be any good.  A 3 year old battery is 3 years old....even if it isn't used often they deteriorate, especially if allowed to sit without any charge.

If the car will start, then take the charger off, start the car and let the generator/alternator do the charging.  Then put a battery tender on when the car is stored again.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 12/18/14 at 09:32:02

For fully discharged batteries, the following table lists the recommended battery charging rates and times:

80 Minutes or less [32 ampere hours or less]

15 Hours @ 3 amps

5 Hours @ 10 amps

80 to 125 Minutes [32 to 50 ampere hours]

21 Hours @ 4 amps

7.5 Hours @ 10 amps

125 to 170 Minutes [50 to 68 ampere hours]

22 Hours @ 5 amps

10 Hours @ 10 amps

170 to 250 Minutes [68 to 100 ampere hours]

23 Hours @ 6 amps

7.5 Hours @ 20 amps

Above 250 Minutes [over 100 ampere hours]

24 Hours @ 10 amps

6 Hours @ 40 amps

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 12/18/14 at 10:31:55

aint even gonne TRY to help unless you come across with at LEAST what kinda car info, color, engine, some drool stuff,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #5 - 12/18/14 at 13:52:50

OK JOG, the car is a 69 AMX, 390,bored out,Dark Blue, edlebrock 4 barrel,Really clean.It has around 80k mi  on it,and its beautiful. He enters it in alot of shows,and has a room full of trophy's.Thanks all you guys for your answers,it's really Helpful. Where does it tell you how many amp hours a battery is?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 12/18/14 at 15:46:40

Quote:
Where does it tell you how many amp hours a battery is

Most car batteries won't have that on the sticker on the battery. Car batteries are most often rated for CCA - cold cranking Amps - which is basically a measure of how long the battery can supply enough juice to run the starter and crank the engine over at 0 degrees. The higher that number the better. The sticker will also state the "Reserve Capacity of the battery.  This is a measurement of how many minutes a battery can withstand a steady drain- I think they use 25 Amps. before it needs to be recharged. Tells you how long you can leave the lights on with the car shut off before the battery won't crank the engine.

I don't know if there is a way to translate CCA or RC into Amp Hours.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 12/18/14 at 18:36:23

Here's a little blurb from Optima about reserve capacity and CCA.

The Battery Council International (BCI) has created a group of standardized specifications that help give consumers an apples to apples comparison from one product to the next. Cold cranking amps is one of those specifications, as is Reserve Capacity. So what is Reserve Capacity? It is a time measurement that explains how long a fully-charged battery can deliver 25 amps of current in an 80°F-environment, before the battery is discharged down to 10.5 volts. - See more at: http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/experience/power-source/battery-reserve-...

Thus, reserve capacity can be roughly calculated into amp-hours if you really want to.  take the minutes of reserve capacity, multiply by 25 (amps) then divide by 60(minutes in an hour) to get amp-hours.  This will get you somewhere close.  There are other variables in there too regarding the way the battery is made internally, how well it handles slow discharge (if you're really discharging at 1 amp), lots of chemical reaction stuff that I don't even pretend to understand.

Note that down to 10.5v is DEAD.  A starting type battery will not tolerate this type of use for more than a few cycles before it begins to rapidly deteriorate. They are designed to provide a blast of current quickly and then be quickly recharged.

Most of the renewable energy folks say never take a battery below 60% if you want it to last and they prefer never below 80%.  They've had years of playing with batteries to figure it out.  And, they are using expensive deep discharge batteries.

If the car is going to be sitting, self-discharge will have the battery pretty well dead in a month.  Use a battery tender or put on a 2 amp charge for a day every other week to keep the battery up.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 12/18/14 at 19:09:55

At 6 amps it would take about a full day for it to get anywhere near 13v.
I have started my truck (2000 5.4L F150) when the battery was at about 12.3v (old battery before I replaced it), but I use my truck all the time.
If the car has been sitting for longer than 3 months without running and its not fuel injected....prime the carb with starting fluid, once it starts it should charge the battery.
He has had the car long enough to know its quirks, so if it is not starting, and he is following the same old pattern he has done in the past, get a new battery.
I know most show car guys are fanatics about their cars, and always have them trickle charging or simply removing the batteries and replacing them for "show time" so they don't corrode and make a nasty in the engine compartment..... they also drain fuels completely... maybe he is getting lax in his old age. Tongue

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #9 - 12/19/14 at 04:39:26

I know that the AMX is the performance model but my Mom had a 69 Javelin, it was a cool car  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 12/19/14 at 04:58:24

I almost bought an AMX about 25 years ago.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 12/19/14 at 10:22:08

ToesNose wrote on 12/19/14 at 04:39:26:
I know that the AMX is the performance model but my Mom had a 69 Javelin, it was a cool car  Wink  

AMX was actually more than just a 'performance model' as the chassis was modified to make a 2 seat 'sports car' on a shortened wheelbase, though the Javelin was the car they started with to do that
There was also a 'hopped up' performance model of the 4 seat Javelin, called the 'SST'

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 12/19/14 at 13:03:28

Left the key on on the backhoe, not a big motor,3 cylinder, 60ish HP, but it has a pretty Phat battery. I only had a 6 amp charger, after several hours I was discouraged, took it to see if they were gonna stand up for the warranty..
BUT,they tested it and charged it and I have killed it Again,, but I got a bigger charger (HF) and was able to get it charged up with out a trip to town..

Oh yeah, thanks for the Drool Details...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #13 - 12/19/14 at 14:58:49

Thanks for all the useful info.Turns out the battery charged up good, and the car fired up,no problem.My friend is looking into a battery tender.Thanks again.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 12/20/14 at 03:59:44

rl153 wrote on 12/19/14 at 14:58:49:
My friend is looking into a battery tender.Thanks again.

Stay away from thee $6 Harbor Freight ones......they don't have any indicators to show that they are cycling on/off or even working.  Spend some money and get a decent one.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 09:01:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › Battery charging question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.