Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Soldering cable tips/making cable stops (Read 181 times)
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Soldering cable tips/making cable stops
12/05/14 at 05:00:02

I thought this was a good idea, I've had issues in the past with shortening cables and this would have been a great method to use. It may not be the best looking cable ends, but it seems to do the trick. Just thought I'd share with you guys.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Soldering cable tips/making cable stops
Reply #1 - 12/05/14 at 05:41:56

Plug in not supported,,, Ohh well.

I was called Bondo J. Motorpool at a job. Started off,6 weeks,unwarping a Mack cabover that had been grandmaster. Then the clutch went out on the wireline truck,then they needed a driver,and maintenance man for the trucks and pumps.. I made battery cables using copper tubing, hammered,soldered,drilled and shaped on a grinder. Wooo Hoooo copper gets HOT. Maybe I should have soldered before grinding.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 12/05/14 at 05:57:22

I watched the video.....and I suppose if I was stranded someplace with little tools, I might use this method.

I have made my own cables, and I either buy or make brass ends to solder onto the cable.  They look much nicer than the solder globs that come out of that wood block.  This video does have me curious though.....what would happen if you made the mold out of aluminum, and made it so the mold was in two halves and could be taken apart?  The solder won't stick to aluminum.....and the aluminum won't burn when you heat it to melt the solder.  Folks that cast their own bullets most likely  could just pour melted lead into the mold - and I would imagine it would be desirable to "tin" the end of the cable before placing it in the mold.

If I have time I will try building a mold this weekend.  The first thing I will try however is just drilling a hole between two pieces aluminum, and seeing what happens when you melt the solder between the two halves.

There are lots of places you can buy the brass cable ends online.  Here is a link to one available from Dime City.
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 12/07/14 at 04:43:25

Yea the guy in the video did a crude job of it, but in general the process was a good idea. The same thought about casting them came to mind when I first watched it too Dave  Wink

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 12/07/14 at 05:28:07

Wouldn't the aluminum cool the lead too much to make a good joint?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 12/07/14 at 06:54:40

arteacher wrote on 12/07/14 at 05:28:07:
Wouldn't the aluminum cool the lead too much to make a good joint?

I think you would have to heat the aluminum so that the solder does not instantly cool when it is in the mold.

I doubt I will be able to make the test mold this weekend....the sun has come out and I may do yard work while the weather is nice.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 12/07/14 at 10:17:57

Plenty of bullet mold vids on utoob
and is essentially the same process.

don't get the methyl hydrate on aluminum...
Quote:
One of the potential drawbacks of using high concentrations of methanol (and other alcohols, such as ethanol) in fuel is the corrosivity to some metals of methanol, particularly to aluminum. Methanol, although a weak acid, attacks the oxide coating that normally protects the aluminum from corrosion

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 12/07/14 at 17:39:19

Well, I was able to waste 1.5 hours on this today.

I made a mold in 2 halves out of aluminum, and they are held together with a screw.

The mold was suspended by a long screw held in the vise so the heat would not just transfer too quickly to the vise.  I dipped the end of the cable in a liquid soldering flux, and then inserted it into the mold.

I then placed a small piece of solder into the bottom of the mold, and began heating it with a propane torch.  When the solder began to melt I then kept shoving in more solder until the mold was full and stopped heating it.

When I tried to separate the mold halves....they were stuck together tight and it took one side in a vice and the other side I had to hit with a block of wood and a hammer to get them apart.  The piece looked good and the cable was stuck in the piece really tight.

Well I tried and tried - but it was impossible to get the solder out of the second mold.  It was stuck tight :'(

I guess I learned that solder does stick to aluminum!  So...I will just keep making my cable ends out of brass, and them solder them to the cable.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #8 - 12/08/14 at 08:37:04

Dave,

Thanks for going through the motions to see if that would really work, I know I was contemplating it. I'll look at those brass ends from now on as well.
Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 12/08/14 at 08:51:54

The alternate here would be to get some aluminum tubing of the required diameter, drill the hole in the side for the cable and fill it with lead.

The take away from this would be soldering is acceptable method of joining the cable to the barrel.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 12/08/14 at 09:08:46

I know they can cast lead bullets in molds.  I suspect the fact that the mold is not at the melting temperature of the solder keeps the solder from sticking to the mold.

It well could be that this system would work if I heated up the mold a bit, then had the lead/solder molten and poured it into the mold.  I might pull the stuff back out of the trash....and try it one more time. Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 12/08/14 at 19:12:55

Ahhh, That kinda cable... not battery...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #12 - 12/09/14 at 18:20:34

Just put butter on the molds. ...well it works for cup cakes!

Nicely done Dave,  bummer it stuck  on the one side  Huh

IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #13 - 12/11/14 at 11:50:11

Aluminum does work for bullet molds, also fish sinker molds, got a couple of those myself. However, in my admittedly limited knowledge of aluminum, there are lots of different alloys and it wouldn't surprise me that some of them do stick to solder.

Another issue could be that the drilled hole wasn't exactly centered on the split between the two halves, so while one side falls off easily, the other side is mechanically locked in place. From a friend of mine that made a bullet mold once because he couldn't buy what he wanted, he said you had to be centered on the split within one or two thousandths to get the mold to release.

Also, the surfaces have to be polished to an almost mirror finish, otherwise there's too many edges for the lead to grab onto.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #14 - 12/11/14 at 19:15:50

Dave, Try coating the insides of your mould with soot from a candle. The soot or candle black will act as a release agent between the aluminum and solder. Been casting wheel weight lead bullets for target shooting and coat the moulds with soot for easier release.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 06:26:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › Soldering cable tips/making cable stops

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.