Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Cam chain  theory (Read 216 times)
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Cam chain  theory
11/21/14 at 09:53:10

Hi All, I've  read most of the info about the cam chain tensioner and chain. I am about to get a verslavy soon. I have read that the newer model s40s have crappy chinese chains. Should i change the chain when i get the verslavy. I just dont want to have to keep tearing into this thing instead of enjoying riding it. I have an 07 s40 with 8500 miles.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #1 - 11/21/14 at 11:18:16

You have an '07 with 8500 miles, 1100 miles a year.
If you rode it once a month for a 100 miles, your chain will be fine and will likely get 30,000 miles out of it.
If you rode it every day for 3 miles, your chain is likely half dead and needs a verslavy.

Yes it supposed that later chains come from china.  But low life chains are ridden daily a short mileage versus once in a while for really long mileage.

And what are you going to replace it with?  The same chain.
Better to get the full life outta the chain.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 11/24/14 at 06:56:09

Just plan on replacing the chain around every 20,000 miles. The adjuster was out at almost 17mm after only 10,000 mikes on my '02 which was close to the safe limit. Installed a Slavy (no pin) and expect to be back in the side cover at 20k miles.
 Replacing the chain is a lot more work with pulling the clutch pack, why make the any harder than needed. And as Verslagen said what are you going to replace it with, just the same cheap chain that's in there.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/25/14 at 17:01:00

I've read all I could find on this site about cam chains and adjusters. I appreciate all the experience and brainpower contributed.  But I cannot find a description of symptoms of when the chain becomes worn and slack or the adjuster has reached its' limits and no longer tensions the chain. My '96 (20,000 miles) runs great and strong until 69-70 mph in 5th gear. Then it cuts out like fuel starvation until I back off the throttle. Could this be caused by a worn chain or adjuster? Perhaps not opening the valves all the way at high RPM?  I am confident my carburetion is OK. I'm well schooled on Mikunis from my crazed you as a long time motoctosser.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/25/14 at 18:02:27

49mack wrote on 11/25/14 at 17:01:00:
I've read all I could find on this site about cam chains and adjusters. I appreciate all the experience and brainpower contributed.  But I cannot find a description of symptoms of when the chain becomes worn and slack or the adjuster has reached its' limits and no longer tensions the chain. My '96 (20,000 miles) runs great and strong until 69-70 mph in 5th gear. Then it cuts out like fuel starvation until I back off the throttle. Could this be caused by a worn chain or adjuster? Perhaps not opening the valves all the way at high RPM?  I am confident my carburetion is OK. I'm well schooled on Mikunis from my crazed you as a long time motoctosser.

Nope....cam chain won't cause that symptom.

Do you still have the stock vacuum petcock? Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 11/26/14 at 10:23:23

NO, cam chain won't cause that, But, at 20,000 miles it IS time to get in there and look at it.
You can try to Prove its starving by running up till it acts up and shut off the engine But I suspect that as it winds down it would give the petcock time to load the bowl, so maybe you'd need to slap a clamp on the fuel line, then hit the kill,,, and I don't know if all that can be done safely at speed.
IF you do that AND you live, then drain the bowl into a cup or a piece of clear tubing on the nipple held up by the bowl will show you the gas level In the bowl. Maybe the float height is not right, if you have a filter,insufficient flow,,, lots of possibilities

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/18/14 at 05:58:03

I have changed the stock petcock to an OEM raptor, added a fuel filter, removed the California emissions, box, added a cone air filer and rejetted the carb for best performance and correct tan plug color. My local (highly experienced tech) thinks it's carburetion. The float height is set correctly. It just seems like it is encountering fuel starvation at 69-70 mph. And yes, it did this before I added the fuel filter. I have increased the main jet in in increments of 145 to 150, 150 to 155, then 155 to 160. Ech upsize added more top end mph until I installed the 160. With the 160, it ran worse so I went back to the 155. Also pilot jet size was changed 42.5 Yes, I've been completely through the carburetor. Best I can get is 69-70 mph which isn't enough to keep from getting run over on brief interstate jaunts. It runs strong until 69 mph.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 12/18/14 at 06:05:26

Tell us about the muffler.  Is it stock, or something else?

The baffles in the muffler can come loose and block flow.  Our own Verslagen had this experience a few months ago....

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:26:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Cam chain  theory

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.