Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ignition Switch Relocation (Read 99 times)
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Ignition Switch Relocation
12/17/14 at 11:55:14

Has anyone here relocated their Savage/S40 Ignition Switch? I'm talking about the one that the key goes into. I don't really care for it down on the side, thinking about putting it up top near where the handlebars bolt to the tree. Since I'm re-doing a lot of wiring on the bike this winter anyways, it doen't look like too bad of a job. Four strands of wire that need to be extended about five feet or so...

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Ignition Switch Relocation
Reply #1 - 12/17/14 at 13:00:03

It can be done....the RYCA Cafe' conversions all have them relocated to where the speedometer is located in the center of the fuel tank.  They then install a speedo and tach up on the triple tree.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/17/14 at 20:04:04

I always thot where the key was was cool.. But I made sure I had no keys other than the bike on it.. Spun up a leather fob, worked great,, BUT I did leave the keys in it quite a few times,, ON a couple of times,, but its a real uncomfortable feeling in the gut when youre leaving a store and slap the pocket and "No Keys",,,,  and ya KNow ya left them,, Now,, IS there still a bike out there? Whewww! Yep,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 12/18/14 at 03:54:30

Yep, in cars the extra keys on the key ring can flop around and dangle and do no damage.  I have never really thought about it - but the folks that make cars may very well design that into the car.

Motorcycle manufacturers seem to place the ignition switches right next to shiny paint and body panels, or up on the triple tree, or someplace where dangly keys just doesn't work well or scratches the bike.  I just keep my motorcycle keys off the key ring.....just a really easy to lose single key in my pocket!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #4 - 12/18/14 at 05:37:01

Well, my key ring is pretty minimalist, 4-5 keys and a fob is it. But, that's more than I want hanging off the side of my bike. I'm also afraid of leaving them in with the bike "on" so by moving them right up top, they'll be right in plain sight.

Thinking about building an "add-on" to the speedo housing to set the switch into. I'll take my time and get it all laid out. Might build a mirror on the other side to house a USB port so I can charge my GPS. Or I may clamp them both to the handlebars... Time to mock some stuff up out of cardboard and see if I like it.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
SavageCat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central VA
Reply #5 - 12/18/14 at 06:11:09

Just another option, not on the handlebar, but relocated nonetheless. I keep a nickel sized Neodymium magnet taped to the key, and when I get where I am going, I remove the key and tuck it under the frame somewhere, no dangling issues...with the key anyway  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:43:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ignition Switch Relocation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.